Japan vs Australia WCQ [R]

Discussion in 'Australia' started by RickChelsea, Nov 20, 2008.

1. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    McDonald is in the squad but the Old Firm is on the 15th. I'd be amazed if Strachan lets him go.

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    So much for not rushing Kewell- he wants to rush himself! ;)

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25014044-5001023,00.html

3. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I love Harry but what's the bet he doesn't show up and it just turns out to be a bit of useful PR? :)

Here's hoping, though.

4. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Naka was allowed to leave early to acclimatise and is already in Japan. Scott McDonald was afforded the same luxury and said he wanted to play against Queens Park tomorrow in the cup before then travelling.

his choice. not the managers.

5. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    TBF to McDonald - if he left early he would just be kicking his heels as the Australian squad doesn't get together till Monday.

6. vonni

vonni Member

May 26, 2007
    the dirty south
    What he said on Celtic's website:

http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_060209143645.aspx

7. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Alright, Strachan not evil. He's still Scottish though....

8. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    He also scored in that game. Nice to bring a bit of form. Be even nicer if he can finally transform that form in Internationals.

9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/football/michael-cockerill/2009/02/08/1234027856579.html

10. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Might be a good option lol...he was brilliant for Everton as their striker but i still would rather see him in the midfield and Scotty's goals will come eventually

11. vonni

vonni Member

May 26, 2007
    the dirty south
    I think Pim should go with Maccas boy up front with Cahill behind him, it just gives more options up front.

12. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I agree, Cahill's our best AM at the moment, having him at lone forward is going to be a waste. We've got a versatile front line with him Scotty, Holman and Bresciano so we should be looking at some sort of 4-2-3-1 with rotating forwards. If we get it right we could make Okada's head explode...

13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/fo...away-free-gifts/2009/02/09/1234027956499.html

14. vonni

vonni Member

May 26, 2007
    the dirty south
    Not a significant pull out but Galekovic is to replace Federici due to injury. That's a shame for Federici who had to work up to be in Reading's starting XI. I also don't think Eugene should've been called up since he has a game for United this weekend

15. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Both he and Moore are flying back straight away after the game to play on the weekend- and esp. being a GK- its not going to effect him as much. ;)

16. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    apparently grellas unlikely to play. who will replace him?

17. AverageWhiteMale

AverageWhiteMale New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Australia
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    FFS Grella isn't having much luck is he.

I'd say it would be Culina and Valeri as the two screening midfielders. Garcia on the right, Holman in the middle and Bresciano on the left. Knowing Pim he'll stick Timmy up front but if its Macca or Jesus then drop him in where Holman is.

Not confident on the defence. The fact that most of the players available haven't had regular football (Apart from Moore and Neill) really makes me nervous.

Atleast we are going into this game in a position where a loss wont be so bad. How different would the lead up be if we had lost to Bahrain...

18. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It'll be interesting: Grella, Valeri and Culina have all been playing DM under the Dutch regime but Culina is versatile and can play AM or RM - in todays paper it was suggested he might play wide with Cahill lone striker but that'd need two DMs and it'd be a huge risk putting Jedinak in there, so AWM's probably right.

19. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/fo...ella-limps-away/2009/02/10/1234028036209.html

20. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    The Grella story sounds like it's paper talk, just like the "Viduka Will Turn Up At The Last Minute" story.

I'd still prefer Timmy in the midfield as he runs all day but he's shown his versatility in the EPL. I'm just worried he will be stranded up alone by himself (similar to the way our strikers were in Indonesia, Pim will play a similar strategy) and that would be a waste. We at least have good strikers on the bench if Plan A fails.

I'm guessing Pim will just be trying to strangle Japan in the middle and "hope" for the all important away goal on a counter. I still think we have the players to match and beat these guys. We have nothing to lose and will still be 5 points up on 3rd even if we lose.

I say have a go.

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It would be funny it it were all a bluff and he starts with a front line of this: ;)

---------Kennedy-------MacDonald---------

Bresc--------------Cahill--------------Culina

-------------------Valeri--------------------

Obviously it won't happen- but it would be funny to see Okada's face if he did! :D

22. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I am expecting a good result out of this game even though (again), our preparation time is awful. One could only imagine how much better Australia would function as a team if we had a week to prepare, compared to only one afternoon. Whatever formation we decide to go with, my only hope is that it isn't a lone striker - if it is, however, I certainly believe we will have attacking midfielders that can push up and help out, because that will be necessary.

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/football/cahill-ready-to-attack/2009/02/10/1234028036176.html

24. KaNgArOoS

KaNgArOoS Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Goodison Park
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'll say a Cahill bicycle kick and a Kennedy goal should do it.;)

Very excited about this match!

25. M Lo

M Lo Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Sydney
    Carn Aussie.

Not a fan of McDonald at all. Hoping he does something this time.

I think we are going to get done tonight. Not enough prep and missing key players.

I just hope they are up for it.

The Aussie spirit will need to be at full tilt if we are to have any chance.

G o BOYS!!!