It's up to MLS/SUM to make CCL and US Open Cup relevant

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by FayMountaineer, Apr 9, 2014.

1. FayMountaineer

Jan 11, 2007
    Fayetteville,NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First all the things we all can agree to(hopefully):

1)Fox owns CCL tv rights through the 2015-16 Champions League tournament.
    2)US Open Cup tv rights?
    3)10 teams currently make playoffs
    4)League will soon have 22 teams
    5)Attendance gets a summer time bump

Dates:
    US Open Cup (Going to spread games out more this year)
    CCL

Now, the stuff we won't agree on:

Problems
    1) MLS needs more exposure on tv (one national game this week on Spanish channel)
    2)With more teams added to the league, the time between winning something is growing. A well run team can be labeled a loser (RSL).

The plan
    SUM needs to purchase tv rights for the CCL and US Open Cup. The rights should not be too expensive (relatively speaking), nobody wants them badly. Fox using as filler on FS2(CCL). In the beginning make all games tue/wed, this is sports wise an open part of the week, more so than the weekend. Sell them as a live midweek sports package. You may ask who would pay for that, it could be sold to break even or even a acceptable loss. Or maybe as a add-on to the MLS/Nats package. Early round US Open Cup games could be sold back to local markets(very small fees or given). The vision is to have third round to the final on Lower ESPN channels, cbs sports, fs2, etc. Games not chosen for network could be added to MLSLive or sold as online streaming content. SUM bought the World Cup rights back when no one wanted them and thru some deal making got the world cup games and MLS on tv. Their long term vision has increased national team and MLS interest. I am not a "TV guy" but I feel SUM are the ones to increase interest and monetize these tournaments.

Benefits
    1) Increase MLS exposure without sacrificing reg season timeslots on weekends. Tournament games can also be used to promo weekend games and any MLS content shows. Normally MLS has 8-9 games a week, 1-2 are on national tv. Might even get a new tv partner(CBS sports)out of the deal. Game were free to ESPN in the beginning. If NBCSN are out for the reg season and playoffs this time around this might be good for them to follow champion's league or FA cup games.

2) The more exposure these games get, in time can help increase attendance(more money) for games the teams have to play anyway. Winning a US Open Cup or a good CCL run could save a manager's job(Olsen). With twelve teams not making the playoffs each year, there will be more out than in. I think we all expect the playoffs to be expanded by at least two, but still do we want so much manager turnover every year. At least half on the non playoff teams will fire their manager and this means a reset of playing style not just for the first team, but also the academy teams.

Finally
    I know it's easy to spend someone else's money but this is an investment that needs to happen. The league can wait and over time maybe the market for these tournaments will grow, but SUM is uniquely qualified, with it's contacts, to at least improve the current situation. They will be the ones who would benefit the most.

Ok, what do you think?

2. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SUM did not buy the World Cup rights because no one wanted them. SUM bought the rights because no one was willing to pay the price FIFA put on them. That's an important distiction.

3. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one cares about the CCL. No one cares about the Open Cup. There's no money in it.

Matt in the Hat and billf repped this.
  4. FayMountaineer

Jan 11, 2007
    Fayetteville,NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, that was the point. More and more teams, 1-3 games on tv a week. Seven teams in each conf, no playoffs. Low exposure and not enough prizes. Three available trophies, two most don't care about. I see it as a problem.

5. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a cheaper way to solve that, ditch the open cup and CCL. I don't feel that's the right course, but if MLS's job is making MLS as valuable as possible, then resources spent on anything distract from that...

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's not correct at all. The discussion after the latest CCL rounds here, on mlssoccer and social media proves otherwise.

Not as many care as they do about MLS, but more and more do care about CCL. It's also a well stated goal from MLS HQ to win CCL, so the league obviously cares too.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  7. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's up to the asses in the seats to make them "relevant" ..... they already are to those that participate.

8. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Many Americans couldn't name MLS clubs let alone other CCL clubs it's a problem.

9. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And my MO here is to explain to people who have an idea of the form "It would be great if X organization spent $Y on this thing that would lose them money" why that money hasn't already been spend. And it's never "Because the OP is so brilliant that he has thought up an idea no one else in US Soccer has".

Yeah, no one cares. I know this, because they broadcast the games on television, and they assign a number based on how many people watched, and there's an objective way of telling which numbers are higher than others.

Sure, there is a community of like-minded individuals who meet on the internet to talk about the CCL, but that's also true of guys who get off on drawings of female world leaders mudwrestling. I bet they have their own sub-forum of the drawings-of-female-world-leaders forum. That doesn't indicate that enough people care to make it worthwhile.

Y'know how nobody cared about SuperLiga? I was honestly stricken when New England lost the final of the second one. But that doesn't effect that "nobody cares" statement.

HailtotheKing, Zoidberg and JasonMa repped this.
  10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you repeating that doesn't make it true. You also show a lack of context. Failed to mention the games are on FS2 or even FS+, which the LAG/Xolos opening leg was. In the build up to the LAG/Xolos series, I saw more people talking about it than a random MLS match.

If you said not as many care, that'd be true. But when CCL is broadcast on a station a number of people don't have or don't even know exists, that plays into it. MLS ratings on Fox Soccer were terrible. Averaged 44K for the 08/09 season. So are you also going to argue barely anyone cared about MLS? The women's pro soccer league averaged 42K on Fox Soccer that same year.

Following the trend of both the EPL and MLS seeing ratings go up on NBCSN, I'd expect CCL ratings would also go up if they were on NBCSN and had professional level production. But Fox pretty much sucks. Of course CCL isn't on NBCSN and won't be, but it also tells me if the production level was different and the games were on a channel more had access to, ratings would be higher.

I'm a bit surprised you're throwing around the ratings argument as the black and white evidence of whether or not people care. MLS has been beaten out by the WNBA when it comes to ratings, so we could also sit here and say no one cares about MLS, as in daily sports life I'd say pretty much no one cares about the WNBA and any product people care about would easily beat out the WNBA. And if/when MLS games ends up on FS2 and pull in poor ratings, would you also argue suddenly much fewer care about MLS? If/when MLS gets ratings anywhere near what they got previously on FSC when on FS1 or FS2, somewhere between 40-60K, and at periods as low as 27K, then I'd say that counts as no one caring about the league as long as we're loosely defining "no one cares" and ignoring any context as those ratings barely register against what we see elsewhere.

Allez RSL repped this.
  11. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason the CCL is on Fox Sport 9 and looks like it was shot with a Nokia camera phone is because nobody cares, not the other way around.

And no, 25 guys talking on the internet will never fix that.

12. FayMountaineer

Jan 11, 2007
    Fayetteville,NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    22K,6K and 5K are the numbers FS2 drew for the CCL quarterfinals(mls teams) per the tv thread. Crazy low numbers,
    FS2 is carried in 37.707 million homes, but I watch a lot of UFC on that channel and didn't see any promotion. Searched for Concacaf on Direct TV box to find it. The question is how do these numbers compare to other FS2 programing not how they compare to "The Walking Dead".

So, FS2's weekly average and highest weekly show are not that good. The smaller sports channels, the one I was trying to focus on, seem to be a good home for these games.

Link

On a separate note, this is the "You be the Don" forum, so for those who don't like people on the internet giving ideas to improve the league, you are in the wrong place.

13. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    The internet always tends to skew, putting it mildly, the relevance of certain things.

The CCL probably has shot once MLS teams can slug it out with Liga MX teams. Still several years away.
    Still see little interest, or real money making ability, outside of those match ups. Even then it may depend on teams involved.

The Open Cup seems to have created a bit more interest once you get to the semis fan wise...even then it's eh.

It always easy to say throw money at it, and not worry about the back end. It's not my money and I am smart, and eventually it will work out!

14. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Who's into the what where now?

Annnnnnnywhoooo...........................chicken and egg sit with CCL. I don't think it can ever get much bigger than it is now.

15. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I honestly think there is very little that can happen to make the CCL really important. The fact is that there is not enough top quality teams in CONCACAF to really make it an exciting tournament. It is pretty clear that Liga MX teams are the best in the field, followed by MLS teams, and then there are a couple countries that could fight it out, and then you have a bunch of teams with no hope. You are not going to have a tournament that really captures people's attention when it is being played in front of a couple hundred fans in Trinidad or Panama. It also doesn't help that the quality of refereeing in a good number of games is absolutely deplorable. For all the crap that people heap on MLS refs they can't hold a candle to some of the CONCACAF refs when it comes to making shocking decisions (the Crew disallowed goal years ago, Keane being called offside when there were 4 or 5 players keeping him onside, and some TFC game where the opposition was pretty much assaulting them and the ref would only whistle fouls against TFC). Oh, and Arabe Unido. That team in and of itself is enough to set back any positive progress the touney ever makes.

16. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

Probably right which is why I hedged what I said.

Only particular match ups with the right MLS/Liga teams, that have the right stars "may" have a shot.

Even then it will take a long time. Can only work with what you have, and there simply isn't much to work with club level regionally. Money wise there is little that can be made in the overwhelming majority of match ups and teams in the region.

The CL was formed because of the money it could generate. The Asian Cup has sheiks tossing millions at it.
    The African Cup.....huh? Money is the generator and there is almost none to make here overall.

17. thnkucomeagain

thnkucomeagain Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Some teams do care about the USOC...

18. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have watched the CCL but I don't get FS2 on Comcast in Boston.

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fire used to, like a decade ago

thnkucomeagain repped this.
  20. thnkucomeagain

thnkucomeagain Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I should have said fans. You are spot on with that.

21. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may not care, but there are people who do. Perhaps a critical mass may be reached some day, but these tourney's will continue to plug away.

22. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'd like to see some more grassroots/supporters' pushes to increase interest in these competitions. At least in KC, most of the people I've talked to at games are incredibly excited about and interested in the USOC and CCL. But this year, I think things are gonna be bleaker at Sporting Park when one of those two rolls around--STMs get three addition games, I understand, with their regular season package. Between two CCL, one guaranteed USOC, and that friendly against Man City, I would assume the one most likely to be against some lower-level US team to be dropped in favor of the more special CCL engagements and of course the shiny little friendly. But then, this is theories I've cobbled from STMs I've talked to. Anyways, if the USOC matches aren't included in the STM packages, then the attendance will probably drop at least to 10k. Probably further.

That's why I'm hoping for a bit more word of mouth push and all that. Or I don't know. I don't really see how having the matches on tv is gonna really get people invested if no one can even sell out their stadiums for the events.

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 25 Rev fans in NE don't speak for MLS fans at large. Maybe those in your market don't care, but fans in other markets do care.

How about you go tell all the people in the stands in KC here that they in fact made a mistake and are at a match no one cares about because some dude in MA said so.

[​IMG]

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they really don't. They care when their team is playing, and even then only some of them. By far, on average, there is less attendance and lower TV ratings for USOC and CCL matches versus MLS league matches. This is because people don't care as much about those competitions, and barely care at all if their team isn't playing in them.

Zoidberg and blacksun repped this.
  25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Hell, I have gone out of my way to try and watch soccer in this country for over 45 years.

I was very interested in the CCL when the new format started. I know the region and teams. Actually have some personnel connections to the tourney....

....and even I don't try that much anymore.

The region is simply to limited for this thing to grow all that much.

My team, NY, will now be in rebuilding mode come fall when they play in it. I am actually hoping our young guys get a ton of playing time in it. If we advance great...if not? Let's just say I won't be broken up. This comp just doesn't bring it.

Matt in the Hat repped this.