It's time for Sermanni to "Tighten" the Player Pool and lessen the Quantity of player experiments

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by WPS_Movement, Mar 7, 2014.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    In the game of basketball, college and pro teams may have 10 or 11 players that play in a rotation for much of the regular season. But down the stretch in the regular season, and into tournament or playoff time, those rotations become much tighter, usually around an 8 player rotation. Less players are then playing on the court, more of your reserve players are now sitting on the bench (and not playing), as you limit it to the BEST players who get to play all the minutes during all the key games down the stretch.

Well, Sermanni needs to take heed to that. Now it's time to limit that player pool to about 26 players (maximum) right now in competing for 21 WWC spots. It seems he's experimenting and evaluating too many players still this close to the next WWC (just a little over one year away now). Now is the time (Spring 2014 and going forward through 2015 WWC) that he needs to "tighten" his lineups and player pool (# of players called up). And less experimentation (such as Leroux as an attacking mid, like he has done in the past). It's time to narrow down the thinking, and optimize (minimize, i.e. "Qualitize" the total number of formations, lineups, and players in each position to a minimum (Quality), instead of Quantity of experimentation.

And if it were up to me, here are the 26-28 players I would narrow it down to at this point.
    (player pool for the 2015 WWC):

F - Alex Morgan, Christen Press, Sydney Leroux, Sarah Hagen, Abby Wambach
    MF - Lauren Holiday, Megan Rapinoe, Tobin Heath, Morgan Brian, Carli Lloyd, Heather O'Reilly, Erika Tymrak, Kristie Mewis, Shannon Boxx (she's earned a chance to prove herself, based on past merit)
    D - Leigh Ann Robinson, Kelley O'Hara, Ali Krieger, Crystal Dunn, Stephanie Cox, Christie Rampone, Becky Sauerbrunn, Whitney Engen, Rachel Van Buehler
    GK - Hope Solo, Nicole Barnhart, Jill Loyden, Ashlyn Harris (Franch depending on how she does in 2014)

Boxx and Franch are shown in Bold, because Boxx would have to prove she could indeed come back (she'd have to "earn" it, but she deserves to get a chance). And Franch would have to "WOW" everyone during the 2014 NWSL season to have any chance at this point.

2. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    thats like everybody lol

3. JohnDoe54

JohnDoe54 Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if "Rachel Van Buehler" was on purpose, but it made me laugh really hard.

I agree, to some extent, but there is a good "core" players used or called up in every game. Tightening the roster won't be for a while (although I get your concern with the womens game playing less during a non WC year). I'd say it won't be until early next year that we really start seeing less experimental players. I know people hate when the men and women are compared, but hell, Klinsmann doesn't even have a tightened roster and surprises always happen.