Italy's final 23 man roster for Brazil 2014...

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by falvo, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Davide13, Rossonero23 and falvo repped this.
  2. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    There is no way that Marchisio is not a lock. What about the story that Cassano is injured and didn't take part in fitness tests. Supposedly sources say that his inclusion in Brazil took a massive hit with that turn of events. And wtf is Romulo doing as a lock.

Diamanti has no one but himself to blame. You don't go to effing China a few months before the World Cup and expect to make Brazil. It just shows a lack of hunger or flippant disregard for making the team.

I'm starting to think the opposite. Prandelli's latest comments seem to indicate that he's extremely unsure of Rossi making the team. In fact, word was that Cassano would only make the team if Rossi couldn't…like it or not Immobile, Destro, and Insigne are all fighting for that last forward spot because Rossi probably won't be fit (how Gila is favored above anyone exasperates me). I think the easy choice is Immobile. Leading goalscorer, comfortable with Cerci, more versatile than Destro, and more likely to come off the bench and score than Insigne. In a perfect world both Immobile and Destro would go…but Gila somehow gets a spot… In fact I would actually start Immobile with Balotelli or with Cerci, since he's been the best forward in Italy by a comfortable margin this year.

Recent quotes seem to suggest no.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Beardi still has to grow. He should be good for the Olympics and Under 21 teams but even though I'd love to see a player from Cosenza make it, I honestly think he needs more time to develop.

4. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I would say that this chart is right on the money with all its odds. I guess Romulo snuck up on me. I had no idea he was so strongly considered. It shows the desperation for quality defensive backs facing Italy right now. Many decent players but no stars (other than De Sciglio's potential).

5. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That chart means very little...Prandelli plays everything close to the chest, he's not giving away any clues that we ourselves don't already know...

Anyways, another Cesare quote that I like:

“The younger players have in recent weeks emerged from their shells, convinced many doubters and proved they can handle the pressure."

I think Immobile is in. Cerci too probably.

Prandelli seems pessimistic about Rossi's condition, but wants him in the starting XI. Lets hope he can get to full form by then.

6. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Coach was also asked about his tactical choices for the tournament in Brazil.

“We have some ideas, but they need to be accompanied by something concrete. We want to get the best out of our characteristics. The quality of our midfield can be an extra weapon.
    “Obviously the League gives you teams who have played in the same way from the start of the season. As for the Nazionale, we must try to make the most of those characteristics, remembering our tactic will above all focus on the quality of the midfield.
    “That means finding balance, but above all character and a strong personality in a World Cup.”

-football italia

7. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Rossi should stay home. Why rush things with him for ?

8. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Rush things? This is the World Cup...are we preparing for something else?

And Totti 2006....

wm72 repped this.
  9. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Veratti is overrated by most fans and media at the moment. He has the potential to become something but he isn't what the NT needs at the moment.

10. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Rossi is not Totti and gambling isnt worth a players career. The guy could tear his ASL again.

whill4 and La Magica repped this.
  11. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Couldn't disagree more. Its total short sightedness to not bring him. He should be brought along to gain experience as he will eventually lead midfield plus he is ready to play some part. He has been involved in some massive games over the last 2 years.

12. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I agree. Rossi playing the World Cup is cutting it close. If he's not 100%, what is the point. With Cassano not the fittest guy in the world, we can't take both IMO. Rossi got hurt and didn't make it back soon enough…take Cassano and lets move on.

I'm fine with De Rossi, Pirlo, Marchisio, Motta, Candreva, Parolo, and Montolivo (not really, but he's going) as our core 7. I know Parolo is borderline, but I would take him. Verratti should be number 8 if Prandelli decides on that number of midfielders instead of defenders.

No his career is more important.

13. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm sure Rossi would be flattered by reading how concerned you guys are about his career, but I'm pretty sure he wants to play in the World Cup and he'll do everything to get there

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I thought Diamanti was almost given a guarantee in January by Prandelli before he left for China?

15. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    It's a message, Diamanti sleeps with the fishes.

[​IMG]

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sushi is Japanese not Chinese....;)

17. Davide13

Davide13 Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Biggest thing to note from that list is that Mattia Destro is not going to the World Cup. Prandelli may choose only 5 forwards and there are 6 players ahead of Destro.

Berardi has a better chance than Osvaldo? Nonsense. Darmian has just as much chance as Maggio and Abate? Also nonsense.

Romulo has had a great season but I must admit I never considered him for the NT for obvious reasons. He could be Italy's answer to their wing back issues - at least on one side.

Scuffet vs Perin - your thoughts.

Really hope Giaccherini doesn't go. He doesn't deserve it much like Osvaldo - they have both contributed to the NT but as of now they do not merit a spot.

Any chance that they overestimated Gilardino? I know Cesare loves him but don't forget that he didn't go to Euro 2012. Was he injured?

Man that final squad will be interesting. Good players are going to miss out. Insigne, Diamanti, Florenzi, Verratti, Parolo hmmmm.

My team from those players listed:

Buffon Sirigu Scuffet
    Barzagli Bonucci Chiellini Paletta DeSciglio Romulo Pasqual
    Pirlo Candreva DeRossi Marchisio Verratti Florenzi Parolo
    Balotelli Cerci Immobile Destro Cassano Rossi

Is it evident that I dont like Motta and Montolivo?

I am not convinced by Criscito. Heh maybe Pasqual can be Italy's Grosso this year.

I would take Rossi even if he is not fit for the England game. He is important. If he cannot make the tournament Insigne.

Lot of quality in that chart. I think Italy can win this thing.

18. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Not that I necessarily agree or disagree with the selections but I'm not so sure Candreva is 100%; Abate is 25%; and Gila is 100%. I understand Gila is a favorite, but he is not so indispensable that we could not fathom him not selected.

19. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I can't imagine Candreva not being on the squad

20. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I agree with this 100%. I'm somewhat surprised so many people on this board are lukewarm over Candreva. He's a fantastic player who has kept Lazio high up on the Serie A table. I guess all the Roma fans are angling for Florenzi instead... and harbor that intense club loyalty.

Unless Prandelli actually told these people who he's taking, any selection can be debated in terms of percentage. Prandelli did say that 18 people are already on the team, with 5 spots up for grabs. I think its clear that at this point Candreva is almost certainly going. He started against Spain, was selected in the Confederations Cup, plays on the wing, and has had a great season at Lazio…the evidence seems overwhelmingly in his favor.

We know the third goalkeeper spot is still up for grabs, one or two forward spots, at least one full back position, and one last midfielder. Candreva has cleared all hurdles from the looks of it.

21. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree that Candreva will most probably be included in the final XIII.

He had a breakout tournament for the Azzurri in Euro'12 and ever since then he has been a part of the set-up solidly participating in WC qualifiers and the Confeds. His club form also has been good enough to warrant his continued selection.

The only doubt I have is that I wonder if perhaps including Cerci and Candreva is perhaps a bit redundant. At club level Cerci tends to play as a RFW whereas Candreva plays generally as a RWM who can also play as a RFW. However when Candreva goes out for Prandelli its generally always as a RFW. I don't think the defensive side of Candreva's game is strong enough for him to play wide mid (neither is his offensive game strong enough that his defense doesn't matter) at the top class international level. That is why for instance I don't think you would ever see Candreva (RWM) and Cerci (RFW) both on the right at the same time and also why Candreva never gets the wide mid job in the 3-5-2.

22. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Candreva wasn't on the euro 2012 squad

totti fan repped this.
  23. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  24. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Yep he wasn't. He was in the confed last year.

25. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Prandelli could decide to start them on the wings. They can both play on the left if need be, though the right is where they both prefer to lineup. He did it with Spain and the results were mixed, but not terrible. I guess Prandelli can also play Cerci as support forward and then have Candreva RWM.

There are a bunch of possibilities including having them both come off the bench depending on tactics when needed. I would say the likelihood is that Cerci will probably come off the bench anyway to start the tournament (especially if Rossi is fit, and even if Cassano is selected). The same can be said for Candreva also….I think you take both of them, as they can be slotted in multiple roles and are both entering their "Italian" prime of 26 and 27 respectively. Not to mention they have played exceptionally well for their respective clubs.