It's officially official: Cosmos to play at Hofstra

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by bullsear, Sep 25, 2012.

1. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And until the Cosmos show that they can actually field a competitive team. Right now they have 1 player - an aging Carlos Mendes.

If they have al this money to privately build this stadium, how come they didn't have the money to play a full season? How come they didn't have a ticket distributor ready? They can get stadium renderings but no ticket distributor.

TheJoeGreene and bullsear repped this.
  2. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be true of just about anyone starting up a new club. So what?

I said the "sky is the limit" once you get to mid-century. A dunderhead track record of business management didn't kill MLS. They still haven't proved they can make one cent. It all comes down to one's willingness to lose tons of money. As long as the financing keeps rolling in then any amount of soccer nonsense is realistic and possible from anyone in any division.

The economy has reached a point where people with money will be prepared to throw that money down a rat hole by the ton so they can establish clubs in markets where fans are not being served. It's a race to get established in town before another club can. MLS says that NYC2 won't begin play until 2016 or 2017. Building an expensive stadium in New York but that doesn't mean they know how to put a decent team there or draw New York fans to the park. We've already seen that story in action, haven't we?

3. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All signs before November pointed to Minnesota folding only to then be miraculously saved. Then Puerto Rico's status falls into doubt almost immediately thereafter. These are hardly the sort of business conditions conducive to contract negotiations which require firm dates, such as ticket distribution.

Considering that the Cosmos new ownership took over only six months ago, it's a bit of an achievement for them to field a team at any point in 2013. Do remember that their current plan, even after dropping out of the spring season, is to play their first game almost exactly one year after taking control. That's a very respectable time frame for any new soccer team.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Pigs flying would be awesome as well.;)

These plans come from a club who had to back out of playing a whole season. I will believe it when shovels hit the dirt.

6. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "There is one absurd, fascinating possibility in all of this. I’ll preface it by saying I understand it’ll never happen, while acknowledging that would be amazing if it did. Let’s assume for a second that Seamus O’Brien and the Cosmos aren’t completely full of shit, and actually don’t care whether or not MLS selects them as the 20th franchise. Furthermore, let’s assume Garber and MLS really aren’t that impressed with the Cosmos brand, and decide they won’t be bullied into a fee reduction or a joint stadium venture in Flushing. Now let’s assume both stadiums get built, as proposed. The Cosmos open a 25,000 seater in Belmont, MLS does the same in Flushing, and suddenly the New York metro area has three major professional teams. Maybe the Cosmos brand is strong enough to create some local, then national interest in NASL. Maybe the league survives and additional franchises pop up in regions frustrated by repeated MLS snubs – St. Louis, Miami, etc – and the league becomes a viable alternative to MLS. Push the scenario out 15-20 years. Both leagues are relatively successful, MLS still the bigger league with bigger markets, but NASL is healthy and growing. Isn’t it conceivable that a botched attempt at unification between the Cosmos and MLS in 2013 could lead to a scenario in say 2025-30 where two leagues exist and are healthy enough for American soccer as a whole to consider the possibility of two tiers, with promotion and relegation.​
    Like I said, it’s absurd, but if a European-style tiered system ever takes hold in America it’s going to have to happen organically. MLS can’t just lop off half it’s existing teams, nor can it double it’s membership overnight. In order for tiers to form a viable competitor has to rise up, and then the two leagues will need to see a partnership as mutually beneficial long term. The only way it even seems like a remote possibility is if the Cosmos, America’s strongest soccer brand, lead the charge for NASL. And the only way that’ll happen is if O’Brien and the team are stubborn/crazy enough to build a massive, state of the art stadium in Long Island without a spot in MLS."​

7. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Never. Going. To. Happen.

Clear enough?

No way that both stadiums get built in the first place. That puts your scenario dead in the water. Second, if the Cosmos want to build their brand to be worth much, it will have to be in MLS.

I would also debate if the Cosmos is the strongest American soccer brand anymore. Galaxy certainly can lay claim to that now. Plus, nationwide notoriety for a team that ceased to exist in 1985, doesn't bring streams of greenbacks in 2013 and beyond.

8. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't see that ever happening. I'll bet you $20 that by 2030 one of two things will happen. A.) MLS and NASL merge and a few of the teams become MLS teams or B.) NASL becomes the AAA affiliate league of MLS.

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I have to agree with BluesFan, but I want to say that Cosmos of the ole NASL died in 1984 instead of 1985, am I wrong?

10. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Feb or March 1985 I believe, when there was still some small hope of a NASL 1985 season, with Minnesota, Toronto, and a few others interested parties planning for it. New York Cosmos then announced they were not going to be playing in the 1985 NASL season(Cosmos said instead they would play exhibition and friendlies in 85) and without them it all fell apart.

11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    this one in june 1985 was the last of 3 exhibition games in which the Cosmos lost too much money

Lazio (Italy) at New York Cosmos
    Date: June 16, 1985 Cosmos lost 2-1 Attendance: 8,677
    Goals: Cosmos-Vincenzo D'Amico Lazio-Bruno Giordano, Lionel Manfredonia

12. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Guys, I've looked back on this thread to see when the first game would be. Could any of you help out with that. I don't want season tickets, but I would be going to a good number of games, I guess it'll depend on pricing. How much would we be looking at per person? I been waiting for either MLS or NASL in the area for a long time, finally it might happen. Going to Jersey to see the Red Bulls is not for me, so if its Hofstra, or Queens, or Belmont Park I'm there even if they stink up the joint at first.

13. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The first game for the New York Cosmos in the Fall Season should be in early August, but the schedule hasn't been released yet. Might be released by May I would think. Not sure on pricing.

14. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thanks for the info.

15. modernfootball

Apr 15, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    --other--
  16. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  17. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
  18. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just saw info today that the 2013 Fall schedule will actually be announced by the NASL in about a weeks time.

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question. Since the Cosmos aren't playing in any New York City borough, and have no intention of doing so given their stadium "plan" do the Borough Boys intend to continue supporting them? Or are they going to switch allegiance to MLS 20?

20. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Stadiums themselves are not a money panacea look at the problems Bridgeview is having with Toyota Park.

More to the point, I do question the ceiling of interest in NASL. MLS struggles for relevancy outside of strong attendance and varying attention in respective local markets. NASL is going to be the equivalent of the Arena Football League frankly in terms of interest, you'll see an ad for it on your local tv station but without media rights and a fragmented audience I am skeptical.

21. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes as far as I've heard they're still supporting them, and looking at their facebook page also makes it look like they are.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok so just to be clear the Borough Boys won't be supporting MLS 2o in an actual borough of New York City. Makes sense... :confused:

23. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Never said that, just said they appear to still be supporting them currently, who know's what will happen in the future.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit they probably just hope one of the two pans out, it would suck for them if both the Cosmos plan and the MLS20 plan get shut down by NYC red tape or something.

Until shovels go into the ground, they can never really be sure about any of the teams. (Or until the Cosmos actually plays a game at Hofstra).