It's Silly Season. Who's Coming, Who's Going....(Aguer-No, Speculation, Rumours, Etc)(Part 15)

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Northern Juventino, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Re: Who's Coming, Who's Going....(Speculation, Rumours, Etc)(Part 15)

Would love to splash out money for a big defender but who???

Our guy's up top are not that young and we all saw how injury prone this team has become the last 3 years.

Dante do you feel comfortable going into next season with what we have up top if we don't buy anybody??

2. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC

All players are "pricey" these days. It's no use complaining that Matri costs 18M and then accepting that Aguero costs 35-45M. The trickle-down effect of a few players costing an astronomical amount of money (and those few clubs willing to pay such amounts) is that now all players are comparatively over-priced when it comes to their actual value. Is Matri really worth what we paid for him? No, probably not. But it's not an unreasonable amount of money to pay for a player like him these days. The same is true for Quagliarella. So if you're willing to pay 40M for Kun, you can't turn around and use the same argument against Matri.

And let's just be clear: the difference in price for Matri and Aguero is huge. That's a difference that still matters to a club like us.

3. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  4. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Here is what we have as our strike force:

- Del Piero
    - Matri
    - Quagliarella
    - Toni
    - Iaquinta
    - Amauri

Not sure if there is anyone from the Primavera coming up but probably will get loaned out. The last two are probably players the club wants to move but easier said than done. So we may have all six. If we bring in Aguero, especially at his price, he is not sitting on the bench. That has to be considered in the dynamics of the club. Will Conte use three strikers? With really one competition, how would he keep Del Piero and Quagliarella not only satisfied but also productive? If we made the EL, different scenario.

I don't think Juve needs big signings on defense or the left wing. What they need are quality players. That can be done without making headlines. If Conte has players he is interested in that fit whatever system he plans to use, then make those signings.

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes I do, with Matri and Quags and Del Piero in support, as well as Toni (ugh) and Iaquinta I think we'd be ok. Amauri can take a hike.

This past season Juve scored 72 goals in all competitions with its rotating strikers (and limited strikers in the EL). I think we can do more this season with a better midfield. In Serie A Juve scored 57 goals, with 6 teams scoring more (from 58-69 goals). Juve also gave up 47 goals, 9 teams let in more than Juve (from 48-66).

6. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

THANK YOU! I felt like I was taking crazy pills in that I have to constantly remind people how talented of a player he is.

Yea, last season they did. The 3-4 seasons before, was Matri producing at the same level? No. And, yes, I agree. I would perosnally spend up to 30M for Aguero. Overspending by 5M. To me, we overspent on Matri by 5M too so I'm not sure how this is such a great difference.

Another, THANK YOU!

Firstly, the buyout clause is only in effect for intra-league transfers. The 45M buyout clause cannot be activated against Juventus. Sure, Atletico don't have to sell, no team ever does. But, typically when a player puts in a transfer request, the team sells that player as they don't want someone on their team that has no heart to play there. So, like I said for several times now, 45M can act as a guide to what Atletico would absolutely have to accept but they could very well accept offers for much less.

I use stats for people who have never seen him play, which some on here haven't seen to play him. What can he do? Well, Aguero is one of the best and brightest SS in the world and has been producing consistently well in the goal department for years now. He is very young for such experience - 22: as has collected nearly 200 domestic appearances for Atletico, 25 international caps, has won the EL, played in the CL for a few seasons, and in the WC. Not many 22 years have such an extensive resume at their age. So, besides experience, he has a great presence in the attacking third. He is speedy and can take men on but can also take on defenders and leave other players open for goals (him and Forlan were tough to defend against). ADP is on his way out at the end of the season. IMO, Aguero can step into the spot ADP leaves (NOT saying he is going to easily fill his shoes, no one can!) but he represents one of the better candidates to do so. And, he can be a part of this club for a long time. Talk about continuity. If he does well here and we don't try to sell him, he can be here for another 10+ years..

7. turco3

turco3 Member

Jul 23, 2006

true words my friend, true words. Bottom line is, our defense blew it for us. How many times did our defense give up the lead this year? Aguero is not needed here, especially for 35 mil or whatever his price is.

How about we use that 35 mil and pour it into our lack of defense??? I don't know, that might make too much sense for everyone here.

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm going to say my piece on Aguero and be done with it because I think all this Aguero talk is going nowhere and getting tired. Is Aguero talented? Well it would seem so. Will he do well in Serie A? Not too sure. Is his buyout clause of 45 million worth it? ******** no! Is there a price I would pay to bring him in? Yup, 25 million. Do I think we need him? Not this year. Will I be mad if Juve pays more than 25 and neglects other areas on the team? Hell yes.

kthxbye

Y'all have fun talking about him.

9. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

honestly ive never been too impressed with athletico, other than EL win last year, they have done nothing special in la liga or europe. They are usually 6-7th spot in la liga even though they've had players like torres, forlan, aguero, simao, reyes and more....so im not sure if aguero is really the savior we're looking for

exactly my thoughts, both matri and quags are hungry hard working players. This is their chance to put themselves on the map and they know it. They're not gonna come in with some half ass performances, i dont wanna a drama queen whos gonna b*tch and moan when we dont get results and they'll ask for a transfer next season. We need team players

10. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Davey - Other articles indicate that the clause is the starting point for Atletico. Look, if we can get him for 18 million like Matri, write the check. I don't know where all of the hype about Aguero being a great player comes from. He did not start against Albania in Argentina's last friendly. Let's see how he does next month in the Coppa America. Why some of you think he is a must have player when we have great deficiencies at the flanks and let me add at defensive midfield because Melo still does not get the job done, I have no idea.

11. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC

thats exactly what im saying, for the price that Atlectico want it would just be a waste of money considering all the other problem areas at the moment. money better spent somewhere else

12. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC

this

13. turco3

turco3 Member

Jul 23, 2006

we aren't in such a shitty state as people make us out to be, we didn't have a goal scoring problem as Dante already pointed out. The predominate issue was that our defense blew leads and leaked goals heavily.

47 goals against last year with 57 goals for. Reduce our goals against by 10 and we are in Europe.

Defense wins championships. (Milan, 24 GA..lowest of all teams yet they didn't have the highest GF)

14. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

And, if that is the case, then I would READILY say PASS! But, I don't know if that's necessarily true. Atletico are in shit shape financially so they may need to sell someone like Aguero to pay off some debts, especially this season without any money coming from European qualification. So yes, if the price is near the 45M figure, forget it! I don't want Juventus to spend 45M on him like any of you do either. But if he can be had for 30M, than that's a price reflective of his value, IMO.

Whether a player starts in a Friendly is hardly something which can be indicative of his quality. Gilardino, Iaquinta and God knows who else were getting minutes and starts over Rossi the past year or so under Lippi while Rossi's price tag and value is double those guys. So, that has nothing to do with it.

I don't think he is a must-have player. I never said that but I like the idea of Juventus going for a top class player like him. If you claim he is "just a good player right now" then fine. We have a difference of opinion. I've seen him play domestically, continentally, and internationally and I've been impressed with his abilities.

15. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC

What makes you think Aguero is not hungry?? He wants CL football and if he comes here he will be hungry for titles. Never heard of 1 problem with him.

Falc- I read that article on Quags and believe me I'm rooting for the guy. But if I have to be honest Kun is 2x the player Quags is now. And going foward Quags may start declining sooner than later.

And players can still be hungry and suck. I'm sure all of our players want to win but if they can't get the job done than what?? Play them because there hungry?? We need players that are hungry and that can show they belong. I have no doubt that Aguero would fit just fine. If anybody has been following him on this board than you would know he comes up big when needed. He has scored huge goals against Barca, Real and in the CL when he helped Atletico qualify 3 or 4 years ago for the 1st time in like 10 years. the kid doesn't disappear like some other players we may know.

Like I said I would welcome a siging like Aguero. I know he has the heart of a champion and is not some punk who wants to chase the money. He's a world class player

16. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Who's Coming, Who's Going....(Aguero, Speculation, Rumours, Etc)(Part 15)

Now, I'll also stop. I've said my piece on Aguero as well and I'm not going to try to convince people of him anymore. If we get him, we get him. But above all, I want our defense sealed up.

17. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC

To be honest I doubt we even get the kid. City will most likley pay the fee if they get rid of Carlitos.

I'm done as well with my Kun love.

18. turco3

turco3 Member

Jul 23, 2006

What is top class? If we go by simply stats then Matri must be world class as he outscored Ibra, Totti, Pato, Robinho, Rossi, Villa, Benzema, Rooney, Chicarito, Van der Vaart. Matri scored the same amount as Berbatov, Tevez, and everyone's favourite Aguero.

The only thing Aguero brings to the table is his name. PASS. Spend the money elsewhere.

Imagine if we do sign Aguero and he doesn't perform as people expect him to. It will be Diego volume 2.

19. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

These are stats only of this past season. What were Matri's stats the past 4 seasons? Even Pietro Paolo Virdis can have one great goal-scoring season :rolleyes:

Have you seen him play? I don't just mean a game or two. No offense, but from your statement 'he only brings his name to the table', it doesn't sound like you seen him much.

20. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Aguero did not start before the last test prior to a major tournament. What does that say? He came on as a sub and he did score, the third goal in a 4-1 win. But it is not Aguero's team, not that it should be with Messi. But he is not even the best man for Argentina. Just one of the groomsmen. So how he somehow is a great superstar worth so many millions, where does that come from? This discussion is ridiculous. The truth is that Juve will not be any better with him or any worse without.

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, if we only had goals 44 goals scored against, we would have been in the Europa League. 43 and we'd have finished 4th. I'm looking at points dropped in draws.

22. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Just a question for those who want to "spend elsewhere"? We haven't been linked with any top class defenders. Lichtsteiner? Bocchetti? Rolando? Beck? All of these players are "good" at best. So, are we really better off spending ~30M on 4 players as opposed to 1?

“The trouble with the current squad is there are some good players and others who are very good, but the general level of quality has to be improved. When there is a reformation, it is better to introduce at least a couple of quality players at a time. I always told clubs: I don’t want seven players. I want two good ones.” - Fabio Capello

23. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

What do you want me to tell you? Argentina's got one of the best attacking units in the world. Tevez, Higuain, Messi, Milito, Pastore, Lavezzi, Di Maria, etc. He's one of the youngest, if not the youngest of the group, so I can't seem him ousting Tevez or Messi for the starting roles.

24. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC

that's what I get from some of these post as well. It's fine and all if people don't like Aguero and don't want him but some comments don't make any sense. All he brings to the table is his name??? Well than how the hell do you think he made a name for himself the past 4 years?? People make it seem like he's nothing special when in fact he is.

25. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Sure Capello, adding two good players to a very good team, one that consistently wins the scudetto or is competing for it, not only makes sense but is easy to do. We can add two superstars, pay 60 million for them but with players like Motta, Grygera, Traore, Grosso as the outside backs, Krasic and Pepe as the only real wingers, Melo as the defensive midfielder, those "two good ones" are not going to accomplish much.