It's A Cruel, Cruel Summer - The Summer Transfer Dread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's more Konoplyanka than Yarmolenko who is more a goal scorer. But don't think he is a top level talent.

How about Juan Cuadrado at Fiorentina ? Was linked with a Anderson/Nani swap deal last week. Linked with Liverpool a lot now.

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Which means we'll sign Osman and Coleman instead.

3. Simply Red

Simply Red Member

Feb 15, 2007
    These jokes never get old?

How do you guys rate Shaw compared to Coentrao?

4. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He is a good squad player, I'd swap with Valencia or Young, but the not the one who you would invest in to be potentially world class.

5. TheRedDevil

TheRedDevil Member

May 16, 2012
    Liverpool's Perch
    If the Shaw and Carvalho deals almost being done are true, it's a step in the right direction. Next seal up Klopp, Reus and Kroos, and then I'd be a mildly satisfied muppet :D

6. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Link?

7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Who said we're joking? Last summer when we we're linked with Thiago and Fabregas, everyone "joked" we would end up with Fellaini instead. See how that worked out...

8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I still think we'll lose out to Chelsea in our Shaw pursuit. Carvalho has a lot of smoke behind it but the fee being thrown around is much too high for him.

9. TheRedDevil

TheRedDevil Member

May 16, 2012
    Liverpool's Perch
    Reading some Chelsea forums, the general idea seems that if that £30 million united offer is true, then they won't be able to match, considering they have more important positions to pursue with that amount of dough.

Either way, it will seem every player we will be linked with will have an inflated price this summer, especially with clubs hearing about this alleged £200 million transfer kitty we have available, our evident desperation, and the fact we paid £28 million for some hairy muppet who's better off being a Sesame Street character than a professional footballer.

10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    30 mil is A LOT for a LB but sadly overpaying is standard for any promising English player. He would solve our LB issues for the next 8-10 years and personally, I prefer him to Coentrao, but not at that price. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if when Shaw hears Chelsea are interested that he tells Southampton he only wants to go there. When a player has his heart set on a destination it gives said club a lot of leverage. Take RVP for instance...it was widely reported that City and an Italian club (probably Juve) offered Arsenal more than us but RVP had his heart set on United.

11. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's not Sesame Street quality. His awkward frame and big hair might make him a serviceable Fraggle Rock side character, but a Muppet brand of SS's stature needs to think bigger. Elmo has enjoyed great longevity but he will need to be replaced with quality eventually.

12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
  13. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Shaw has physical attributes. I think he's already 6'0 tall? He's fast, tough, etc

But I haven't seen anything special on the ball. He's par dribbling, not particularly aggressive or adventurous like Coentrao. He doesn't look like he takes players on. His crossing is par. Defensively he looks like he's okay.

What really wows you people about him? There's two or 3 left backs I'd rather have.

14. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Rodriguez?

Futbol_Head repped this.
  15. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He is one.

Does Shaw have and spikes outside of his physical condition?

Even if were talking potential, what is Shaws top 3 attributes apart from the physical?

16. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nationality, hard working, nationality.

johno, cr7torossi, barroldinho and 3 others repped this.
  17. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would take Rodriguez over Shaw for that price. The English inflation will make him hard to sign. But hey, at least Ricardo can take free-kicks... ;)

Any other promising left backs coming through?

18. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Alex Sandro at Porto was mentioned a while back

19. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    There's certainly a tax because he's English, but Shaw's only 18, has been starting for two seasons and is an important cog in a Southampton side that plays little like the typical English side.

20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  21. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Moreno???... Or is he going go Madrid?... 30M is stupid money for Shaw...I certainly hope we are not spending that much on him...

22. Simply Red

Simply Red Member

Feb 15, 2007
    He somewhat reminds of Riise when he played for Liverpool. Very physical and strikes the ball very cleanly. Other than that I find him somewhat average. When pressed on the ball, he seldom does anything that impresses me. If we buy him, I think we'll miss Evra's ability to bring the ball out of defence pretty quickly. However, he is 18, and could of course develop into a proper left back. But I find 30 mill to be too much for him. If we're going to lay low and play counter attacking soccer, I'd rather get Coentrao.

Talking about fullbacks, what do you guys think of Micah Richards in rotation with Rafael? He sometimes reacts to slow on the defensive side, but often makes up for it by being extremely physical. Imo his attacking attributes is pretty good, especially his runs into the opposition box. He's got that Yaya power when he's going at full pace, and he's very hard to stop. I think he would be a far better option than Jones / Smalling as back up fullbacks.

benni... repped this.
  23. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's British and stands out at one of the division's smaller outfits. He exceeds conservative expectations.

Not that he's a bad player but 30m is elite money for a LB and that he certainly is not, nor probably ever will be.

benni... repped this.
  24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    and just fyi the Carvalho money is his buyout clause. no way anyone pays that

benni... repped this.