Jack McInerney. When should he get a NT call-up and when should he head to Europe?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, May 12, 2013.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Eredivisie is the best move for him. Not just cause Jozy benefited there. Plus most teams in that league look to train and develop young players to sell them. He will be better off there.

ckl26 repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You're right about that. May not come until next year though. Should just focus on scoring for Philly. The goals will count a ton toward making it to Brazil in a few months.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's a move I'd like to see happen. Next summer he could be ready, he'd only be 21. Could at least get interest from mid table clubs like Vitesse, Heerenveen, Groningen, AZ.

ckl26 repped this.
  4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vitesse or AZ would be ideal. He could learn a lot at either club that would better prepare him for a move to a larger club in his future. The problem is the league will want a high fee and most Dutch clubs won't pay. Their business model is to buy a lot of players cheap, then train and develop them, and sell the cream of the crop at its highest value.

5. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. The Scandinavian leagues seem to be better for defenders, so younger MLS defenders not ready to jump to the biggest leagues in Europe can go there first, while Holland is better for midfielders and forwards, so our younger guys can make the move the MLS there, instead of going straight to Spain like Jozy or Portugal like Freddy.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    MLS should definitely get an agreement going with the Eredivisie. Loaning our players there or vice versa. Successful and educational league for players and then flipped for a good profit.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love that. But if we agreed to a deal the loaned players would need to have a deal set so if they play well the Dutch teams can buy for a reasonable price which I'm not sure the mls would sign off on. They want to get the highest price they can.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yeah that would be the killer. Hopefully Jac can re-start his goal scoring. Wanna see him make the roster for Brazil but also be prepared for a move to Europe next year.

9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seriously doubt he makes the roster to brazil

10. socal23

socal23 Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I think with one more good MLS season, he'll be ready to make the jump across the pond. I'd hate to see him leave too early, and flame out. Let him continue to develop and get confidence, and then go.

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    True. Earlier in this thread I wrote that I would rather see this season be a full uninterrupted one with Philly, since it has been going so well for him.

Oh well, he couldn't have missed more that, what, 2 MLS games? Better that Klinsi sent him back now than keeping him on until the end if he wasn't going to play him.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  12. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's part of why he needs to jump to the right league/team. He can go somewhere where he is expected to save a team or a top 4 league. He needs to go to a stable team that's goal is to develop young players then sell them when the time is right.

13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought it was nice to introduce a player slowly rather than throw him out there and watch him do something well then get hyped up and ruined like we have the past 15 years.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd say Eredivisie or France/Portugal. Can't imagine he'd be the de facto starting striker for any club in a top 4 league as of right now.

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any of those leagues would be fine but with the right team

16. MattXG

MattXG Red Card

May 17, 2010
    I wish JK subbed in JackMac in some of the blowouts...

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yep. Guatemala, Belize. Heck even 10 mins against Cuba could have shown something. JK missed a chance. Might not be able to give Jac a shot again until January.

18. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My concern about this Gold Cup. Yes there's clear intent to win it, yes there's a half-Confed Cup birth but what have we learned? I think there are a few things but I hope going with a fairly experienced roster is worth it in the end. Otherwise we wasted a few slots on the roster.

- Wondo scored against Belize and Cuba, nice but that doesn't catapult him onto the World Cup team.
    - Goodson was man of the match, great, but Costa Rica hardly threatened or had the initiative to play to win.
    - Diskerud looks promising on the ball but still faces a lot of competition at his position
    - Holden was great against Guatemala in a friendly and Belize. Still far from 100 percent.

It's not meaningless, performances in this tournament shouldn't be ignored but I think early on people were getting carried away. It's not just bigsoccer, all over the place. I think the coaching staff knows the strength of competition and won't evaluate the players solely on this tournament.

I would have liked to see more new faces on this roster to begin with and more opportunities given to those players instead of him calling up players from previous Jan camps. I view the A-team Gold Cup as more important. This "off year" Gold Cup is still yawn to me. Was in 2009, still is.

Just my opinion.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

I wanna see something like this from Jac when he reaches Jozy's age.

20. Napoleon_BA

Napoleon_BA Member

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    CA Lanús
    I'm pretty sure that there was never any intention of playing McInerney in the Gold Cup.

And after reading the article above, I believe it just as much as I did before, but I wonder why it wasn't just as obvious to others. This is the way that Klinsmann operates. He wants younger players to get exposure to better and better football. This is why he wanted MLS players to train during the off-season over in Europe and it's why he wanted to bring in Jack for the camp before the Gold Cup.

Now Jack will know what to expect and know what he has to work on, so when he actually gets a shot, he won't be in over his head. He'll be prepared and will have a better opportunity to have a positive experience his first go 'round. He will also be a better player, yet one who is hungry to prove himself. That's what JK is hoping to instill in younger players and this should be seen as an excellent opportunity for Jack.

Now Jack should try to improve all facets of his game, because if the US qualifies early, Jack might not have to wait until Camp Cupcake to show his stuff again to JK. He might actually get an October/November call up so that Jozy and Dempsey can stay over in Europe and rest.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's solid coaching and inspirational motivation but I'm sure Philly would have prefered to have him playing rather than him thousands of miles away watching others play. Hopefully JK gives him a chance real soon. As you said maybe in November and again in January. Have him on track to compete for a WC role.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    If Boyd moves to Watford/Lazio and gets solid PT and same with Agudelo at Stoke, it's a great chance that Jac may not be going to Brazil. He still has a shot of course providing his goal drought ends quickly. It's 8months out until JK picks his squad but this may be the greatest assortment of US strikers ever. Won't be easy for Jac. Jozy, Gomez, EJ, Johansson, Boyd, Agudelo...

23. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

If you don't score goals in any league, you probably don't get picked.