January camp roster watch/speculation

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bmo180, Nov 27, 2012.

1. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    If Charlie is nowhere near NT material at this point, this would be a gigantic class move by JK.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To a certain extent, I agree.

Viewing it differently, he would be taking a spot of a (deserving) young player who might step forward when given the opportunity.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    See, I don't see us as being that deep that someone clearly deserving was left off. A debatable ommission? Perhaps.

4. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I think everyone on this site knows better, but just a reminder that player's such as John Thorrington and Jeremiah White featured for the US in January. Just saying because I know on twitter and other places people will use the word snub and complain about the call ups.

Do not get me wrong, it's important to evaluate some of the newer guys. The CB situation is what one wants to watch. Who get's called in and how they perform in the center of defense because at least one of those CB's MIGHT make the WCQ squad for Honduras.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'd say the CB competition is important..................as well as looking at wingers.

With Donovan's situation, Brek Shea's struggles, etc. I'm really looking for Gatt, Pontius, or somebody else to force themselves into at least a sub role with the USMNT. {Or perhaps Shea can re-establish himself as that option}

USAMEX10 repped this.
  7. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry if this is has already been asked but is the Canada match part of camp cupcake? Or will that involve our full squad and just be a tuneup for the Honduras match?

8. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Camp Cupcake roster.

9. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank you

10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see Bedoya has worked his way back into the picture. Still think he's more of a #8/#10 than a winger, but with Mikey, Williams, Jones, and soon maybe Holden in the middle, that seems unlikely.

11. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's 1:20pm, where is my roster?

12. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask and you shall receive a pre-commercial break teaser.

13. windylove

windylove Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-N...-Roster-for-US-MNT-January-Training-Camp.aspx

GOALKEEPERS (3): Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)
    DEFENDERS (9): Steven Beitashour (San Jose Earthquakes), Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), A.J. DeLaGarza (LA Galaxy), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Connor Lade (New York Red Bulls), Alfredo Morales (Hertha Berlin), Justin Morrow (San Jose Earthquakes), Jeff Parke (Philadelphia Union)
    MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (out of contract), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Joshua Gatt (Molde), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
    FORWARDS (5): Juan Agudelo (Chivas USA), Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo), Edson Buddle (Colorado Rapids), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

14. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony Beltran :thumbsup:

16. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only Charlie is responsible for Charlie. He made a very bad choice and is paying the consequences. Choices have consequences, some intended some not. He may never be a 1st choice player on any notable club again and certainly not USMNT quality. Calling him in to the USMNT would be rewarding bad thinking and undisciplined behavior.

Moreover, giving Charlie an undeserved spot eliminates an opportunity for a more deserving player. Doing so would diminish Klinnsman!

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    OK, if you want to be a complete dick, that is fine.
    I totally agree with you about the first two sentences. He pretty much ruined his career. I get that.

But if JK brought him in, part out of curiosity, part out of a USSF thank you over say bringing in a bench forward for LA, I wouldn't have had a problem, and it would have shown some class. In the grand scheme it would hardly undermine the work going forward. Charlie isn't in a wheel chair. He can still play (not nearly at the level he was projecting towards). It wouldn't be like bringing in someone for an old-timer's fantasy week.

18. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am O.K. with your characterization of me as a complete dick, although, honest, forthcoming and realistic is more correctly defining. Opinions are just that, we all have them and very often they differ. You are entitled to your and I am entitled to mine. IMO, that does not color either of us badly.

IMO, it would be much worse than bring in a well-respected, well-disciplined and fully proven "old-timer". As stated, it would be a reward for bad behavior and more importantly it would deny another young player an opportunity!!!

You, & others may have the last word, my perspective is clear.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes the very young and very disciplined Edson Buddle.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's weird.

When Charlie was at DCU, he looked like he was on the road to getting some type of form back. He scored 11 goals for them in 2011, and had plenty of assists. The guys who finished ahead of him on goals in 2011 is a list of the "who's who" of MLS (DeRosario, Wondolowski, Montero, Henry, Donovan, Saborio, Le Toux, etc.). Yes.............he's lost some of his pace. However he really did look like he was on the way back to being a full-time player somewhere. WHen people were suggesting Charlie for a callup in 2011, there was at least some basis for that opinion.

But he left MLS....................and has since fallen off the face of the planet. He's a non-factor right now.

21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    He likely hit his ceiling. That last gear is not there (you are bound to lose something in such a traumatic accident). It would have been class to give him a 'testimonial' camp as he didn't deserve it based on his play. He didn't, I'm not holding it against JK (I have plenty of other gripes). I originally responded based on what someone seemed to indicate that he was on the radar. As it appears he is not, I am done with the Charlie issue in this thread. He is likely a 'former' USMNT'er.

22. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    So who was the big surprise? Buddle? Lade?

23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, you would think with those stats he would have being in the coaches discussion but in reality when you start looking at his stats you start to see Pks and dubious goals like pokes, slide kicks etc. I guess coaches also saw that he was no longer able to get away from defenders, instead using his trickery of diving. There was one time when he had a 1-1 situation with the last defender on an open field and he coun't get by Ream, that to me showed he didn't have that extra gear that he used to have.

24. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    School boys won't be released by their schools.

25. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was... :thumbsdown:

:laugh: