Alert: It's only a matter of time...then who?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by JamesA, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who would be your first choice as Moyes replacement?

1. Hiddink

4.5%
  2. Klopp

60.6%
  3. Laudrup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. De Boer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Garcia

3.0%
  6. Martinez

6.1%
  7. Van Gaal

13.6%
  8. Meulensteen

1.5%
  9. Other

10.6%
  1. b0sk1

b0sk1 Member+

Jan 28, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roy Keane ;)

Denis Horan repped this.
  2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    The fact that he has a philosophy? Thats pretty fun to watch?

3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

So are you saying, you'd rather give LvG the long term deal, or find another options completely?

4. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Yeah Yeah Yeah I was referring something that stands out at him from all the other candidates. The philosophy is in Klopp, Simeone and a couple more, but all those ones do not have the balls ot handle Rooney.

benni... repped this.
  5. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Our share prices have gone up today after the news of him getting sacked. Lol.

EruditeHobo and jeff070 repped this.
  6. TheRedDevil

TheRedDevil Member

May 16, 2012
    Liverpool's Perch
    Like someone on Twitter said, Ed Woodward might want to fly to Madrid today. Mourinho, Guardiola, Simeone and Ancelotti all in same city on same day :D

jeff070 repped this.
  7. TheRedDevil

TheRedDevil Member

May 16, 2012
    Liverpool's Perch
    #282 TheRedDevil, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    If Klopp ain't coming, give van Gaal a 2 year contract, with minimum requirements of making the Champion's league like we did with Moyes.

No need for a complete overhaul, we were Champions 11 months back. Prioritize getting a CM or two, an LB (hopefully Evra stays and backups the new starting leftback, if we are fortunate enough to sign a quality 0ne), a backup rightback, a centerback and one winger if possible . And please sell off some deadwood like Young, Cleverley (or maybe who knows van Gaal might want to use him in a 3 man midfield, but meh), Fellaini (tough, he just came, but he doesn't fit anything that's United, just like Moyes) etc.

Evaluate everything after these two seasons.

It's interesting to note that Guardiola said he wants to stay at Bayern for another couple of years, so we can offer him the job then, if things with van Gaal are coming to a conclusion. In two years time we can also see how Klopp and Simeone have continued to do with their "beloved" clubs (if they've in fact stayed put ofcourse) and if they're still as good as they are now, then we can ask them again if they want a change in scenery. In 2 year's time Mourinho might be available as well, if things with Abramovich heat up again.

If things are going very well with van Gaal after 2 seasons, then there's no harm in allowing him to extend another couple of years and take us as far as he could either.

Whatever we decide to do, the future should be bright now that Moyes has gone.

8. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Van Gaal is appointed I feel that Cleverley would be the player who would most gain. I really do.

barroldinho repped this.
  9. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He beleives in Vertical passing not Horizontal.

10. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's Madrid. If he doesn't win anything this season, will probably get the sack.

Drae repped this.
  11. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He plays a 3 man midfield.

12. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Watch us appoint Roy Hodgson after the World Cup... :devilish::giggle:

JC7rox, EruditeHobo and jeff070 repped this.
  13. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree. Cleverly isn't a terrible player by any means. In fact, he's had the odd purple patch of form. He's just a bit of a water carrier. Being one of three would certainly suit him, I think.

I also think there's more to come from Fletch, if his rear holds firm.

14. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, guess that aspect should suit Cleverley but he will want more defensive contribution and creativity from him.

I'm not fully sold on Van Gaal though. He is bit of a looney, Short term and even for first summer of that short term he will be focussed more on the World Cup.

His philosophy part is appealing though.

15. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why is LvG a short term option anyway? Christ, any manager that stays 5 years is long term in the world of modern football.

16. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is 62 now and Going by his past record in about 2/3 years, he manages to alienate everyone and leave when his team is having a dip.

He hasn't had the jobs to do so you could say, but he hasn't exactly won many trophies this millenium either.

17. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    62 is nothing in this day and age. I can easily see him carrying on until he's 67/68 or so. Assuming he was successful of course.

Also, he has only ever managed at big clubs where the board is far more invovled in football matters, with Barcelona and Bayern being absolute chief among those culprits across Europe.

At United, we tend to give our managers most of the say in football matters, for better or worse. I can easily see him making 5 years without a huge power struggle with the board. Sure, I see power struggles with players, but that's nothing new and I see us allowing him to just boot them out of the club, much like Fergie did on numerous occassions.

18. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tomorrow's papers are interesting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    Has he learned nothing from appointing Moyes? I hope he has more common sense and stay out of it this time.

20. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 12m
    Jose Mourinho going with a bang. Angry with scheduling of #LFC v #CFC match on Sunday and his preference will be to play B-team at Anfield

Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 11m
    Mourinho adds he will have to take advice from Abramovich. "I'm not the most important person at the club. I do what the club decides."

Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 8m
    Basically, Mourinho planning to change entire team v LFC unless Abramovich over-rules him. "I'm just a piece. I'm the manager, no more."

Is Mourinho trying to get sacked ?

21. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, the ball is in Giggs' court. Like I wrote in the other thread, the only practical reason to sack Moyes a few games before the end of the season is to give Giggs a chance to manage the squad and see what he can do.

22. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    The more obvious reason is to be able to openly recruit his replacement.

23. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Can someone from the club fly Ferguson as far away from Manchester as humanly possible until September?

TheRedDevil repped this.
  24. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've got no problem with Ancelotti myself. He would be as good a candidate as anyone.

And what the hell is Mourihno playing at?

25. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Sun, The Star and the Daily Telegraph. Gospel then.:rolleyes:

Also, if Fergie's contribution to the conversation is to put forward Louis Van Gaal and Carlo Ancelotti as candidates, then respectfully perhaps he should consider changing his name from Sir Alex Ferguson to Sir No Shit Sherlock.

Seriously, his continued involvement in all this, on top of that ranting bitchfest of an autobiography he released last year, is sadly starting to make him look like an arrogant old buffoon, which is a painful thing to find myself saying about him.