It's time to stop playing Freddy out of position

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by soccersonoma10, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Didn't ES figured out he favors his left foot to a fault? that doesn't sound "unpredictable". For Adu to make it with the senior squad he is going to have to learn to distribute under duress.

2. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    didn't he set up 2 goals with that left foot in that game???

3. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and he could have scored 2 goals if he'd have shot with his right.

But i do agree with you that he certainly can change the game

4. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the second one was with the right that he never uses.

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is precisely why I think he's a bad fit for a wing attacker. He's not a "charge into the box and score" type (that's Dempsey and, to a less effective extent, Shea) on either foot. He's a "make a defender's life miserable from 25 yards away" type. And we're just really short on those types. When going well Landon can be that type. Torres may or may not be able to be that type if given a chance in the role, and we have a few youngsters that maybe could be it one day (Flores, Gil, Lletget, Guido).

But at the present time, that role is pretty much Freddy and no one else. The assist on the goal to Boyd was setup mainly by Freddy's ability to be a multifaceted threat from outside the box. We're a country like England that has a long history of "direct" soccer and Freddy is simply not a "direct" player. Landon has the great advantage of being able to be effective in any style.

That's a mark against Freddy, but then us being wedded to "direct" styles is a mark against us.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's too bad that Adu was hurt during the camp cupcake friendlies. I'd like to see what he could do in Klinsmann's 10 spot with limited defensive responsibility and freedom to roam. Not sure there is a chance to try that out soon with qualifiers starting so soon, but hopefully he can overcome the disaster that looks to be Philly this year and put in a good MLS season.

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, he did. one was a cross in to the small box, crosses to me is putting the ball in a position for a teammate to connect, is not a direct pass. the other was an ES defense mistake by given the ball away right outside the 18 which Boyd quickly move for the through ball and Adu with no marking made the correct pass. Again, I'm emphasazing a pass during a pressure situation which is the type of passes that breaks down defenses. You are looking at the end product rather than the type of passes Adu need to do to get a chance at the "10"

8. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    a cross isn't a direct pass.......lol. what is it, indirect?

9. cookiefritas

cookiefritas Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Adu is too slow and weak to be a great winger, but I think he can be a good distributing type of midfielder. He sees the game well and is a good passer of the ball, if the usa is dominating possession, he is the type of player that can break down a bunkering team with his nice passes. The only issue I see, is that he is the kind of player that is better when he sees plenty of the ball, I don't think the coach is ready to play the game through Adu.

10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    direct pass is when you have someone in mind, didn't you know that?

11. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    oh i see, freddy adu was attempting to pass to no one. that sounds about right.

12. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, the Jeremy Lin effect. Adu when he can dominate the ball and control the game is on another level that no one in the pool is on but when he isn't, he isn't a top tier player at all and he is not versitale at all.

1 person likes this.
  13. 2up2downBeach

2up2downBeach New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Club:
    AZ
    Foward: Altidore
    Withdrawn Foward: Dempsey
    Right Mid: Donovan
    Center Mids: Bradley, Holden
    Left Mid: Adu
    Right Back: Chandler
    Left Back: F. Johnson
    Center Backs: Onyewu, Ream/Whitbread

If we could somehow get this lineup on the field i think we could play with anyone.

Or if u think that freddy cant play left mid start beasley or shea, and towards the end of the game take of altidore put dempsey up top and sub on freddy to play attacking mid.

Damn i miss charlie davies too:mad:

Why cant we get everyone healthy and have a true A team on the field for once lol

14. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you didn't read the title of this thread, putting Freddy Adu on the left wing would be putting him out of position the very thing you don't want to do. Freddy is best played in the middle behind two strikers, he's a CAM after all. It's funny how Porter always put Adu on the right wing instead of putting him in the middle where he is most lethal.

Anyway we will see what happens from here on, one thing's for sure Freddy Adu earned a call up to the Senior National Team that much is very clear.

15. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    I think Porter put him on the right because he needed to play Corona, who probably wouldn't be as effective on the right (even though he plays on the wing at club- I don't think that's his optimal deployment). But I agree, Freddy is a CAM.

16. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question, what do you think of Adu's game at the Philly Onion (Union)?

17. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    Adu is a good player for the Union, but Nowak doesn't know how to use him. The left wing really is almost as bad a spot as the right wing for him. That being said, Freddy was their best player Saturday, then Nowak foolishly subbed him off. I think he is on a different level than the rest of the Union, wish he was with another MLS team

18. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So like Shea he needs to go overseas to improve his game?

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The last thing I would give Adu is freedom to roam, unless it were in a clown suit with the intention of watching the other team die laughing. I'd always have him on the bench, tho, because he's good for twenty minutes of spraying passes around from the middle of the field, if that's what is needed.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've often thought Adu could come in when Jozy is out of gas. Don't know if Jozy has improved his conditioning in Holland. The idea would be to improve service to the scorers without taking out a good defensive player.

21. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    that was somewhat disrespectful/rude. i'm sure you will be eating those words before too long

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wait a minute.....I said I wanted Adu on the USNMT. I worship the USA team. I rate Adu among the top dozen or so players (offense) in America. That is hardly disrespectful of Adu.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Drew the handball penalty for the only score. The skill and verve from the youth days are still there but wow the speed of thought and ability to control the game need a lot of work. The man desperately needs reps at club level.

24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    This is exactly my take on Freddy. Excellent skill and "do the unexpected" factor. So-so vision and decision-making. I don't know whether or not he'll ever be a canny string-pulled but game sharpness does tend to sharpen up players' decisions. He can most likely play better than current form.

25. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    "Do the unexpected" can also be good vision and good decision-making, and often is, in Freddy's case.

I didn't see the last game, but I heard he was better than slow thought, slow decision-making, and so-so vision.