It's Silly Season. Who's Coming, Who's Going....(Aguer-No, Speculation, Rumours, Etc)(Part 15)

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Northern Juventino, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember back in the day under Capello when we had the likes of a younger Del Piero and Trezeguet and were winning games 1-0, 2-0. People bitched about not scoring enough, yet we won the Scudetto. I don't care if we win every game 1-0, as long as we get 3 points.

I'd prefer we focus on the positions we need filled first, then worry about another striker.

2. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I absolutely agree with you. That's why I have advocated that our LB slot is still not strong enough. Additionally, if we don't see Bonucci to be the starter, let's go out and get a kick-ass CB to partner Chiellini (my vote was for Mertesacker). I have also said to get cover for Lichtsteiner because Grygera dn Motta don't instill much confidence in me. But, we haven't been linked with any LB since Ziegler arrived and our pursuit of Beck ended with our purchases of Lichtsteiner and Motta :rolleyes: For the CB slot, we haven't really been linked with anyone solid until Lugano a few days ago. So, I agree with you 1000% - industrial, hard-working 1-0 wins would be fine for me. I'm not caring much about razzle dazzle up front. But, I do want to at least make sure we can score. A young ADP and Trez is 10x better than current Matri & Quags.

IMO, the positions (plural) we need filled are: #1 LM/LW, #2 CB, and then LB/ST (in close order). So, it's not like we have 10 changes to make before we can begin looking at strikers.

3. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    The only thing that bothers me with regards to his age specifically is that we'll only really be able to get maybe one or two seasons out of him. Personally, I prefer younger players. Picking up guys who are between 30 and 33 just doesn't appeal to me. Why I'm torn is that I think Bonucci should be the guy who starts in the middle with Chiellini. I don't like the idea that we went out and spent 15m on a guy who will now be a backup to someone 6, going on 7, years older than him that we got for 11.5m less. To me, that just doesn't make any sense. If Lugano is going to be your guy, then you should sell Bonucci and make some of that money back. After a couple years of starting, now Bonucci is going to have to go back to square one and be an understudy. Can we afford to pay 15m for understudies? I wouldn't think so. If you're going to bring in a player like Lugano, you no longer have a need for Bonucci. What good is it going to do us if Bonucci wastes away some of his most developmental years as a CB riding a bench? This, to me, comes down to development of youth. I want to see our youth develop (and, yes, I include Bonucci as part of our youth development) and play for this team for a good long while.

4. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah look at Inter when they got Lucio he was like 32 I believe and he was a main reason why they won the CL.

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Lugano will still be an excellent defender at age 31 or 32, heck even at 34.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this talk about strikers, but what about Romelu Lukaku. A lot of talk that he was going to Chelsea, but for the time being it's broken down. He's young, which should appeal to a segment of the fans here, and he's valued at 20 million.

7. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    thats true, i realize that now. maybe a new FW will be useful, but who could we go after now?

8. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He'd be a great pickup for the future and now.

9. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    too much money. dont think its worth the risk. maybe if the price was around 12-15

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too much money? Really?

11. Dante

Dante Moderator