January Camp Roster Analysis

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Real Corona, Jan 6, 2013.

1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cooper doesn't have an aspect to his game that stands out. He's not fast, can't dribble circles around anyone, and isn't great at holding the ball.

He's an excellent all around MLS forward who, if you provide service, will knock many of them in.

More importantly and the age of 28 he likely won't get much better than he is right now. If we had a rash of injuries then yes, he should be in consideration, but I honestly think it's better to give guys who specialize in a particular aspect of the game, or guys who are younger and have more upside, a shot at camp.

I think we all know what Cooper offers.

2. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I'm sort of bummed Jay DeMerit wasn't called up. He still has something to offer at CB position and could challenge Goodson, Gonzalez for a Hex roster spot.

3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't think he fits JK's mold of a CB. He's a great tackler, strong, but his touch, passing, isn't good enough IMO... for JK.

4. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Agreed.

Who even is the 4th CB on this Roster? AJ DLG? Morales?

If we were to play a friendly now, a WCQ in a few months, or even game #1 in Brazil a year and a half from now, is there anyone out there that would chose Jeff Parke for that match over Demerit.

Obviously, we want to give younger guys a shot, but Jay hasn't played for us in almost 2 years now, and one could argue he's been the best CB in MLS over that span. It's a snub that on the surface you can say whatever, he's too old, but when you really look at it it's a poor one.

5. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    DeMerrit, I love him, but is he going to be effective in another year, year and a half? Dude is getting up there in age, but I suppose speed has never been his game. Love him as a player though.

Lade, I have no problem with at all. Anyone who says he'll never be international caliber doesn't watch him play. He's as quick of a player as we've got. Good left foot, and he's versatile. He held his own as a homegrown rookie on a playoff team. Show me more of these please, I want more of them. Not an international now, but certainly can be down the road.

Dax deserved a look. To me he's the biggest snub. Other than that, good list. Frankencoop maybe...show me a good start to the season as a target forward, and I'll start buying. Not sure Buddle deserved it, but JK knows his game and likes him. When Buddle is on, he's one of our better forwards. Problem is you don't get him on very consistently.

Morales...they must see something they like. I'm not educated enough to call them on it.

I'd have rather seen Gruenebaum or Kennedy than Hamid or Johnson like others have said. Tally Hall is underrated.

I'm less pissed about this roster than any other in recent memory. I call that progress!

6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some point of thinking has to do with 2018 WC and Qualifiers. Germany had history of only looking at age players and JK broke that line of thinking and put youth on teams which they have continued to follow. JK most likely is not never going to after 29+ yo for this world cup unless its an emergency, ie we lose 3 CB's to injury pre-WC.

7. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, well yea... I agree that another more defensive minded mid should have been called like McCarty, even though I wouldnt consider him that. All I was saying was that Beckerman is the only defensive mid in the squad. Furthermore, it's January and we are playing Canada. Beckerman is fine.
    No one is doubting Beitashour's speed by the way. He's quick. DLG is definitely quicker though. Also a better defender, again...

8. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's listed as a defender though and because of that I would guess he's there as fullback cover..

9. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I havent seen anyone respond to your posts with an "I agree" or even backing your opinion up. DLG isnt just in my projected 11 because I am confident he is better defensively and is indeed quicker, but I believe Klinsmann rates him higher. If you have ever heard Jurgen talk about MLS defenders, DLG is someone who is surprisingly mentioned from time to time. Klinsmann is also more familiar with DLG than Beita having seen him more.

Berks repped this.
  10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope not, he is not as effective playing the fullback position. at division 4 he has been playing as a DM. the only time he played as a fullback was when he was in Hertha's first team and that didn't go well.

11. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lade was called up by the U.S. team for the first time.

"I kind of had to pinch myself picking up that call, because [Klinsmann] is such a legend and he’s done great things for the national team and he's taking them in the right direction,” Lade said. “

I am still pinching myself............with some of this callups I am begining to wonder if Kllinsi is actualy watching MLS much

12. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If Demerit could play for the next year and a half at the level he did this year when injury free, he can be option, especially with form/injuries to Cherundolo, Boca, or Onyewu. You need a veteran presence at the back even if he is on the bench. I like Goodson and some of his performances have been undderrated, but his form has been trending down for both club and country.

13. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Correct me if I am wrong, but wasnt Lade the weakest link in the NYRB defense when the games started to matter. Also is his natural position in defense.

14. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Kokoplus has articulated my views on Lade. I'd just add for what its worth [lame appeal to authority], Henry was effusive in his praise of Lade throughout the year and even implored Backe to start him on various occasions when seasoned, intl caliber vets like Solli, Letoux, Tanio and Conde were available. Backe and Henry said his game was reminiscent of Lizarazu. Obviously that's hyperbolic but Lade slated into a lineup of a team with crazy expectations, overpriced names with huge egos and a scary, erstwhile world class Frenchman whose barking and glares at each errant pass would make me, were I in Lade's shoes, likely trip over the ball repeatedly or launch the ball into the south ward, and he did so rather seamlessly with much more on the positive side than negative.

He is also versatile and can play on the right or left in the backline or midfield. Wouldnt surprise me if he could play centrally either.

Still, wouldve liked to have seen McCarty and Okugo.

15. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Backpass only had one less assist than Beitashour last season (and four more in the playoffs). It was hard to tell since LA's defense was really awful last season, but Franklin's made real improvements in the offensive aspect of his game, particularly his forward movement and passing. He even has a pretty good distance shot these days. His airborne crosses still leave a lot to be desired, though and AJ's skills on the ball are a lot better which is why Klinsmann prefers him (haven't watched Beita enough to comment, really).

AJ's big flaw is that he's a featherweight. He's not like one of those tiny guys that's deceptively strong and balanced. In his last outing with the national team he had to foul his man to keep from getting beaten and not because he was too slow--he just gets shrugged off the ball.

Berks repped this.
  16. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. His natural position was at CB. He was converted to RB by Backe. Also...he's left footed. :confused:
    2. Most Red Bull fans actually predict him to pan out as a LM. Either way he should be on the left side of the field.
    3. The weakest link in the NYRB defense when the games mattered were Rafa and Miller. But yes, Lade made metal mistakes at RB.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's a young player. Klinsmann clearly saw something there that he wants to take a closer look at.

There's nothing wrong with a national team coach using a couple of slots on a roster like this for "reaches."

Berks repped this.
  18. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup - call them in, check them out, and make a determination. I like that better than calling Edson into camp. He's welcome to prove me wrong though.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    People can disagree with me on this, but I see the Buddle callup as simple. It's unlikely that Klinsmann would call up an unproven international like Bruin for a World Cup Qualifier. (or potential young callups like McInerney and his ilk)

Buddle has been in camps, has been on rosters, has been to the World Cup, etc. There'd be no adjustment period. He'd step on the field against Honduras and not be overwhelmed. So Klinsmann's got his projects (Agudelo, Bruin), but also some veterans that have "been there, done that." Is Buddle good enough? Don't know. Is Buddle better than somebody like Kenny Cooper? Don't know.

What I do know is that our likeliest starters in Honduras are Gomez and Jozy................not any of these guys. So I'm willing to let Klinsmann experiment.

22SteveD, Berks and Big Chil in Denver repped this.
  20. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Lade is an updated version of Hejduk, international quality motor and wheels. If he can turn himself into a "shutdown corner" he might have an intermittent international career because his quality in the final third is lacking. There are flashes from time to time but to translate from MLS to higher levels they need to become the norm. Personally I think G.Farfan and Meyers are better prospects.

DeLeon (and M.Farfan and Silva) get squeezed out by playing such a competitive position. I'm a fan of what Benny has done for us but if he doesn't bring it he stole a spot from a younger guy.

If I was picking the best team to beat Canada with these players (and Edu and Jones I'd go with:

-------------Johnson/Wondo-------------
    --Wondo/Johnson------------------------
    ---------------------------------Zusi-------
    -----------------------Jones---------------
    --------------Mix--------------------------
    --------------------Edu-------------Gatt--
    --Morrow---------------------------------
    --------------Besler----Gonzalez---------
    --------------------Hall-------------------

Out of the three front guys I think we need two finishers because we're not going to be getting that from midfield so I go with Johnson and Wondo, they can flip out to the wing and Zusi is good at floating across the final third, finding gaps, and setting the table.

I expect Jones to play like he always does in these types of games, as a box to box 8 playing adventurously. Mix will be connecting back to front and will naturally let the ball (and Jones) do a lot of the work. I expect we'll push Canada deep into their own half and when this happens his close control and creativity will be a big asset. Davis, Benny, or Zusi could also play this role. Hopefully Edu isn't rusty and he's used as a destroyer.

Which brings me to the fullbacks. I'd play Gatt at RB in a Cafu-like role and have Edu and Morrow provide defensive cover for his constant forays overlapping Zusi, swinging in crosses to our two finishers, and making runs into the box. Beitashour can fill some of this role with his crossing but Gatt's ability to carry the ball, start counters, and score bring an added dimension. I see Gonzo and Besler pairing very well and Morrow will spend quite a bit of time playing as a de-facto LCB.

21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's very logical.

Cooper is "MLS good" at a number of different things, but IMO Buddle has a much better hold up game. Cooper also has a tendancy to drift out wide and doesn't always combine well with the rest of the team. Thier is a one word reason for his great production this season: Henry. And that's not to take anything away from him, but Henry set him up with glorius chances all year...chances that aren't likely to come as often at the international level.

Seems to be a simple case of JK picking a guy with the ability to perform one specific task very well.

22. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Yeah, this is another head-scratching omission. The problem is he would be our best MLS left-back, but he's played mostly center-back the last two seasons. At CB, he's a notch below Gonzalez and Besler I guess.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Cooper has already produced at international level, and demonstrated last season he can play a more orthodox center-forward role. Buddle has produced at international level as well and done so under Klinsmann which makes all the difference. What I'm curious to see with him is the kind of shape he arrives to camp in. He's never been known as the hardest working baller out there.

Gabriel Farfan is excellent going forward but isn't a very good defender. He should go back to playing on the left side of midfield. Williams looked better on the left with Gaddis playing on the right side of defense for Philly.

McCarty, MFarfan, Deleon, Silva. Agree it's a numbers game in central midfield.

Edu. Seems like a loan move to Championship side would be in the offing is Stoke has no intent to play him. So would expect him to not make camp.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Sucks to be an MLS veteran who played on a sub-par team last year. Feilhaber is the only player fitting that description to get the call.

25. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another solid MLS player. About as solid as they come really. I guess he's being grouped into the "Cooper" category? At 28 he's not getting better and while he's got a good all around game that makes him a very valuable MLS guy he's not particularly great in any area. I don't think his technical ability is as good as say Cameron and he's also not as physically imposing as Gonzalez.

He's another guy like Dax and Cooper where it would realistically take a slew of injuries for him to be called up. In which case I would be happy with that emergency call.