J de Guzman to play for Canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Nov 30, 2011.

1. SoccerNewf

SoccerNewf Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Pasadena, NL
    yeah she can do whatever she wants, she is smokin' hot........*drool*

2. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Gerry Dobson February 3, 2012
    On to De Guzman.

It’s clear he's desperate to play for Canada now. Hart met with him twice recently in Spain. The discussions are no longer exploratory. It’s not about feeling out his desire to play for Canada. It’s beyond that now, and more about how to stickhandle through the immigration minefield.

His brother Julian tells me if you could wave a magic wand and make it happen, Jonathan would pull on that new Umbro kit tomorrow. I've always been dubious that it could happen in time for the June qualifiers, but I'm told that's the goal and that the De Guzmans are hopeful and in fact confident that it will happen.

And if it does, it will be in Toronto, because that's where Stephen Hart and players want it to be. End of story.

3. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Jonathan DeGuzman is de..de...desparate to play for Canada :eek: It's no longer funny to him anymore?

*hyperventilates*

4. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  5. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We know that this isn't going to happen. I think we are going to be looking for some sort of "Minister of Citizenship and Immigration" type of special dispensation.

6. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    FWIW, it looks like JDG2 is losing his starting role at Villarreal - and just as he's been relegated to the bench, Villarreal is turning its results around.

7. SoccerNewf

SoccerNewf Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Pasadena, NL
    I think he lost his starting job a long time ago.

8. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
  9. SoccerNewf

SoccerNewf Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Pasadena, NL
  10. Kannegiesser

Kannegiesser New Member

Jun 8, 2006
  11. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  12. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    there were some articles late in March regarding his interest in returning to the Eredivisie, in an effort to gain senior caps for Holland..so i guess he either already knows he won't regain citizenship, or has just decided to give another run for the Dutch team.

13. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    If we go back to the first few messages of this thread,Jonathan De Guzman is ''considering'' playing for Canada...how funny!All of this happening after he realized that he does not feature in the Dutch national team plans for the near future...I say ignore him.He was born in this country and lived here until his teenage years and yet representing the country of his birth was his 2nd option,despite starting his youth career here.He was willing to give up his Canadian citizenship which he did and now wants to jump the fence and come back to the other side.I know we could use a player of his calibre but what kind of performance(s) will he give wearing our national jersey when that jersey was his second choice for the last few years....He didn't show devotion beforehand so he probably won't have much when/if he plays for us...

14. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    wrong. He went to Holland when he was twelve

15. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Okay my bad but close.Still,he started his youth career here...

16. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Does it really count as a "career" when you're 11?

17. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Well kinda since that's where it started after all.And besides Feyenoord wouldn't have been after him if he had no footy background.Background that he got here in Canada.Facts are facts.

18. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Where did Marc Bircham learn to play football?

19. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Oh yeah that forgetable player who played for Canada on a few occasions without ever setting foot on Canadian soil?:rolleyes::eek:Yeah,I'm aware of his story and how is link with Canada was through his grandfather or something like that.Now quickly explained,that player was nowhere near English national team quality so he had to dig deep to find out if he was linked to another country through his ancestors and found Canada.Anyway,it turned out that England didn't need him at all and Canada capped him but what did he do in the end?Nothing worth mentionning.....So we're not talking about a player who was good enough to play for a much superior national team to which he had almost no ties to outside of football but more of a desperate player who wanted to play international football who couldn't cut it for the team he really was supposed to play for.

20. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Perhaps, but that's also how we got Marcel DeJong, and he's done alright by us.

Fact is, many countries gain or lose players in this manner. A good chunk of the German team is made up of players who chose them over their "real" country.

21. No, Feyenoord wasnot after him, he came over to show himself. Background at that age is irrelevant and non existant unless Dutch, what was relevant to Feyenoord was his talent.

I hope though that he will play for Canada, as I donot want the Orange team become a "mercenaries" charged team. I donot value some of the World Titles of the Italian and German team, because these were won with the help of naturalized players. The charm of National teams as opposed to club teams is that you have to do with what nature throws at you in the talent pool and what you make of them. Once you start plugging holes in your pool with stars from other countries it takes away my respect for the results. Then it is just how attractive are you as a National team to players that you need.
    Just imagine Saudi Arabia naturalize 20 Brasilians and win the World Cup with them, just because they offered them a total of a billion $$.

22. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
  23. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Define a good chunk. The only player you can say that is Cacau, and to a much lesser extent, Klose and Podolski.

24. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    He was born here apparently.Don't know at what age he left though...