Italy vs. Netherlands friendly - 06-02-2013

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Feb 5, 2013.

?

Will Netherlands beat Italy in this friendly?

Poll closed Feb 7, 2013.
  1. Yes easily, because van Gaal is the best coach in the world.

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Yes, but with a small margin and it will be a tough game.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. No, this has a draw written all over it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, It will be a tight loss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, Netherlands will get a beating as Italian upcoming youth is the best in the world.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Me too. Much better then I expected.

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maher was in the right place at the right time for each shot but that's all that can be said. The first Buffon save was excellent the 2nd routine. Agree with DRB that otherwise he has done nothing of note.

3. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Van Persie on the bright side was very good. Which is nice.
    Excited to see de Guzman coming on, wish we could see how he'd do with vPersie.

4. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I agree but I'd argue that Maher's role in this game is not to orchestrate. He's playing a very advanced role, helping link up play between midfield and attack and also having freedom to float in and around the box to play his teammates in and also pop into the space in the box to have shooting opportunities. Thought he did all of that well.

5. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't find Maher as bad as you make him out to be DRB. He had some good control in accepting passes, found space in tight areas and had some good passes. Messed up enough as well obviously.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Negative comments about Ola make me conclude that he's lucky to be at Benfica. At least the Portugese give their youngsters time to develop.

Pirlo is by far the best man on the pitch. Second is Van Persie. And by god we need a decent left back soon.

The Italians clearly aren't trying and our qualifying group is very weak so unfortunately it's a long way off before the Dutch population at large get a reality check.

On the plus side Van Persie seems to have a good understanding with Maher, Krul is doing well, as is BMI.

7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ahahaha, Robben and his right foot. Searching for left, searching for left, searching for left ..... damn can't find.

8. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Unlike Twente obviously.

9. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maybe I focus too much on him. Or expect more of him. I think it is that I often point to the weak point in his game at AZ and everybody talking over it. His unsuccessful delivery completion I mean by that. He sees the opportunity, but he messes up so often the perfect delivery, also the easy ones.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Obviously Benfica paid 9 million for John because he is a naturally gifted footballer who learnt nothing from his seven years at the frankly rubbish Twente youth academy. What a lot of undoing they have to do over there in Portugal.

11. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Did you see how Lens was tracking back to help out Janmaat? Blind could have used that kind of help from Ola.

DRB300 repped this.
  12. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Has control in midfield dropped since Clasie is taken off?;)

13. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Do you even read what people say. Not going to bother with you this time.

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Do you think Blind would get to blame his left winger for failing to help him out at an elite club?

15. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bad debut for Ola. Wish him good luck improving at Benfica.

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    As ever you were trying to slag off Twente. That's getting old. The Twente youth academy managed to produce a two-footed left winger good enough for Benfica. Ask yourself when the last time was that Ajax did that.

17. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I don't think it's Blind's responsibility to cover Abate. If it's a quick counter then ok I get it maybe Ola is out of position to help out...but there were like 3-4 consecutive moments when Abate was sitting in miles of empty space out with nothing but time to get in crosses from the right side with Ola nowhere to be seen.

18. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    De Vrij is good. ​

19. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    De Vrij also profits from the wet field. He makes those body movements all the time tricking attackers all the time and when they adjust they often slip, giving him time.

20. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Unbelievable the difference. Now were back to sprinting from one box to the other like headless chickens.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Ola had a nightmare of a game. You won't hear me deny that. I'm not really sure why you think that makes up for Blind's weaknesses though. Note that I don't think Blind is a bad footballer. To Dutch league standards, he's pretty good, and he's having a very good season domestically. I just don't think he has international quality.

22. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That moment there. Low handling speed Maher in 16 and a bad pass on Kuyt. Bit too hard for my liking. Not to nitpick, but to point out what annoys me.

23. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I see future for De Vrij in Oranje. He's not nearly as dumb as he looks. And got a lot of confidence on the ball. Martins Indi I'm less excited about.

24. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think I agree :)

25. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bad chest control Maher, took too much time to bring it down and shoot.