Alert: It's only a matter of time...then who?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by JamesA, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who would be your first choice as Moyes replacement?

1. Hiddink

4.5%
  2. Klopp

60.6%
  3. Laudrup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. De Boer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Garcia

3.0%
  6. Martinez

6.1%
  7. Van Gaal

13.6%
  8. Meulensteen

1.5%
  9. Other

10.6%
  1. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So, we've got our Moyes discussion thread, but I wanted to add a thread where we could discuss possible replacements as options.

I've also added a poll for a bit of fun. I've only included those who are either available or likely to be available due to their current situations.

I think it's only a matter of time at this stage. So, assuming Moyes goes this summer, who would be your main choices as a replacement?

johno repped this.
  2. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    if we're going to entertain this hypothetical question... i wouldn't mind simeone. he would bring the best out of the rvp/rooney partnership (feels like they don't even know the other one is on the pitch at the moment) and bring back positive football to united.

3. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Klopp, should have been first choice.

doubletrouble, Dr. Boots and jeff070 repped this.
  4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well, de Boer and van Gaal have actually expressed a PL desire. close between the two but i feel like de Boer would be the better fit especially for a club with long term visions and actual plans of trying to build something

jeff070 repped this.
  5. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Is that a joke Teso?

Regarding de Boer, don't know too much about him. What's his history so far as a coach? Style, pro's, con's?

6. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Does Klopp's stubborness concern you at all? And his apparent lack of pragmatism?

7. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nope, he is actually very adaptable, he actually reminds me most of SAF.

The additonal benefit will perhaps we will look at the German league and snap up players before they are at Bayern or even cut the middle man (like Reus Gundogan etc).

8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well de Boer won the Dutch league but that isn't saying much given the decline of PSV, AZ and Twente in recent years. he does fit the continuity of the intrinsic club playing style and traditions though and to date he hasn't shown any indication of being a club hopper.

the cons: would be lack of managerial experience on the big stage (CL) or top league.

the pros: i guess he actually won titles, has sound knowledge of tactics etc and has a clear idea of how he wants his team to play. he is young as opposed to another name mentioned like Heynckes (not idea why he is brought up since he is retired) so no retirement or short term appointment worry there.

maybe someone else can expand on that further

9. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Almost all would be an improvement on Moyes but Klopp would be my first choice and I can see why he's leading the poll. He fits all the criteria that should be used to select a United manager (unlike the ones that apparently were used, i.e. a nice scottish lad):
    • His teams play high paced, attacking football which suits the United brand
    • He has experience, success, and trophies at the highest levels
    • He has experience working with top class players
    • He has shown that he is a long-term type manager (i.e. not 2 years and bolt), which again suits the United brand
    I have no idea why his recruitment wasn't made a top priority the first time around, unless it really was just that he wasn't British enough, in which case any billion dollar firm striving to be the best in a competitive international marketplace with that sort of mindset deserves failure. Assuming United have learned from that error he should be the top target now and with many of the players who made up his strongest sides now leaving the club plus the fact that he will immediately have the chance to overhaul the squad upon arriving here presumably with the purse strings well loosened by this season's train wreck plus the fact that the pressure will be lessened by following an immense failure rather than Fergie and I think it would be an attractive opportunity for him. Should be feeling him out right now honestly if we have even the first bit of sense.

SyedZada and Invincible repped this.
  10. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    True, missed the point that he probably has done whatever he could with Dortmund and perhaps willing to move on. And perhaps we maybe willing to bring one or two of his players with him (would be expensive) and may take a chance on Gundogan with his back problems ( teams in our position can get top talent when there is a problem with them).

11. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    It almost makes too much sense doesn't it?

12. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Really? That's good to know. I don't know anywhere near as much about the man as you do, but I've heard differing views.

I've heard several claim he actually isn't very adaptable in terms of his setup/system to various oppositions and the situation of each game. Most of the time it works great, but every so often he comes unstuck due to his lack of flexibility. That's what I've heard some claim at least.

I like to idea of having somebody more familiar with the German market. Lot's of good value there compared to our domestic market.

13. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Hmmm. BS ate my post. Test.

Working this time....there's a Guardian article talking about how Moyes has dramatically improved the scouting methods. How we now have white boards (!) and a nerve center (!) and probably computers (!!) and a list of replacement players!!!

Who needs a manager who can coach the existing players when you have WHITE BOARDS? Many of them!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/26/david-moyes-glazer-rebuild-manchester-united

benni... repped this.
  14. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    HAHAHAHA

If we needed computers and a nerve center to identify Luke Shaw....man alive.

benni... repped this.
  15. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He has a dominant playing style but he make changes when neccessary imo and isnt afraid to change it radically. At times he gets stuck so does everybody, he has I think 5 years in management of a good team so he is still learning. Also Dortmund isnt an elite team currently so they cant plan long term with their players.
    Anybody deserves a elite team, its Klopp.

16. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But this is all wishful thinking, we arent sacking Moyes

benni... repped this.
  17. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    #18 Invincible, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    @The Jitty Slitter

I wonder who released that info to the media? It almost seems copied and pasted from a press release from the club itself.

It's such blatant PR damage control.

18. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seriously Vince. It is almost laughable.

19. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So the improved scouting gaves us Fellaini ? Told us about the player of last season (Mata) and what for bargain prices of 70 m.

benni... repped this.
  20. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This press release is actually making me laugh. Literally, it seems like PR 101, first day lesson on damage control.

21. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Well I suppose we couldn't expect them to just sit back and let a witch hunt build against Their Man™. :rolleyes:

22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    no quotes? Mata as a sign of progress? lol. and that's why i don't trust the guardian

as for Klopp, SirM said he was too inflexible and that was toxic for him and the club, to back up the claims James has heard. then again when something is working why change it. if he can adapt again to this Bayern then that should put any of those doubts to bed. although this is a very good Bayern and he has been losing a few key pieces of the squad along the way.

Syed is saying the exact opposite. guess time will tell

23. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Major pieces plus Gundogan has been injured all year.

24. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I'm getting to @The Jitty Slitter levels of paranoia here...it's impossible to believe that the Utd mgmt could be this incompetent, and I'm starting to wonder what a competent coach would find when he checked the books...