Italy vs. Nigeria Friendly - November 18,2013

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by OldLady, Nov 18, 2013.

1. joe83

joe83 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    LoL, well at this point, it seems as though Prandelli has invested a ton of playing time with Monto, it would be unrealistic to see him choose anyone else to replace Pirlo. I'd love to see Verratti show his stuff but he doesnt have much time as the WC is getting pretty close!

2. FORZA NAPOLI <3

FORZA NAPOLI <3 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Relax lol Mario doesn't care he will score 12 goals at the world cup

3. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow Diamanti had a cracker for the Azzurri in this one. Whatever stuff he was sniffing before the game I recommend he incorporate into his regular training regimen from now on. Best game he has played for Azzurri ever, very unlucky not to score.

4. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    it was the crack.

5. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Falc...Not sure what game you were watching. The defenders...especially our terzini...were horrible against Nigeria. On the first goal Maggio might as well sit down and invite the cross. Pasqual was BADLY beaten on the header there. Then on the second goal, Maggio failed to account for the overlap and allow a free cross deep into the box. It was a great goal but that cross should have been contested.

We can blame Prandelli all we want, but he is not in charge of every youth system in Italy now which is failing to produce world class terzini. Maggio and Pasqual are a joke, but it doesn't get much better from there. Cesare simply does not have the talent on D that past Italian CTs had. There is no way to argue otherwise.

Could he do more to create more sound defensive tactics? Absolutely. But in the end, terzini have to stop crosses and defenders can't get beat one-on-one with headers. It's basic.

Free Sempre X and metallicaband repped this.
  6. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Fullbacks have become attacking players now none of them know how to defend anymore.

FORZA NAPOLI <3 repped this.
  7. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Maggio has received more than my fair share of criticism during and after the match. As I stated on the first goal, the only thing he could have done more was to make the cross himself. Of course, it would have been off target. But he just observed his mark run by on that play. The second goal he takes blame but the real culprit was Candreva who gave up the ball right at midfield. The Nigerians made a quick counter and then goal.

But we were fortunate that the Nigerians were off target and when they were not, Sirigu came up big. Those chances happened because our midfield gave up too much space and were poor in keeping possession. In the old days, maybe the likes of Cannavaro, Nesta, Maldini, Baresi could have covered for those errors. Then again, the midfielders did not make them like the other day.

8. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maggio is often wasteful he makes good runs gets into good positions but mostly his delivery is poor. Although he did create a good chance for Balo in the 2nd half.

On the first goal it was a clear push in Pasqual's back and should have been disallowed.
    On the second he was in front of Candreva in position to receive a forward pass and was badly caught out when Candreva was dispossessed.

Nothwithstanding I wouldn't pick him in a back 4 against good opposition, he plays well wide in a 3-5-2 because he has less defensive duties which is his biggest weakness playing as a defender in a back 4.

9. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    You know that. I know that. I would say that everyone that posts around here knows that. How is it that Prandelli does not get it?

10. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I want to be optimistic and believe that he's just fkcing with everyone, just giving everyone the false impression he's clueless and when game time comes, Maggio is only ever used in 3cb defense and only if no one else is available. Otherwise he's there to cheer and help serve the pasta after training.

11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    My theory is that he thinks too much. He is another Sacchi. Scares the shit out of me. We had the most talented side in 94 yet, hardly saw it. The one match was the semi against Bulgaria. Other than that, individual greatness, usually by Baggio.

My biggest complaint about Prandelli is that he too often adjusts for the other side. Tactics taking account of the opponent should always be considered but if you are the better side, you need to play your game and make them change. We seem to allow the tactics of the other side dictate what we do.

metallicaband and FORZA NAPOLI <3 repped this.
  12. Free Sempre X

Free Sempre X Member

Nov 3, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I question the idea that Prandelli considers Maggio his first-choice terzino destro. Where do you get that notion?

13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I failed to be clear. I'm saying that if he must use Maggio, its only in a 3 man defense system, though not him as CB, per se, but on the right wing and only if there are no other options.

" Maggio is only ever used in 3cb defense and only if no one else is available"

14. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Or it may be that he decided to give him one last chance to see how he would perform in a back 4, because after all this was just a friendly and there were a lot changes from that Germany match signifying that it wasn't our best XI.

Hard to replace him in a 3-5-2 system though, but is it enough to earn him a plane ticket to Brazil.