Jamaica to Recruit Nine England-based Players

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DearGodNotBornstein, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDread

TheDread Member

Aug 17, 2004

LOL

Justin Z repped this.
  2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Well, you have a much better sales pitch when you can guarantee them that they'll be playing in the final round of qualification.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the Jamaican federation had actually approached those players much earlier but were given a reply of something along the lines of "Call me when/if you get to the Hex".

3. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw McAnuff on espy earlier this year. He's a fantastic dribbler. He will give any defender in Concacaf trouble.

4. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not good for the other teams if they recruit EPL and Championship quality players. This will increase their chances of qualifying and increase their chances of beating us and Mexico.

Imagine if Jamaica had players like Bent, Defoe, Sturridge, Walcott etc etc. They would be without a doubt the best team in CONCACAF on paper! In fact a deeper search would show that most of England black players have roots in our region.

Tom Collingsworth and charlie15 repped this.
  5. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Well it could increase their chances but it is not etched in stone they would be better.

Paper champions dont always jell on the field. There is a lot more to it. Especially in the international game.

6. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, that is why the Dutch went out in the group of the EURO! It is also why France and Italy flopped at the world cup!:D

7. jahman

jahman Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Outside Reggae Land
    I think the current Jamaica squad only needs 3/4 committed from the 9 listed with any 3/4 from Simpson, McCleary, McAnnuf, Dyer, Cummings and Hoilett would be just fine by me. From all indication Hoilette and McAnnuf are sure bets, but I think we need help in defense so Simpson/Cummings would be nice addittion.

Throw in Fuller, King, Humphrey and a few others who for whatever reason have been discarded and we suddenly got a vastly improved and competitive squad atleast in this region. However, we got to be concerned about team chemistry. Not sold on Beckford and dont think he adds that much over what we currently have.

While Sterling is a long shot, don't be surprised if he answers the call - dont underestimate the pull of being born in Jamaica may have - nor the wishes of his mom.

8. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they pick up all 9 players. It'll make the already exciting hex more entertaining.

9. Ev-ron

Ev-ron Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Your wrong!! all 9 players or on board even Scott Sinclair reach out to Jamaica, how do I know this Danny Twitted this https://twitter.com/dannysimpson/status/263586747554877440 and if that is not reason enough Beckford tweted me this Everon Clarke @EveronNYC
    @RealJBeckford what do you say #Reggaeboyz Sterling, Hoilett, Dyer, McAnuff, Cummings, McCleary, Scott Sinclair, Simpson, Perch. Brazil 2014
    Expand

11h
    [​IMG]Jermaine Beckford@RealJBeckford
    @EveronNYC I think sterling is unbelievable he should deffo be in the team

Hide conversation

7:44 AM - 1 Nov 12 · Details

10. Ev-ron

Ev-ron Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Sterling was born in Jamaica visited and have friends and family in Jamaica. If any body have any doubt that he will join is dreaming. his entire country is calling on him to represent. Jamaican have a strong culture and pride I dont expect any less from a 17 yr Jamaican, that still live with his mom. EVERY ONE in CONCACAF should be happy if Raheem comes to Jamaica imagine if he becomes the next Messi? CONCACAF wont be the same!! this would take football in our region to a next level..........

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Lol, you are the one dreaming bud. Sterling will without a doubt be playing for England come '14. You can count on that.

12. Ev-ron

Ev-ron Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Burrell’s meeting with Raheem Sterling flusters England

BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor
    Thursday, November 01, 2012

[​IMG][​IMG]

IT appears that a tug-o-war is brewing between two countries on a quest of trying to lure the exciting Liverpool teenage winger Raheem Sterling to their national squads.
    Yesterday the British press ran stories that painted a jittery England, put on edge by this week’s visit of Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) President Captain Horace Burrell, who is scheduled to hold talks with the Jamaican-born 17-year-old sensation in efforts to persuade him to return to his roots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jamaican-born Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling (right) battles for possession of the ball with Manchester City’s Argentine striker Carlos Tevez during a recent Barclays Premier League encounter. (Photo: AP)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] 1/1 [​IMG]

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/Burrell-s-meeting-with-Raheem-Sterling-flusters-England#ixzz2B1CFx4j9

13. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to BigSoccer. Please do not cut and paste entire articles; it's not allowed. Thanks.

sacpasse87 repped this.
  14. DearGodNotBornstein

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Jamaica manages to get Sterling, England will look very stupid for not cap-tying him when they called him up and had the chance.

15. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Nice source :rolleyes:

That is basically a rag paper and ridiculously biased. Care to bet on Raheem playing for you guys? I'll do an escrow.

16. Ev-ron

Ev-ron Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC

I agreed however, Jamaica chances are great I think having his mother doing the convincing is the deal breaker for England. USA Mexico should be jumping for joy if he becomes a Reggae boy. the media attention for the next games in their zone along with money it would generate would be crazy...

17. DearGodNotBornstein

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the sales pitch aspect. It makes sense for players like Sterling and Hoilett that have other options internationally. For the players who really don't have any other realistic options though, I would think that they would be able to approach and land at least a few of them. I mean, for god's sake, Antigua and Barbuda managed to get Mikele Leigertwood to play for them. How could Jamaica fail to pull in similar talent? If they really got in touch with most of those players and they said "call me when/if you get to the Hex," I think that is a team that will end up having issues.

18. Ev-ron

Ev-ron Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    I'll bet whats the wager? I have inside info that i can't see raheem pulling out on the Reggea boyz

this is me and Jermaine Beckford tweeting about sterling, in case you dont realize Beckford is one of the 9 player LOL

[​IMG]Jermaine Beckford@RealJBeckford
    @EveronNYC I think sterling is unbelievable he should deffo be in the team

19. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    If we can find an escrow I will be up to $1k USD at even money that Raheem Sterling is does not get cap-tied to Jamaica by 2014.

20. DearGodNotBornstein

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But this situation is similar to the one the U.S. takes advantage of with Germany. Jamaica generally won't get those top players; those players will play for England. They will get the ones who are in the range of good Championship players to solid, but unspectacular EPL players. Still very good players, but not quite good enough for England.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamaica have a strong pitch to make to these guys. They only have to finish 4th and they have a play in game with New Zealand. Many of these guys don't have realistic England options, so it is a no-brainer. But even for those who do (Sterling + 1-2 of the others) it is still a powerful pitch.

Play in meaningful WCQ with a good shot to play in a WC. Right now. Not next year. Not 2 years from now. Not next cycle. Now.

I like Jamaica's chances to qualify for the Hex. And I think they could be a top 4 team. Toughest Hex ever is likely going to get tougher.

charlie15 and russ repped this.
  22. Ev-ron

Ev-ron Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Jonathan Alexander de Guzmán may even jump to Jamaica since Villarreal got Regulated LOL his chance for Dutch look slim LOL the dude is 25 his only chance at the world cup this 2014 by the next world cup 2018 he would be 31yr. I don't think Jamaica would take him since they now have better mid players with the new English-Jamaicans

23. DearGodNotBornstein

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Jamaica (especially a strengthened one) has a legitimate chance to at least get fourth. It should be a very easy pitch to make, especially to those that have no other way to play in a World Cup. If they're really serious about getting the best possible talent to play for them though, I think they really need to improve the quality of the pitch they play on. The only real drawbacks are travel (which they obviously can't do anything about) and having to sell playing on a poor pitch to talented players that are accustomed to the EPL standard of facilities. I'm interested to see how many commit and how many think flying across the ocean to play their home games on a bad surface isn't worth the time and risk of injury/fatigue.

24. DearGodNotBornstein

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Jonathan de Guzman wanted to play for Jamaica, they wouldn't turn him down. That's silly.

25. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I can't believe the notion of Sterling, Hoilett and de Guzman playing for Jamaica is being entertained in this thread.

How ridiculous.