Alert: It's only a matter of time...then who?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by JamesA, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who would be your first choice as Moyes replacement?

1. Hiddink

4.5%
  2. Klopp

60.6%
  3. Laudrup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. De Boer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Garcia

3.0%
  6. Martinez

6.1%
  7. Van Gaal

13.6%
  8. Meulensteen

1.5%
  9. Other

10.6%
  1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    To be fair things could have been a lot different had Moyes/Woodward not completely botched the summer transfer window. That's not on Ferguson.

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have a feeling that Van Gaal and Rooney will but heads almost immediately...which is fantastic.

jeff070 repped this.
  3. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The other day you had Nani Mata and kagawa on the pitch and couldn't create a chance. It doesn't matter who he would have bought, he is not a good enough coach . Things would have been a lot different, you would have bought 2 or 3 more big money flops.
    Watch what a good coach will get out of those 3 ;)

johno and benni... repped this.
  4. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Me too. The only good thing is his character to keep Rooney in line.

5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That and he will surely bring a formation change. He is a strict believer in the 4-3-3 and has played that formation wherever he goes.

6. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    This.

We don't even know what woodward did wrong. He was blamed for a bunch of stuff that could also have been moyes' fault.

Van gaal isn't the ideal option but united shot themselves in the foot last summer. There aren't as many managers available and united could have had mourinho

benni... repped this.
  7. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Yeah. I wasn't mentioning the qualities that also other managers have. He has one thing over all of them the character in the dressing room which no candidate has.

I still think having him will bring the best in Kagawa, Mata, Nani.

8. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    We should have gone with Klopp who didn't sign an extension at the time.

9. Vocalz

Vocalz ManUtd! SLB! Pt!

Dec 31, 2005
    California
    #259 Vocalz, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    I think an important thing is bringing in a manager that will prevent any hemorrhage out of the few good players we have left. And a name players would want to sign under.

Any lesser quality name and we're ********ed in both those areas.

10. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I really like pochettino but he's also a big risk. United don't have many options outside of van gaal.

jeff070 and Invincible repped this.
  11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We really shit the bed last summer not signing Mourinho, Pep, or Klopp but time to move forward. Van Gaal is the best option of available managers. Best case scenario, he rights the ship and puts us on course and in 2-3 years Klopp takes over.

I hope SAF has no say in the manager this time and doesn't try to push one of his Brit friends that will be under-qualified.

12. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    I think Klopp has been hurt by Bayern's dominance. He'll probably only leave with Dortmund back on top in Germany.

13. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    Bringing Van Gaal in would be the perfect short to mid-term appointment. Bring in a possession-based 4-3-3 which will suit RVP, Mata and Kagawa down to a tee. Will isolate Rooney on the left and allows Welbeck plenty of game time as back-up to Van Persie with a view to taking his spot in one to two years, maybe less if his injury problems haven't cleared up.

After Van Gaal consolidates us as a proper title-challenging team, a more long-term appointment can be made, by which time Klopp can come in. His antagonistic nature shouldn't be an issue because quite frankly, we need something like that at the moment...

TheRedDevil and barroldinho repped this.
  14. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    A CQ - Giggs partnership would do well. Let klopp finish up with Dortmund.

15. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    I don't understand the whole 'short-term manager' argument. Why would we want it? The summer is perfect for rebuilding - we're getting rid of a lot of old players, supposedly have a pretty decent budget for new players...
    Short-term implies that a manager doesn't have a full control of the team, since he'll be gone relatively soon. You get a manager that brings a bunch of new players, changes your strategy, and yet his main goal is to keep a seat warm for the next guy even if he's done a great job? Makes no sense to me.

16. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    There aren't very many long term options available. Klopp and simeone seem unlikely. Who else is there that has the quality to manage united?

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Correct. It is why Moyes/Woodward cocked up so badly. They inherited a title winning squad. Obviously it was one with clear weaknesses but they had plenty of money and an entire summer to address those problems. They failed. We are luckily still in the position of being able to hand the new manager a large pot of gold to remake the squad in his image with a view to the long-term. We might also have no European distractions during the first season of rebuilding. A short-term option would be a complete waste at this stage and the squad is in no shape to simply tick over with a handful of clear additions. We need an overhaul. It needs to be done properly. We are fortunate to have been given a second chance.

18. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    We have a team now that is perfect for any coach: we're underachieving with current players, about to get rid of a lot of old players (regardless of who comes in), have several promising youngsters, fairly low expectations for next season and funds to spend on transfers. It's not about steadying the sheep, it's about building a new one with some parts from the wreck we have now. You can't really allow a short-term manager do a team overhaul, knowing that in a few seasons you'll have someone else who may want to do another overhaul based on his vision.

johno and benni... repped this.
  19. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Obviously a long term appointment is the best way to go but unless klopp or
    Simeone are available, options are very meh

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So in your eyes, what manager is available that would:

A) Stay with the team through a rebuilding process (roughly 5 years).
    B) Is currently available.
    C) Is competent in motivation, tactics, and is proven at the highest level.

21. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    I can see where you guys are coming from, but I cannot see anyone who is suitable for the gig long-term, available this summer... Klopp is out, Simeone maybe, Blanc has regressed from his promising days at Bordeaux, Ancelotti at Madrid, Mourinho is not dependable enough. Who else is out there and realistically attainable?

Maybe the rumours back in March of a Van Gaal-DeBoer team coming is what happens? A happy medium between the two.

22. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    @MizzouMUFC probably no one (I guess Van Gaal would be closest based on all criteria). But that's not point. If you are hiring someone that is short-term only you can't possibly give him power to fully rebuild the team based on his vision. The only way it could possibly work is if you're in bringing someone like Hiddink and have someone on the staff that's going to take over in a few years learning from him (like Giggs). With any other short-term plan you either don't allow a full rebuild, don't really provide significant funds and full control of squad or you risk having to start over again in a few seasons.

23. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    Do you think Rene M. would be prepared to come back as a #2 to Van Gaal? In theory, they would be a good fit, with both of them coming from Holland and playing attacking football. Van Gaal vould probably choose his own #2, but Rene knows the club and everybody likes to train under him.

24. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    If Van Gaal comes with De Boer I'll take it now. And have De Boer take over things in 3 year time.

25. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do people think Ancelotti has a reasonable chance of getting the sack? Assuming of course that he doesnt win the CL.