Italy vs. Nigeria Friendly - November 18,2013

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by OldLady, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    We've heard that often enough in his brief Azzurri career.

2. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sounds Like a typical Italy friendly

3. forza 4zA

forza 4zA Member+

Jul 9, 2013
    East Coast US
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We will win world cup 2014

4. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    We could if Prandelli does not screw it up like he did in the EC final. If we meet Argentina in the semi, it is guaranteed.

5. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maggio is done he should of been called up during the 2008 euros or something.

6. forza 4zA

forza 4zA Member+

Jul 9, 2013
    East Coast US
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ec finale we were dead on our feet with injuries and we had zero attack (balo was out of form)

7. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    And who takes blame for poor man management on that one?

8. Free Sempre X

Free Sempre X Member

Nov 3, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a good match, if nothing else from the point of view of entertainment.

Positives: Sirigu was solid. Good to know we have him if Buffon for any reason can't play next summer. Rossi and Balotelli worked well, too, upfront. On a better day Balotelli would have had three goals, he got into good scoring positions. He's just a little cursed at the moment. I think this game also showed that Italy's "B" midfield has promise. Candreva, Giaccherini, Cerci, Diamanti all have a useful role to play. Maybe Poli too.

Negatives: we're hurting for defensive depth, and Prandelli has been focusing too little on the defensive organization of the team. Sometimes we don't even foul -- it's reckless. I don't think any of Ranocchia, Ogbonna, Maggio, or Pasqual can be relied on defensively, or certainly not without the likes of Chiellini, Barzagli, De Rossi, Criscito around them to cover. This has to be addressed in 2014.

One last thing: the athletic condition of the Azzurri today was quite incredible -- we actually played at a higher tempo than Nigeria and seemed the much fitter team. That was a surprise. Not everyone agrees with me, but this really is a different Azzurri from in years past ...

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  9. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Falc and I go a long way back, but I think he's too hard on Cesare. I've had my criticisms of Prandelli in the past. But, he mostly gets it. He understands the modern game has to be about possession. I, too, wish our defense could get sorted in 5 months...but we don't have Nesta, Cannavaro, and Zambrotta on this team. He just doesn't have the defensive talent we had years ago. He has got to find a way to compensate for that because we can't have this leaky D in Brazil. Maggio and Pasqual suck....but we can't keep making excuses. We leaked too many goals at the Confed Cup and we've leaked a lot the last few games. He's got to find a way to protect the D more because they don't have elite talent back there.

By the way, if Prandelli can fix this D, we can go really far. Balotelli and Rossi are as close to a perfect striking pair as you can get. They both compliment each other perfectly. They constantly are on the move leaving very little point of reference for the defense and they constantly threaten to get behind the last line with their speed and quickness. This team could put up a lot of goals in Brazil.

FORZA AZZURRI

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  10. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    His problem defensively is at midfield. Too much space is given in the middle of the pitch. Playing stiffs like Maggio & Montolivo does not help matters. Candreva & Giaccherini are not defensive. The defenders did well today.

11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    And speaking of modern game, I'm watching the replay as I write. What possession game did we play today? We played run & gun.

12. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Prandelli's refusal to drop Montolivo sums up his legacy.
    If he grows the balls to do it, Italy has a chance, because it means Prandelli can in fact see reality.
    If he keeps pretending, Italy is doomed.

13. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    No, I didn't. If I had been, my laptop would've been thrown out the window. But I refused to watch after I saw Ogbonna in the starting 11.

Just serves to reinforce how much I despise Prandelli.

14. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Parolo "I saw a figure looming behind me and thought I was anticipating a Nigerian defender, but afterwards I turned round and realized it was Mario!"

15. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We will be OK for next summer. We didn't have our complete A team on defence and midfield.
    We got a result from a high flying in form Nigerian team. We haven't played a meaningful game in quite some time as this qualifying group barely gave us any scare. I still think Prandelli is playing possum and is not exposing our full squad.

Daei_10 repped this.
  16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Not to burst your bubble, but Nigeria played a continental qualifier 2 days prior to this game in Nigeria (so not only did they have just one day rest, they also had a 6-7 hour flight back to England). Mikel and Onazi, the midfield engine pairing, were evidently bushed. Commenting on fitness given the circumstances is sort of a moot point (however Italy did look very energetic).

Overall however agree with your assessment.

17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Sorry for my ignorance, but is Angelo Ogbonna's brother? I don't recall anynome named Ogbonna ever playing for Nigeria.

18. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Also factor in that only three players started against Nigeria who played against Germany.

19. filippomo

filippomo Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Club:
    Modena FC
    The big problem is still in the fullback. 4 played in 2 games and none of them is at an adequate level for being a starter in a world cup. Pasqual and Maggio defending yesterday was a shame. We had 2 (or 3) regular starters in the team, the other (including those who entered during the match) showed they are just sub (Ranocchia, Ogbonna, Sirigu) or "situation" players (Motta, Poli, Giaccherini, Cerci, Diamanti). This friendly, in the end, proved to be useless, but for the testing of the Balotelli-Rossi couple.

20. Free Sempre X

Free Sempre X Member

Nov 3, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had 58% possession with a generally "B" midfield. That is not bad as far as possession games go. But I'm guessing facts are useless for you -- you hate Prandelli and refuse to give him any credit.

21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Did you watch the game or read about it? Tell us how Nigeria's second goal was scored. How many minutes did that 58% represent? We ran well. We were also exposed very well. As easily we could have won this match by 3 goals, the exact opposite is true as well.

22. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    its because they are deemed good players thats why they cry "boo hoo they should be playing for ghana wah wah", if they were shit they would not cry about it simple as that

RACIST! word!

23. joe83

joe83 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I agree with you on Maggio but I think Montolivo still brings something to the table. Im my opinion, he's Pirlos best replacement right now if (god forbid) he gets injured during the tournament.

Monto isnt the best, but he's far from the worst, his long range passing is pretty good, he's decent with the ball at his feet and he's got lungs of steel, all over the pitch. He's definitely soft on defense but I still think he has a role in this team. Considering Pirlos defense is pretty much non-existent, we can't expect Monto to be an excellent defender. Leave that up to Marchisio and Derossi....

Also,just wanted to say I'm glad Prandelli finally got the hint with Aquilani..........

24. metallicaband

metallicaband Member

Jun 11, 2004
    If Pirlo was replaced by Montolivo, we might as well just save our time and don't watch the WC because we know what's going to happen anyway.

25. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    You just had to ruin things, didn't you!