January Camp Roster Analysis

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Real Corona, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    It seemed like KC usually kept Besler back for most set-pieces.

Berks repped this.
  2. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Nah it was Lade. He's a pretty bad defender, and definitely not a better winger than DeLeon

3. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow - I *completely* forgot about that. Erased that from my memory now that he's a starter. Funny that I remember the own goal against Scotland more. Probably because it was with the senior team.

Excellency repped this.
  4. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think John Anthony Brooks might have something to say about that.

5. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Gonzo has a very good January camp Jurgen should start him over Goodson and Bocanegra who haven't been playing well lately for the USMNT and are on the decline. One of the reasons I wouldn't be nervous if Omar starts in Honduras is that he has experience playing CCL in Central American countries.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okugo is excellent at reading the play, positioning, cutting off passing lanes and dispossessing his attacker. He's downright excellent at it.

His kryptonite is balls in the air, and boy is it ever a kryptonite. He needs to work on that, a lot.

SPA2TACU5 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  7. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    He won't be starting in the Honduras game no matter how good he looks this month. Only way that happens is if Bocanegra and Cameron both go down because of injury.

22SteveD repped this.
  8. Sam Boney

Sam Boney New Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    What about Perry Kitchen as a CB option? I know he's a CDM, but he can pass well and help us play out of the back.

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Sure. But how many Henry-like players were on the field with Cooper when he scored his 4 goals for the national team?

And an average of a goal every 85 minutes doesn't demonstrate an ability to put away chances?

I'm not arguing that Cooper should be a starter. But when a forward is given limited action with the national team, yet still manages to regularly find the net, then he deserves to be kept in consideration (especially when coming off such a productive league season).

We're just not in a position yet where we can afford to discard strikers who show a knack for finishing at the international level. Makes no sense.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It seems multiple national team coaches now just don't like his game.

On the field, he was significantly better than Buddle last season. And Kenny Cooper is 28............in his prime. I don't think Kenny is Zlatan Ibrahimovic, but he deserves another look with the USMNT (in my opinion anyway).

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way.............in case people didn't see this:

http://www.noshortcorners.com/2013/01/a-goodie-morsel.html

Graham Zusi's stint at West Ham is a full-fledged trial. It's not a simple training session.

If West Ham really likes what they see (and make a transfer bid), it's possible he won't be available for the camp/friendly.

12. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he gets signed. Zusi has pretty much proven himself to Klinsmann and now needs to focus on playing at a higher level.

13. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    i've seen okugo live a few times, i like his approach to the game..

but brooks has more upside

14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you sleep through Olympic Qualifying?

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He blew the offside trap against D.C. He didn't score an own goal (Miller) and didn't generally play like $hit, argue with the head coach and get red carded (Rafa).

He made one mental mistake in his first playoffs of a rookie season playing out of position on his weak foot. Give the kid a break. Jeez.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  16. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not arguing that he got a bit of a snub. He had a great season and is a very good MLS forward. However, there have been multiple coaches willing to part with him over the years (including a national team coach) and that should tell you something.

I've watched him all season. He is an excellent finisher, but there are aspects to his game that simply aren't MLS caliber nevermind international caliber. He is not very good at the MLS level at holding the ball and linking up play.

And if I have the choice to play 2 forwards with a list like Dempsey, Altidore, Wondo, Donovan, and/or Gomez, then I'm sorry but Cooper doesn't find himself on the roster. Heck, I might even play one of the youngsters like Boyd. I certainly would call Boyd, Agudelo, etc. into camp ahead of Cooper.

Again: We know who Kenny Cooper is and he isn't going to get any better or learn anything from being in National Team camp. We have our set stabble of forwards (more or less) and young guys that need to be involved in that environment more than he does.

17. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    He also got torched by Pontius all 1st game, and he was making bad mental mistakes all season

18. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I'm not arguing that he got a bit of a snub. He had a great season and is a very good MLS forward. However, there have been multiple coaches willing to part with him over the years (including a national team coach) and that should tell you something. "

This is a shot in the dark, but could it be that part of Kenny Cooper Jr's "problems" lie with the fact that he's Kenny Cooper Sr.'s son?
    I know very little about Cooper Sr.'s soccer past, other than he was a GK in the NASL and a long time indoor coach. Could it be he was a big enough ass#### that his son is seen as tainted goods?

Again just a total guess on my part and apologies to Cooper Sr. if he happens to be the best guy on the face of the earth.:notworthy:

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It hasn't worked. He played there for the U20s, the U23s and even for DC United. He has not been good there. As soon as he was moved to the midfield he went from a below average MLS player to a very good MLS player instantly.

In much the same way that Morales is not a good fullback, Kitchen isn't a good player for the back line. I am just hoping that Morales listed as a defender is just a typo.

20. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO you're exaggerating this. Also, like I've already said, he was played out of position most of the year at RB. The guy is left footed. He should be playing LB or, as has been suggested, LM.

Also, what was the result of that first game? With the rest of our terrible defense it seems that if he was getting torched all day by Pontius then DC should have won by 3.

I've already stated that. It's his one weakness. Soccer IQ. The fact remains that he has all the intagibles to be a very good player in the future. The rest is on him.

21. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're way off base here. Ken Cooper Sr. was an admired and respected player and coach. To a certain extent, his son started out at Man United because of this.

I think, as others have pointed out, that Cooper's skillset does not translate particularly well to the higher levels of the international game. And props to him, for making a meal of it in the MLS and attempting the next level overseas. Respect . . .

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Cooper has had multiple outstanding seasons in MLS and with different teams. He's already demonstrated he can score at international level. It's one thing to argue the cut of his jib or whether he fits the US' tactics but gainsaying his quality is insipid hand-waving devoid of anything to back it up.

It's no big deal he's not in camp, but the tendentious commentary is unnecessary.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The forum went through the same nonsense when EJ was brought back in as if he had never done anything in Concacaf.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, Kitchen and Morales are CDMs. I wouldn't worry about Morales until we hear how he's lining up in camp scrimmages. Where a player is listed on the US roster release often has very little correlation with where the coach ends up playing him.

25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't think that Kenny fits in to Klinsmann's role for strikers.

soccerusa517 and Bolivianfuego repped this.