Japan vs Australia WCQ [R]

Discussion in 'Australia' started by RickChelsea, Nov 20, 2008.

1. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    my prediction:

0-0

2. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Talk about a backhanded compliment! :D

Personally I think we're up against it tonight but that's just because we are lacking confidence. Even if we lose tonight we're still in the box seat to go through. We need to show some faith in some of the 2nd tiers. It's not like they're duds. If we get beaten in midfield then I think we're cooked. However, if that doesn't happen, we'll win.

3. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm feeling a win.

4. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I've got a inkling it'll be a draw. I'm not overly confident TBH.

5. nathanakata

nathanakata New Member

Mar 20, 2007
    MELBOURNE
    Kmon socceroos

6. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  7. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Right, I'm pleased with the way things are going although I think we're susceptible to making stupid fouls within 30 metres of the net. That has to stop. Other than that I think Australia's doing a wonderful job of suffocating Japan's options in midfield and forcing them to play through their wingers or directly into the middle. Our defense, for all the bad words said about them before the match, are holding up extremely well so far, but as expected this lone striker thing isn't really giving us many opportunities.

At this point it's going to come down set pieces to decide the match, I believe. Limit the close fouls and Japan will have a hard time registering anything on the scoreboard. Gain a few corners here and there for us and we might put one into the net, forcing Japan to completely open up in attack and make mistakes; also leaving their defenses open.

Personal synopsis:

Score - it looks like it will remain 0-0 at 90 minutes, but if someone scores, I think it will stay 1-0.

What Japan must do - keep the pressure up by pushing the ball around outside the penalty box. Australia's defense is holding up, but is vulnerable to Japan's bursts of speed up the middle when they've got the ball down in the last third. Expose Australia's tenacity for physicality and provoke more fouls outside the penalty area - they've been doing this well so far, and should continue.

What Australia must do - keep putting pressure on the Japanese midfield and making sure to close down their wing opportunities when available. This will force Japan to be too one dimensional and help to close down scoring chances. Australia must try to remain physical without causing fouls (if this is possible), thus upsetting the Japanese.

Surprises - Holman is doing a wonderful job out there and is showing a lot of aggression in the midfield. He needs to keep it up for another half, however. Australia's defense is also looking reasonably better than expected. Nakamura and Endo aren't looking too great from their set pieces, however I don't believe this will last, but Australia better pray it does. Japan also look to be handling the physical matchups quite well, given the circumstances and pressure they've been under.

8. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    0-0 in a match that Australia shut down consistently and effectively.

9. AverageWhiteMale

AverageWhiteMale New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Australia
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well that was ********ing dire.

Holman should have been off at half time. The guy runs a lot and to his credit closed everyone down but he cant play football. He flat out cant judge a pass. Bresciano was almost as bad.

The game was there to be played. Perfect pitch, winter conditions, not at altitude and yet Pim put out the 4-6-0. One ********ing shot on target.

Hopefully Jamo or Elrich really step up soon cause it will be ********ING fantastic to have full backs bombing on. Everyone else in Asia does it but ours cut inside or cross from D-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-P.

edit: has there always been a swear filter?

10. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    decent performance, not too happy though.. wanted them to push more. holman needs to ******** off, cahill should of been dropped back into that "hole" simon was talking about and push either bresh or culina to the wings and have scotty play as the striker we might of won because scott can actually hold the ball up and despite his fat build, is much faster than cahill. doesnt matter though, were still ontop at least

11. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Call me cynical, but were Australia actually trying to win this match? They seemed to allow possession to be given up a little too easily. Verbeek got what he wanted and that leads me to believe that was the intention all along. Australia virtually "allowed" them possession in their half without too much resistance, until the last 5 minutes when they went to try and sneak a goal.

12. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Good result for the lads, very solid defensive effort.

13. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    of course we gifted them possession on a platter...when you sit back with 1 striker and 2 dm's, there really is no other way it can be.

i always thought it was wishful thinking to think that pim actually even thought about going for a win. he was going for a draw the entire time.

14. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We played for the draw. Verbeek is a tactical genius, he gets results.

15. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't think you can call him a tactical genius just yet man. Hiddink was a tactical genius.

All Verbeek did was tell them to defend, and they defended well. Decent result for both teams, but Okada probably doesn't get the sack now, which is sad.

16. vonni

vonni Member

May 26, 2007
    the dirty south
    To me, that was a bad result for Japan, you are expected to win your home games and Okada didn't deliver. I'm satisfied with the result but not with the line up. It was obvious that Cahill was close to non existant up front and Maccas boy should've been given the nod. Holmann was a disaster, the guy is all heart and no talent. The guy chased everything down like a greyhound but his passing was woeful, he practically dribbled into blue jerseys and just plainly gave away too many fouls. Even though Chippers is a solid player, he was run ragged on the left, much of the attack came from Chippers side. Definately short of match practice so maybe Carney could've slotted to LB as he also has speed on his side as well.

To be honest, we got outplayed throughout the park. It was only Japan's final touch that didn't give them the win. We were severely out of depth on the wings but luckily Moore and Neill are solid as ever. We are very much on the same level as Japan and both suffer the same kind of problems, quality finishing. I thought Okada would throw in Takahara who is a proven international goalscorer but I guess he didn't.

Once again I'm satisfied with the result, but now I expect that Australia wins against Japan in Melbourne.

17. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We didn't have any wings - just the fullbacks. Wilkshire was close to Aus man of match IMO

18. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    AUSSIE AUSSIE, WE ARE NOW THAT MUCH CLOSER TO THE CUP!!!!

Book your flights. book your tickets South Africa Here We Come, Get ready for an Aussie INVASION!!!!!!

19. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Heh. It was ugly but that was a brutally pragmatic performance from Pim and I'm the happier for it - we fended the shit out of a fully integrated and prepared Japanese squad on home soil. I'd love us to have gone on the attack and scored but a clean sheet against our major opponent on their turf is great and a credit to the boys (Ratboy was f==king outstanding and deserved MoM in my opinion). We're almost qualified without conceding a goal. Alons Socceroos!

20. gambiano77

gambiano77 New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Here
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think you summed up the match pretty accurately. A draw was always the target, and you could tell that by the reaction of the players when the full time whistle went. It leaves us 6 points clear of the team in the play off place at the half way stage, with three of our remaining 4 matches at home. A very good position to be in right now. If the next couple of results go our our way we could be qualified with a couple of games to spare.

22. KaNgArOoS

KaNgArOoS Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Goodison Park
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    My was that ugly. 1 attack on goal the whole night...ouch.:(

23. mec1

mec1 New Member

May 16, 2008
    Adelaide
    Wilkshere was immense for us. Such a talented all round footballer.
    Valeri + Grella in the middle of the park killed any chance of any semblance of positivity on our behalf. We played virtually the whole game with 6 defenders.

Kudos to Pim though, he is paid to get us 2010 and so far everything has panned out well. I fully expect some all out attack in the next 2 home games. That is the way he seems to be going with things.

24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    A draw away to the strongest opposition in the group- hell yeah- I'll take that.

Well done to the lads. Stuck to their guns, and got us a result!

25. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think the last two lines in this quote sum it up! ;)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/fo...eroos-hold-firm/2009/02/12/1234028124185.html