**** IU Hoosiers 2013 Thread ****

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by BigRedFootie, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
  2. SockerFan70

SockerFan70 Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago

Hes not coming in and starting over McKain at right back. No chance.

BigRedFootie repped this.
  3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    good info.

i was surprised to see corrado there too. they must not have remembered his finishing (or lack thereof) at the college cup. my guess is they knew our midfield is stacked and felt like they needed to pick someone to rep the defending champs.

4. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    ...8-star cap...
    In B'ton via back channels, for services rendered... They're not available commercially yet.

5. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Times are set for IU on Thur(Marquette)/Sat(UNC) at the Ft. Wayne ShinDigz tourney. Both games scheduled to start at 7pm.

Hararea repped this.
  6. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    I almost overlooked this. From the IU Hoosiers site:

Men's Soccer Receives APR Award from NCAA
    June 6, 2013
    BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The Indiana University national champion men's soccer team, along with the men's basketball sweet sixteen, men's golf and women's tennis teams, are among an elite group of Division I sports teams being recognized for top academic performance as part of the NCAA's academic reform program.
    Based on their most recent multi-year Academic Progress Rates, these awards are given each year to teams that posted multiyear APRs in the top 10 percent of all squads in their sports. The APR provides a real-time look at a team's academic success each semester or quarter by tracking the academic progress of each student-athlete. The APR includes eligibility, retention, and graduation in the calculation and provides a clear picture of the academic culture in each sport.
    This is the second time the Hoosier men's soccer program has been recognized, as they also won the award for the 2009-10 academic year. Indiana and Northwestern were the only Big Ten teams to receive the award for 2011-12.
    "We are very proud of this honor," said head coach Todd Yeagley. "This team performed at the highest level in the classroom and on the soccer field."
    The 976 teams publicly recognized this year for high achievement represent 594 women's teams and 382 men's or mixed squads. Full APRs for all teams, including access to postseason play and penalties for low-performing teams, will be released June 11.
    "I want to congratulate the men's basketball, men's soccer, men's golf and women's tennis student-athletes for their outstanding work in the classroom, and commend head coaches Tom Crean, Todd Yeagley, Mike Mayer and Lin Loring for continuing to reinforce academic achievement as a top priority." said IU Vice President and Director of Athletics Fred Glass. "I'm particularly proud of the men's basketball and men's soccer programs for their academic achievements while competing at the top levels of their respective sports. All four of these teams made their NCAA tournaments this year and they are leading us into the next "golden age" of Indiana athletics."

Love this stuff. Just as good as a nat'l championship IMHO.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  7. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    have you guys been seeing these #40momentsofwinning tweets the hoosier army is posting? just reading these has shed some light on a lot of the program's history from before i was around or paying attention.

www.fortymomentsofwinning.tumblr.com

soccersubjectively repped this.
  8. cannonfolk

cannonfolk New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Bloomington, IN
  9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    fknbuflobo and jays_soccer_fan repped this.
  10. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
  11. McSoccerdad

McSoccerdad Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Hararea repped this.
  12. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i considered going, but i'm driving to ohio tomorrow after work and don't want to make the drive tonight. i'll be following on twitter.

i haven't seen much of tommy at this point, but i hope he can handle the big bodies in college soccer better than oliver did last year.

13. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    I'll be there on Sat. Watching twitter tonight against Marquette. Notable changes are Mares & McConnell starting, Lax & Femi in second team. TT up top. 3-1 at half, 3-2 late in 2nd w 2nd 11 on.

14. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    Shit, I'm gonna be down in Indy for a fantasy draft over labor day weekend. Was thinking I might head down to Bloomington for the night Sunday. Just looked at the schedule, now I might have to make sure to get down there by 2.

15. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    BRF, any thoughts on the unc match? i was out in the sticks with no cell service so i didn't even bother to check twitter.

i will be going down on sunday for the ucla match. my brother wants to go for his bday. i'm happy to oblige. hopefully, they get a good result friday night, and we kick ass on sunday.

16. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Yeah, I have some thoughts. Truth be told, we had many very good attempts, including one shot off the left upright. We had 4-5 times where there was a huge scramble in front of UNC's goal, but we came away w/ nothing. Other bright spots on offense: Thompson has a devilishly quick/accurate first touch and he's off to the races. Mares is much the same way. However, this leads to a lot of up-the-gut action. Once UNC figured that out, we had a much harder time penetrating their D. Still, we have the potential to be very good on offense.

That said, we have a few warts. First, UNC's only goal came off a give-away because of a freshman moment by McConnell, augmented by a general sluggishness by IU to open the second half. Hopefully he won't have any more. Second, and I see this as a more persistent problem, the three new guys are all pretty small. We weren't particularly big to start with (and UNC is). This meant that we got knocked off the ball a lot and were ineffective in the air. The two subs we did use, Vollmer and Tanner T., were both even smaller! Some of this was made worse by a rather poor referee (UNC's forward's one move was to stiff-arm McConnell in the chest), but I can see this happening again and again.

IMHO, we missed the size/athleticism of Lax and Femi. We're going to have to find spots for them on the field in order to hold our own size-wise. Evidently Femi is still on the rebound from meniscus surgery this summer, but Lax is 100% and didn't get on the field. I'll be surprised if Lax doesn't come back in at D-mid and Bushue moves back up in an attacking/supporting midfield role.

BRF

17. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Also, remember the tailgate in the northwest lot. I'll be one of the guys w/ the 8-star aprons!

18. PlayForKeeps

PlayForKeeps Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Middle America
    Um, how much more competitive could it be? IU finished 4th in the league in 12. In 14, Maryland and Rutgers enter the mix.

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-soccer/archive/022013aaa.html

If anything, IU needs to stop sandbagging it during the B1G schedule and focus less on adding stars to their jersey... ;)

BigRedFootie repped this.
  19. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    I hear ya! The Big 10 competition was great last year and I think a lot of the programs will be better this year. UMich, MSU, PSU, Northwestern and Indiana should all be as good or better than last year. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Wolverines stack up with 8 returning starters. Indiana's midfield is what worries me; they already were stacked and now they also have Mares. If their forwards play well it's going to be tough.

We of course could beat them in Ann Arbor this year after the good win in Bloomington last year, but it's gonna be tough. Just found out that BTN will air the UMich-Indiana and UMich-Creighton games (both in AA).

20. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, IU need to re-focus on the real prize of B1G. Leave the National stuff to the rest of us.

21. McSoccerdad

McSoccerdad Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    other than the mis-que n size, how did the newbies play? holes filled or still open?

22. SockerFan70

SockerFan70 Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago
    HAHAHAHA ya because focusing on trying to win a NATIONAL Championship sure isn't working...

23. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    IU-2, SMU-1. Well, we prevailed...but it took us long enough. Man, was it hot!!

We gave up another goal on a mistake (got to stop doing that!). But we had two nice replies - a smokin' worm burner by Doody on a restart just outside the area and a Femi header rebound. Nice to see Femi and Lax get back in the lineup. After all, they were both big parts of our national championship. I can see why the coaches like Vollmer as a sub - he runs like a cougar and is not afraid to take a shot. If there is anything to criticize in our offense, it's that we try to make one (or two) too many passes. On to the Bruins.

stphnsn repped this.
  24. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    OUCH! We did everything right in regulation except for our failure to score. We had much more of the run of play. Still too many extra passes - the forward players need to shoot more rather than make that last brilliant pass. It also wouldn't hurt if we could score PK's. The PK was an obvious one. We intercepted a bad pass and the last UCLA defender made the foul in the box. Now, chance to score and ride out the last 20mins against 10 men. But we didn't score!! We had far more chances but didn't put it in the net. This allowed time for another defensive slip-up and a rebound goal for UCLA early in the 1st OT.

All this on an extremely hot day in front of a new record crowd (>7k) at Armstrong. Disappointing.