PBP: J6 La Liga | Sevilla FC v FC Barcelona | 29 September 2012 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Sep 28, 2012.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So if this occurred in inside Barca's penalty box, its enough to give Sevilla a penalty? Wow! That's harsh!

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Have you watched an NFL game recently? Video replays totally destroy the fluidity of a game. And its noticeable in NFL which has very little fluidity to begin with so just imagine how noticeable it would be in soccer. Especially if you start reviewing subjective calls like PKs and bookings (its important to note that NFL only reviews non-subjective decisions, that's why the now infamous "touchception" at the end of the Green Bay - Seattle game was not over-turned).

Just to be clear though, the goal-line technology that is being considered would not at all disrupt the fluidity. The ref will know instantly whether the ball crossed the line or not since the information comes from a chip inside the ball, not by reviewing replays of different camera angles.

3. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Penalties are a problem, agreed.

5. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This gets at exactly the problem with the way handling is called today. It should be the same call no matter where in the field it occurs. Thiago's case looks a lot like one which shouldn't be called since it's a quick deflection into a properly-positioned hand. If he were in the Barça box, that would be an extremely harsh penalty.

6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    My problem with that wasn't whether the handball was intentional or not. My problem was I didn't think it was handball at all. Watching that video again I still believe the ball hit his tummy.

Rana catesbeiana repped this.
  7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yup, and regardless its not like it went off his hand and straight into the net. How many passes were made after the handball until the goal? 4? Sorry, that makes it a lame complaint on Sevilla's part. When the scoring chance develops after the questionable incident, you only have yourself to blame.

Similar situation, but if that goal was given at least Inter have some ground to stand on (because the "hand pass" to Bojan would've resulted directly into a great scoring chance). This (Sevilla) complaint is lame for the reason I mentioned above. It's like complaining that the ref cost you the match by awarding a corner kick just because you couldn't defend the resulting corner.

8. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Valdés; Dani Alves, Puyol, Mascherano, Alba; Busquets, Xavi, Fàbregas; Alexis, Messi y Pedro

Puyol starts the game!

9. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh I posted that in the wrong thread lol

Rana catesbeiana repped this.