Jabs, Crosses, Hooks, and Quarter Turns - The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal Off Topic' started by wanye_stirrear, Apr 25, 2010.

1. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

I think it's my turn to host the boxing match, and I couldn't have picked a better match than the Mayweather/ Mosley match to host. There is one small hiccup, but if I iron it out, all BS DC area boxing fans are welcome to come over to watch it. There should be a good crowd of avid boxing fans here - just come with a thick skin and a six pack ;). PM me if you're interested.

Anyway to the match... I can't believe it's a week away! There doesn't seem to be the usual excitement associated with a big fight. Oh well, I can't wait. Let the best man win!

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    --other--
    shit... you hosting a party?

are you in the area, or in the vicinity? (like Columbia or Waldorf?)

thats cool though...
  3. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

To me Columbia and Waldorf aren't DC metro. I'm in the 'burbs, no doubt, but I'm on the Metro line.

Anyway, who gives a shit where you watch it. I'm starting to have a soft spot for Mosley. I'm a Mayweather fan. I have been one for years, but the 24/7 series has made me want to go for Shane. If I were a trainer, Shane's trainer would be my trainer. He's my type of guy. I like the humbleness and quiet confidence. Mayweather is talking a lot of shit for no real reason. You don't need to hype this fight up. The peoples' opinion that a fighter may care about are going to watch it anyway. Mayweather has been a bit disrespectful. He may back it up; he usually does. However, Shane is just one of those nice, underdogs that I can't help but want to succeed. *shrugs*...I guess I'll hedge - let the best man win. I can't wait for the fight.
  4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England
    i want mosely to win

i hate on that arrogant little bell piece mayweather

5. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

That's all it is really. Pre-match hype and bravado. He is doing it to get the mental edge come fight night, but Shane is too experienced to let any of that get to him.
  6. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Normally I catch up on the latest one on my lazy Sunday afternoons, but for some reason I havent been able to. I'll probably watch them all in a row this weekend before the fight.

One thing I was able to catch a replay on HBO was Mosley/Margarito. And Sugar Shane looked good. Wonder how Mayweather is gonna respond to somebody in his face all the time.
  7. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

That was one of Shane's best fights. He also looked good against Cotto. Shane won't fight the same way he did in those two fights against Mayweather. He already said that people keep getting beat because they come in chin first trying to bully Mayweather (De La Hoya, Hatton, Marquez..) and Mayweather's hands are too quick for that to work. I expect Shane to pick his chances and for the fight to be more technical unless Shane is far behind in the middle rounds and needs to make it a war in the latter rounds to win the fight.
  8. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

I get it. Mayweather does it every fight, and I usually don't mind. This time is different. I think it's because, unlike some of the other fighters, Shane is genuinely a nice guy, and he and his trainer have been complimenting Floyd so far. It makes Mayweather's trash talking a little less appealing.

Anyway, Saturday night I'll probably still go for Mayweather. But I'll be happy for Shane if he pulls off the victory.
  9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    --other--
    I like the 24/7s this time around... although Brother Nazim calling Mayweather a coon, in so many words, really bothered me...

especially since Shane and Floyd are supposedly cool with each other... Floyd is just trying to sell the fight and I have no beef with that...
  10. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    no one does it better than Floyd.
  11. Rewinder

Rewinder Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm going to record all of the 24/7s tonight and run them in a row tomorrow morning. Don't see Mayweather losing this.
  12. keepaustingooner

keepaustingooner Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Mosley's age will show tomorrow. I'll be going for him, but just don't see him pulling it off. Mayweather ko in 10th.
  13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    --other--
    Floyd Unanimous Decision

wins by 4 rounds
  14. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Sounds about right. Can't wait for tonight man.
  15. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

Good fight, and great win for Floyd. Obviously, the back-to-back training camps were too much for Shane. He was over trained and was gassed by the end of the third round. He looked good before then, but he was panting badly in the corner after the third, so you could tell that he wasn't in peak condition. Maybe the second round flurry to try to end the fight did him in. Oh well, I hope that he doesn't retire.

Floyd was really impressive. Someone should have taped Shane's left hand against the side of his head because Floyd's right hand landed at will. At the end, Shane was just too tired and Floyd was too quick to the stop the inevitable landslide victory.
  16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    --other--
    Floyd was dominant

but he had Floyd hurt in that second round... Shane was scared of his speed, it was crazy to see... Floyd's dad had it right about Shane coming out jittery
  17. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    For me its the way he responded to those first two rounds that shows us all how great of a fighter he is. He managed to stay cool and composed and that says a lot.

In the end, he outclassed Shane, but still, much respect is due to Mosley.
  18. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

My thoughts exactly.

And Prince, thats why I love how 24/7 has put some more fire into boxing. Mostly every insight from both camps (other than the result) came true. Ie, Floyd Sr saying Mosley would come out jittery, Brother Naseem saying Mayweather would get hit, turn into a "dragon" and we'd see his response, etc.

I'm a Manny fan, but this fight has to happen now. Both camps have called each other out after their latest fights, the whole world wants it, just make it happen already.
  19. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

Yep, plus Shane was talking about trying not to over train right before the fight. It must have been obvious towards the end of the camp that he had. How are you tight and panting after two or three rounds?

I think we are further away from it now than we have been in a while. Pacquiao has the elections coming up this month, and from what I hear, he has a legitimate chance of winning. Plus, he has the pressure from and promise to his mother to retire. Mayweather won't budge on the blood testing request and seemed over the Pacquiao questioning in his post match interview. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pacquiao fight Margarito then quit boxing at the end of the year.

Oh yeah, how about Mayweather coming out with the O'Jays? We were laughing when we saw that. He definitely knows how to entertain. Also, why was Chris Brown singing the national anthem? They couldn't find anyone better and more appropriate? And finally, what was Larenz Tate doing in the ring after the fight? There were many weird things going on outside the actual fight.
  20. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Ugh, don't even want to touch the whole politics part of Manny's career. Its still very much third-world back home and I'm afraid him running for office just feeds into an already corrupt system. People will just use his generosity and popularity against him. Sad really.

Totally agree with you on the O'Jays and Tate. Was loving it too. Dead Presidents, Money, Mayweather? Classic.
  21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    --other--
    he was in their before the fight, in the Mosely corner... was bizarre, lol
  22. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    just give me mayweather - pacquaio this year.
  23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    --other--
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSoBXiDLGYU"]YouTube- FLOYD MAYWEATHER: "MOSLEY KNOWS I WAS HURTIN' HIM"[/ame]
  24. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

I had to spread it around before giving it to you again, which is weird :p, but that was a great interview/ clip. I love his comment about how many Americans don't like him even though he represents them and fought for them in the Olympics, and how they should have his back instead of trying to say boxers from other countries are better than him even though he's undefeated. That wouldn't happen in any other country but America in boxing. We're different in that way. He made a lot of good points in that clip. Unfortunately, unless Williams moves down or Pacquiao takes the fight, there's no one left for him to fight of interest.
  25. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

I agree wholeheartedly with the patriotism comment. It will almost be impossible to find a Filipino that would support Mayweather over Pacquiao, yet there is an abundance of Americans that would pick Pacquiao over Mayweather in a heartbeat. All you have to do is visit any random boxing forum. The lack of support for Mayweather in his fight against Hatton was shameful to me. The Brits there were very vocal in their support of Hatton and were even booing the Star Spangled Banner while it was being sung. That's something no one in that arena should have stood for....especially not on your home soil. The least they could have done was sing the anthem with pride to drown out the drunkard Brits. No passion. Nada.