**** IU Hoosiers 2013 Thread ****

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by BigRedFootie, Jan 3, 2013.

1. McSoccerdad

McSoccerdad Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    It was not so much the change in personal (subs were used throughout all games) but a change in tactics. Up until the second half of the WV game, the R/L full (wing) backs played more offense than most of the mids. The mids were forced to cover - by design. In the second half of the WV game a truer version of the flat back four was played. The mids were allowed to play more offense and the ball stayed in front of the d.

Roles need to be defined better - we need to find goals but we should not be looking to the wing backs to lead the way. Pick and choose when they join the rush.

Tactics!

2. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Lemme see. Doody's crosses from deep in our offensive third were responsible for IU's 1-0 wins against UNC in the quarters and G'town in the final last year. McCain's cross was responsible for the OT goal against (then #1 ranked) ND in the third round of the NCAA. McCain may also have been the guy who started the action for Femi's goal in the semifinal against Creighton (can't remember).

Yeah, we gotta keep those wing defenders back on their own 18!

BRF

3. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    True as that is, playing those crosses are a lot more effective when you've got a Zavaleta to aim for.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  4. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Granted (UNC & G'town).
    Or a Femi... (Creighton).
    Or a Kotlov (flick on from McCain against ND & THREE TIMES against Xavier).

5. McSoccerdad

McSoccerdad Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC

No one said wing backs should not join the rush. An advancing back can be a dangerous option. But it should not be the first, second and third option . . . the success (and good play and tactics) you cite to is now being overly relied upon. There was more than one time in past 4 games when both wing backs were pressing high at the same time. The run of play you quote to is a cross from a wing back to Middy or Striker not from a wing back to a wing back.

The goals will start to fall in and the wins will come. IU was 2 PKs away from being 3-0. They played UCLA well and had the run of play. UAB and WV were blips in the road...

DFLion repped this.
  6. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    But Zav's role as a target wasn't limited to the goals he scored himself. The one I remember is one where Zav drew the defense but the cross went to someone else who was open as a result.

7. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Nice turnaround, albeit against a fairly weak team. Evidently we are realizing that the ball won't go in the net unless we shoot it, and shoot it we did (19 shots, 11 SOG)! Tommy Thompson scored his first goal and his brother, Tanner, had a breakout game w/ two nice assists. I'd like to know what their parents feed them - what work rates. Everyone got in on the action - Thompson, Bushue, Femi, Corrado.

Still, one thing is fairly certain - we seem to consistently let in at least one goal (or more) because of lack of concentration. That's what happened to start this game. Soderland had to make two nice saves, as well. However, if the Big Red Scoring Machine continues to ramp up that may not be an issue.

Kerell Bradford appeared to sprain his ankle on otherwise innocuous clearance. Hope he's okay.

BRF

stphnsn repped this.
  8. DFLion

DFLion New Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Greenwood
    How were the tactics today against Irvine?

9. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Well, Irvine's tactics were pretty clear. They are a very big team and they fouled throughout the game (27 total). Thing is, they are a talented team and Soderlund had to make some very good saves (although he should have easily saved the only goal Irvine had). We only had four shots ourselves, but garnered one nice goal.

However, this game unfortunately came down to the center ref, who didn't have the 'nads to call a PK when Thompson was mugged from behind in the box. Clear penalty. Sad.

BRF

stphnsn repped this.
  10. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    at least we managed to not lose in OT this time.

11. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Oh, we tried. They bounced one off the post, then McConnell cleared the rebound off the line with seconds to go in the second OT.

12. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    You guys got outshot 16-4 and it was all about one pk call.

soccersubjectively and Hararea repped this.
  13. McSoccerdad

McSoccerdad Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    As far as i could tell, the wing backs did not push at the same time but still delivered quality crosses. Although the team did not possess well (as a group from back line thru to striker) they did manage to have the ball in the attacking third more than the shot number would lead to you to believe.

So far this season is all about PKs.

Any word on Bradford? I dont think they can afford to lose him.

14. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    That's the way it often is in soccer. "Shots" mean very little in soccer. In fact "shots on goal," a better indicator, can also be very misleading. For example, most of the "shots on goal" that Irvine had in the second half were simply misdirected service that rolled and or bounced harmlessly to our keeper. IU was fairly dominant the second half. Maybe that's why Irvine committed 16 fouls in the second half, more than IU committed in the entire 110 minutes. Hard to shoot when you're being fouled.

Score was 1-1 late in 2nd half, we were hauled down [FROM BEHIND] in the box, the PK was not given. That WAS the story.

BRF

Bradford: Ankle sprain - not sure of the severity.

15. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    hoosiers beat brown 2-1 friday night. one goal by mares and kotlov got the game winner.

16. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Slightly different lineup for IU - Femi started in place of Kotlov and Bradford was back. We looked pretty good for a while and scored a nice goal by Mares on a restart. Man, he skied another shot on a nice feed from Thompson minutes after. We then entered our usual post-goal doldrums thru the first part of the second half and we paid for it on a nice header off a cross for Brown. We came right back almost immediately, however, with a nice goal by Kotlov who headed the ball in, getting up over everyone else. This tells me that we had plenty in the tank, but we weren't motivated enough to expand our lead and give them no hope to come back. We've got to get over that and attend to business for all 90 minutes. Right now, that's the difference between this year's team and last year's NCAA tourney team (notice I didn't say reg. season/B1G team!).

Vollmer also came in and gave us some quality minutes. Good to see it - he's winning me over.

BRF

stphnsn repped this.
  17. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i'm looking forward to a tough match against butler on wednesday. butler beat brown 3-0 today, improving their record to 5-1-1.

18. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    I can't decide whether or not I'm looking forward to a tough match!

19. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    well, we looked like we knew how to play soccer for about 86 minutes. then we give up two late goals to force overtime. then a third in the second ot. i am not a happy camper. 3-4-1 record. all 4 losses in ot.

they just stopped playing with 10 minutes to go. i don't get it. our midfield is supposed to be our strength with all their experience, but they just quit tonight.

BigRedFootie repped this.
  20. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Yeah - can't believe it. Butler was ready to quit. They really were, but we let them sift through us quickly (way too passive marking) and gave up an easy goal. That gave Butler some hope and they did the same thing twice more. For some "tactical" reason Bradford was taken out. I'm not sure why. I do know that we miss Konstanski back there to bail us out.

Our goals were nice (altho the second went right between the keepers legs). Thompson is looking better and better.

Gonna be a long season if they keep playing like this.

BRF

21. kickeru

kickeru Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Vs. Butler, IU looked a bit adrift in the first half but came out strong in the 2nd half. Could have been one or two more goals. Then (as said above), IU seemed to relax with about 10 minutes left, maybe sensing it was in the bag. Butler turned in a tremendous effort for the final minutes and the OT, while the Hoosiers were watching. Butler earned the victory.
    Crowd was maybe 50-50 Hoosier fans and Bulldogs fans, but the Butler crowd was much more involved and vocal. 5000 folks in that bowl made for a good atmosphere.
    By the way, if every player worked like Tommy and Tanner, they'd be unbeatable.

Hararea and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    While this will change as they get into conference play and face Notre Dame, IU needs need to be worried about their RPI. Right now it's in the 90s and while a team with IU's resume will always get the benefit of the doubt with the selection committee if they're on the bubble, they'll need that RPI to go up considerably to even get to the bubble.

Or, they could just win the automatic bid!

23. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Agreed. And ND will be gunning for them (not that the others haven't). Plus, MSU, PSU, Northwestern and Wisconsin are all doing pretty well this year. Did I write, "long season?" Could be a short one... :unsure:

fknbuflobo repped this.
  24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Indiana has sputtered early before and been written off for dead. But this program's season ain't dead till the minister leaves the grave.

In other words, I think they'll get it together enough to get in the NCAA Tournament. But their margin for error is pretty slim.

25. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    we're off to a good start in the B1G. femi's butt with the first goal on an assist from a petts shot, and nikita with the second off a great cross from mckain. 2-0 good guys. the irishman's commentary put me to sleep at about the 80th minute. where'd they find that guy?

BigRedFootie repped this.