January Camp Roster Analysis

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Real Corona, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly he sucked on the wing for Chivas. He's much better centrally.

2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we are forgetting first the chosen ones from camp cupcake must do something special at the Florida camp before they can get to Honduras.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckerman is there to keep the whole thing organized at least to some degree.

4. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA camp

5. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize Klinsmann probably will see it this way, but I say w/e give the youngsters a try as a complete overhaul and see what happens.

6. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    For those complaining about the inclusion of De La Garza, you're forgetting that his best feature is his versatility. He is a utility player who has played CB, LB, and RB as well as outside midfield. He is also a "giver" in JK's terminology. That makes him a good 25 person player in a roster where the camp is his home pitch and it makes him a candidate for a Gold Cup roster.

22SteveD and Berks repped this.
  7. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    Just for funzies this is what I would like to see

--------------Bruin---------------
    --Johnson--------------------Zusi--
    ----------------Mix----------------
    ---------Benny-----Beckerman-----------
    Morrow-Gonzalez-Besler-Beitashour
    ----------------Hall--------------------

Or

--------------Wando---------------
    --Davis--------------------Zusi--
    ----------------Mix----------------
    ---------Benny-----Beckerman-----------
    Morrow-Gonzalez-Besler-Beitashour
    ----------------Hall--------------------

8. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Gatt?

9. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    No one upset Adu wasn't called in...

...Not really....has he turned 19 yet ?

HartwickFan repped this.
  10. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    I liked what I saw from him, but I do not think he is ready to be a starter giving some of the other names on the roster. I would like to see him as a late game sub. Also realistically he is most likely a leading candidate for the gold cup so he will get plenty of game time this summer.

11. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Well, he had a much better season than Buddle, didn't he?

cleansheetbsc and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  12. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    A classy response to a snub from McCarty, who tweets:

"That said, bummed to not be called up. Thanks for all the kind words from everyone, means a lot. What can you do? Just have to work harder."

13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His frustration is understandable when guys like Morales get called up instead(Even though Morales is listed as a defender.)

Editor In Chimp and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It's funny how you look at some players and become convinced the're worthy of a NT look but it never comes and others you'd never think it and then it does. I look at Gabriel Farfan and think he's developing into a good LB who can also play LM in a pinch and I think he could be a NT darkhorse.

I look at Conor Lade and see a serviceable MLS workhorse but don't see much special there beyond work-rate and hustle.

And yet...

I'm glad the MLS play of Bruin, Gonzalez, Wondolowski, Besler and Davis got rewarded. Looking forward to seeing what they can do.

There are some others I'd have preferred to have seen and if I was going to pick one guy for the biggest slight, I'd go with Kenny Cooper. Guy scored the second-most goals of any American in MLS and helped his team win and he has a good goal-scoring rate with the US. I loves me some Edson Buddle but the dude had a terrible year and didn't earn this. Shoulda been Cooper.

That said, there are plenty of players you can make a case for getting snubbed. In fact, even with the injuries and the players looking for their inner children and what not who weren't available for this camp, you could put together a second Camp Cupcake team of players excluded from this camp, made up of just MLS and Scandinavian players and sans any YNT players, who presumably have other commitments.

To wit, here's a Camp Cupcake alternative roster........ and many of you could likely find reasons to replace all of them with another group of excluded players.

GOALKEEPERS: Steve Clark (Honefoss, Norway), Dan Kennedy (Chivas USA), Luis Robles (New York Red Bulls)

DEFENDERS: Austin Berry (Chicago Fire), Gabriel Farfan (Philadelphia Union), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Chance Myers (Sporting Kansas City), Amobi Okugo (Philadelphia Union), Heath Pearce (New York Red Bulls), Sheanon Williams (Philadelphia Union)

MIDFIELDERS: Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Danny Cruz (Philadelphia Union), Nick DeLeon (DC United), Michael Farfan (Philadelphia Union), Perry Kitchen (DC United), Mike Magee (Los Angeles Galaxy), Dax McCarty (New York Red Bulls), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Conor O’Brien (Sonderjyske, Denmark), Luis Silva (Toronto FC)

FORWARDS: Kenny Cooper (New York Red Bulls), Steven Lenhart (San Jose Earthquakes), Jack McInerney (Philadelphia Union), CJ Sapong (Sporting Kansas City)

HartwickFan, Winoman, lurking and 4 others repped this.
  15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I meant the florida camp. the selected 5-8 players from the LA camp that where outstanding have to do it all over again at the Florida camp, players from the LA camp don't go directly to Honduras they have to prove themselves against the A team player.

16. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No? He's playing for a Second Divison team in Germany.

17. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting list. I think it is fascinating that you can legitimately come up with a full camp roster of guys not invited to Camp Cupcake and legitimately exclude Mr. Adu from this list as well. What a complete fall.

Neuwerld repped this.
  18. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Fixed

19. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    The Buddle that's probably being brought in to be either camp fodder or a long ball target? Kenny Cooper isn't exactly a beast in the air. I don't really rate either of them, but Buddle's at least, once, played at a World Cup.

Cooper's caps were all garbage time/joke friendlies.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Why not? He's coming off an 18-goal season and has shown he can score at the international level.

21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    He'd scored a couple of garbage goals in friendlies and one in a meaningless semi qualifier. He doesn't play like a forward; drifts out wide. He's not quick enough to succeed out there internationally, I don't think.

He's a really nice professional. He found his level and had a good season last year. If you want to reward a guy for that, sure, but on merit, skillset and on potential I don't think he's a useful piece.

Berks repped this.
  22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    In fairness, I did have Adu on my original list but dropped him when I realized I only had 2 GKs so when I added a third a field player had to go and I felt based on last season's production that Adu had done the least among the midfielders.

But, my first instinct is to include him simply because of the offensive spark he can - but does not always - bring, particularly off the bench.

23. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree at all, but using history as a guide, Jones as a #6 is something we just don't see. It's possible the JK unveils it here, but if his goal is to prep for WCQ and he has no intention of using Jones there, you can't really blame him for not trying him there against Canada. On the other hand, if Beckerman really is #3 or #4 on the DM depth chart, it makes sense to give him a game here.

As far as 2-man CM: there's no doubt that if we go this route that Jones and Bradley will be the 2. I have been one to be critical of their playing together, but given their overall club form, there is not anyone close to unseating them at the moment.

24. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've noticed this too. He has some decent foot skills and moves to beat guys up the wing, but he lacks that speed to be especially effective out there.

I think he has a really nice game as a CF. Strong on the ball and good at hold up play. Excellent in the air. I haven't seen much of him with Chivas, but I think still has a lot of potential and hope he finds a place to use his skills.

25. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lade is very good technically on the ball.

dwsmith1972 repped this.