Japan vs Australia WCQ [R]

Discussion in 'Australia' started by RickChelsea, Nov 20, 2008.

1. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    So this isn't on a FIFA date???? so we will have problems with getting players released from their clubs? I'm confident if we play properly we can get a win otherwise

2. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    Re: Australia vs Japan WCQ

Looks like it, however the way I look at this, the pressure will be on the Japanese to win, and we can afford to lose. any points from this game will be a bonus IMO, though I think if they play well we could get something out of this.

Mabye a tad early to start discussing this.

3. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique

We're so close to qualifying for the WC i couldn't resist:eek:

If we get a point or a win out of this i think we've got 1 foot DEFO in the door and maybe a knee too.

4. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia

NEVER TOO EARLY TO START THIS THREAD. Hope you don't mind me intruding into your personal space. Can't make any judgements before we gauge what kind of squad Australia will have for this match.

5. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Good God, I hope we have the bulk of our squad fit and rearing to go for this clash. If we field the same team we had to for Bahrain, the match will be over well before it starts.

6. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Thanks for starting it Rick- but I've amended the title as per the standard bigsoccer match thread- ie home team first and with [R] tags! ;)

Game date for those who didn't know is..... 11/02/09. :)

7. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The FFA and JFA are quite powerful organisations and will be able to get the best squad in for the game.

They could be a bit jet lagged, but Japan's europe based players have flown in maybe 2 days before the match. And this game's on a Wednesday, so I'm sure both teams will be fine to hop on a plane on Sunday night. It should be a good game.

8. Boomerang

Boomerang New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    in a soccer ball
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Its time for revenge against Japan for Asian cup 2007.

9. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    And ultimately I think Japan will still have the World Cup defeat in mind, too.

10. Boomerang

Boomerang New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    in a soccer ball
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah but they took that revenge in Asian cup 2007.

And now its our turn. :D

11. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't think that win in the Asian Cup was enough for us. PKs don't feel anywhere near as good as a result in 90 mins. So I still think they'd be out to assert their dominance hopefully.

12. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And thus the seeds were sown for a rivalry between blue and white and grren and gold, and the fruits of the rivalry from those seeds began to bloom in earnest.

13. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You people are finished.

You've had your revenge. We're going to laugh at you as we did before.

14. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    One can only hope. If our squad is as decimated as it was in the Bahrain game coupled with the limited preparation of said match...I have a feeling the only laughing there'll be will be directed at us.

That's my tad of realism on the matter.

15. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It was called humour for those who missed the point.

16. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    I laughed my ars* off when Bresciano scored against Bahrain and I will probably laugh my ars* off again if it happens once more

17. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Australian Sports Medicine > English Sports Medicine

18. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    Kennedy is ineffective at playing the lone striker role and that's why Pim wants this guy back asap.

Against Asian teams he has gone quite well. He is far stronger than anyone (or two) players who mark him and just remembering the way he wore down the Japp defenders in the 2006WC makes me think he would still be a force if fit and hungry for another shot at qualifying for the 2010WC.

19. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Dukes was good at WC 06 cause firstly he was a bit younger and he was marked by Miyamoto (178cm tall CB, not fantastic, not strong, not a good choice)
    I'm not taking a shot here ok just an opinion.

Remember once again how Nakazawa controlled him and Aloisi at the same time in Asian cup? dukes got one decent shot which was from outside the area and was under pressure so it landed straight into keepers arms.(other CB was a fillin who plays DMF and he marked Kewell - Yuki Abe), he won't be as effective against Japan and Uzbeks.

I think Australia should use 2 strikers. scrap that lone striker stuff.

On top of that, Dukes body can hardly take playing right now. Do you think he'll be anywhere near full fitness at 2010? He'll be old enough to bust a hip at that point.

I'd try Djite and Kennedy. Djite's 21, plenty of time left in him.

20. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think you're right. At the end of the day, the match at the Asian Cup was a 1-1 draw, it wasn't a win. TBH i'll be happy with a draw, though i'd rather a win.

21. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm not sure about Djite and Kennedy together. Are they similar type players? I do rate Djite over McDonald, although Djite needs to work on his first touch a little bit and his decision making perhaps...

22. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No. And I wouldn't be writing off McDonald just yet. Anyone with that level of ability is bound to come good internationally eventually. As I've said before, he is a confidence player, same at club level. It took him a while to get going at Celtic, but once he did he was like a machine. My thoughts are his international career will be the same. But he's not really a natural striker, more a sneak (poacher).

We don't have too many issue's with Japan up front. If we break even in midfield we should be ok.

In any case, I have doubts Viduka will be around in 2010.

23. tpg1

tpg1 New Member

May 31, 2007
    Does anyone rate Rukavytsya for 2010? If he can improve on his already impressive Aleague season and get a move to Europe, I think he can be a star for us. His speed is amazing and his finishing is coming along. I know he was crap at the olympics but so was the whole team bar spira and gk.

I can really see Japan beating Australia in the next game. Ppl in Australia probably don't realise how much the result at WC06 hurt japan, and they will definately be out for revenge in front of their home crowd. And with our boys just stepping off the plane from Europe just before the game as they did against bahrain, not to mention a 2 month break from playing for the NT, i don't think we will be able to match their intensity level.

24. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Oh, are you ********ing serious? It's all but lost then.

25. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Aren't you providing the "magic" pastizzi? :)