J12 Liga BBVA | El Clásico | Barcelona vs Madrid | 29 Nov 09 | Pre/Dur/Post Match Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Nov 21, 2009.

1. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge win tonight, peeps. Real Madrid, to their credit, didn't go all hack-first, ask questions later like last year, and in the first half played incredibly well defensively and could have scored if not for Valdes. And how many times was Henry offsides in one half, that was more than Inzaghi in a full game, lol.

I feel like Pep and Manny P both kept Ibra and Benzema on the bench for psychological effect, although one guy's subbing in obviously did wonders and the other didn't. Raul coming in late was probably a final roll of the dice (I think he came in for a defender?) but I joked at the bar that he was coming in because LPB wanted to slow down the game.

Serge B and Lass, the two foul machines, got the red cards that added just the amount of drama to a 1 - 0 game. Still, it felt like Barça were at even strength before Lass got sent off, still keeping the ball.

Messi should have put the game away! Just give Iker a little fake or give him a chip, how many times have you scored on him pulga you know what to do!

And finally: Kaka, Benzema, Ronaldo. STILL no career goals against the balugrana.

It was a tough game and a hard game. Easily the most satisfying win on the season so far!

2. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this deserves its own post: Puyol is the greatest.

3. Arango82

Arango82 Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    1. Gone when Barcelona players where saluting the fans everyone stayed but him.

2. No

Congrats to Madrid fans for their lost, I hear they are pretty happy. I get frustruated when we lose a clean sheet and can't sleep when we tie or lose but whatever floats their boat I guess.

4. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Puyol was immense yesterday, he made 3 fantastic blocks and the one he made to stop a shot from Higuain was as good as a goal. Great performance from him.

5. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    anyone know why there aren't any away fans at barca-real and real-barca games?

6. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    thier was away barca fans at the 2-6 game.

7. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Madrid played a good game. El Ingeniero tactically beat Pep in the first Half, Second Half was the other way around. I thought Van der Vaart coming in for them was more important than Raul. At the beginning of the second half, everybody knew Zlatan had to come in, but with Pep's history of only subbing in players late, I thought Zlatan was gonna come in with 15 mins left. I was glad Pep put him in 10 minutes instead of 30. When we got the Red Card, Pellegrini should have made his team play possession footall instead of Getting all desperate for the draw. They had one more man, and if they could not hold posession with one more man, they deserved to lose. At the end of the game it was Kaka vs Barcelona.
    I also think the reason that Pep got a little bit more upset than usual for a red, was because he was about to sub Sergi out for Toure.

8. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Tell me about it. Puyol lives for these games.

9. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    LPB basically played like the Little Dutchboy at the dam: they tried to plug as many holes as they can but they only have so many fingers.

Xavi was admirably marked out of most of the game by Xabi and Lass, and Messi was more or less contained even though he wreaked havoc at times. This of course left Iniesta relatively free, even more so as the defenders tired in the 2nd half. And then Pep played the card that would break the dam (sorry mixed metaphor!) by putting on Ibra.

Knowing Pellegrini is about discipline and they are still smarting from the 2-6 demolition, and the fact that they knew how we were going to play but not vice-versa which gave LPB a slight tactical/psychological advantage going in, I expected a tense game. But the quality won out in the end. Still can't believe Leo missed that golden chance -- what a killer pass from Dani too...

And I haven't seen such well-oiled team defense like this from us in a long time. Good to know for when we reach the end of the season that we can shut down dangerous foes.

10. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In this game you have to give credit to the defence and Valdes. OK, Alves will never be the greatest defender, that really is not his strong point, but Puyol in particular, but also Pique and Abidal were outstanding and the save Valdes made from Ronaldo was match altering. There were 3/4 times when I thought Real Madrid were going to score or create a goal scorering opportunity only for Puyol or Pique and Abidal to pop up and make a block or important tackle.

Shame Messi didn't score from his opportunity, but credit to Casillas.

11. USCule

USCule Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd like to say all kinds of cool, important, tactical stuff like everyone else, but all I can do is smile about the results of the weekend.

:D:D:D

Getting that W was h-u-g-e.

12. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Watching the game again Pique was brilliant leading up to the goal. He owned Crynaldo in Barca's penalty area (something he did constantly throughout the match), moved the ball forward and went on a run right through the middle. When Alves put in the cross for Ibra Pique was also making a run into the area drawing some of the defenders' attention.

Runs like these have become a part of his game, he did the same last season in the clasico when he scored, and they confuse the hell out of the opponent's defense since they suddenly have another tower to worrying about marking.

13. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ray Hudson is such a ********ing trip, rewatching and hearing some commentary:

On Ibra: "He could make Barbara Walters cry with his football."

WTF? :confused: :D

14. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  15. Dr.Marin

Dr.Marin Member

May 28, 2009
    USA...
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Was there a particular reason for Toure not starting other than Pep simply chosing Busquets over him?

Based on Toure's declarations, it seems like he was fit and wanting to play.

16. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Not only that, at this point Toure>>Busquets

17. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Toure was coming off the swine flu, right? Toure also got hurt earlier in the season, I believe, which is why Busquets has played more over all. I think when Toure was out, Busquets played well so Pep kept riding him even when Toure got healthy again.

Yesterday, I thought Busquets played well aside from the dumb hand ball.

18. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    i hope yaya starts getting more minutes, be a huge loss if he left......dudes way more of a physical presence, he doesn't lose the ball making dumb back passes either....i was always for busquets getting play time but never over toure.

i think hes probably being subtly punished because his agent seems to like to lash out towrds the press at yayas bench time.....hes starting to do the same at times V_V...

19. Richarded

Richarded Member

May 16, 2006
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    toure >>>>>>>>>> busquets

i feel comfortable knowing big old yaya is there.

not so much with busquets who's made tons of backpassing errors.

20. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For any individual game Toure hasn't started, you could come up with a reason for why he didn't start. Overall, though, the pattern is fishy. He's underpaid, and he's starting to speak publicly about his disappointment with the current rotation system. This may be another of Pep's mysterious "feelings."

21. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    hopefully not, but like i said, yaya and his agent putting the club on blast is not a good look for him.

hopefully this all gets settled before it blows up in their face >_>

22. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Even if Busquets was slightly favored because he's from la masia, it still doesn't justify Toure going public with this. This things should be done indoors.

23. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    For all we know it's been done indoors and going on for a while.

24. USCule

USCule Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Your observations did not go unnoticed....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS0TTh6Oo94"]Pique & Puyol[/ame]