Italy internationals Stock Watch Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Sempre, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    If that's the case then a lot of old guys will be getting selected.

2. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think Morgan De Sanctis should replace Buffon. I remember distinctly some Napoli supporters whinging about De Sanctis not getting a chance and how rubbish Buffon was/is. I think he should get his chance now. Especially after his magnificent display against Roma over the weekend.

3. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Buffon was in garbage form and if it had continued someone else should of been used as number one goalkeeper but as of now it seems he has gotten back to where he used to be great for him.

Does not mean you should knockdown another goalkeeper who is also great.

4. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    You're right. Buffon should've been replaced. But I disagree. I think he should still be replaced regardless of form. I don't see the point of having my players risk injury and expend energy for a team whose supporters usually hate them for 365 days out of the year unless some stupid international tournament is taking place that summer. I hope the likes of Miccoli, De Sanctis, Paolo Cannavaro, Rannochia, Abate, and Nocerino are called up. It will be immensely entertaining when Spain wipes the floor with them.

Oh, please. People knockdown Juve players all the time. It's just a difference of opinion and turnaround is fair play.

If you think De Sanctis is great, then you're either a very generous person or your definition of the word is very broad, perhaps both. He's mediocre and always has been... as he showed over the weekend and many times throughout this season.

sempreITALIA repped this.
  5. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    so did you watch the Palermo game ? or what he did with us last season or the season before that. if Buffon played behind our D he would even struggle a goalkeeper is about as good as his D...

This season he hasn't been so great but he is a great goalkeeper much better than most goalkeepers in italy.

6. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So what? You yourself made a flippant comment a few pages back about how Serie A was in precipitous decline. But in this case, I'm supposed to make an exception and be impressed?

7. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It is in decline and im sure almost everyone agrees... you dont even care about the National team if anything I would think you would be happy to see one less juve player on it.

8. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC

It is, I agree... highlighted by the fact that goalkeepers like De Sanctis and Abbiatti can be starters for two of the biggest clubs in the country and at times be considered "great".

And indeed, it would make very happy if no Juve players were called up for the Italian NT, for reasons I stated above. I just dislike it when double standards are applied to my players. You made a point in saying Gigi's form was garbage when he was struggling with injury yet you give De Sanctis a pass, saying "if Buffon played behind our D he would even struggle a goalkeeper is about as good as his D...". Well, the defense in front of Gigi had been absolute shite until this year but that was never taken into consideration by the plebs who were baying for him to be dropped, despite the fact that his form for the Azzurri was excellent (example: his immense performance against Cyprus). He struggled for a time when the entire club was in free fall, and suddenly, the best goalkeeper of his generation, a man who'd made a crucial contribution to the victory in 2006, should be dropped for a mediocrity like De Sanctis because of a brief spell of form.

It's this hypocritical, unappreciative nonsense that makes me hate the Azzurri. This team and its fickle supporters are, quite frankly, unworthy of a player of Buffon's character and quality.

9. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont know what league u guys watch but i think serie A goal keepers are all in fine form this season. I have seen many of them perform well with juve pressuring them. Even the small clubs have some good goalies.

10. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here is the thing players can turn down being called up but they choose not to.

There are double standards for every team not just juve it just so happens most people dislike juve on here just like how most people hate Napoli, Roma etc...

At the end of the day Italy even with its low talent pool of goalkeepers as of late still produces better goalkeepers than most other countries which is why we have high standard for the position unlike other teams/countries...

11. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Not really since Nesta and Totti are retired from the national team, while guys like Zambrotta, Gattuso, Cannavaro etc. are clearly past their best.

12. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It would be a good idea to update this thread. This season, 2012-2013, looks like it will be the best one for Italians in both Serie A and the Champions League in a long time. Not only are Serie A clubs playing more young Italians than in previous seasons, teams like Juventus and Milan will feature mostly Italian starting XIs in the Champions League. Juventus drew last season's champions, Chelsea, 2-2 at Stamford Bridge yesterday.

The big movers and shakers, by team:

PSG: Marco Verratti. Fabulous player--midfield maestro at 19. Sirigu looks good at 'keeper, Motta also getting some playing time.

Juventus: Pirlo is not at his best--he seems tired. But Juve are a team on the up, and Buffon, Chiellini, Barzagli, and Marchisio are emerging as consistently excellent Italian performers on the team. I'm less sold on Bonucci.

Napoli: Insigne very much on the rise. I'm far less sure of Maggio.

Milan: Disastrous season. Everyone has looked bad--Nocerino, Abate, Montolivo. Perhaps DeSciglio and Acerbi can be single out as better performers in this campaign. Jury is out on Pazzini.

Roma: Strong Italian contingent here, all pretty much on the up under Zeman: Destro, Florenzi, De Rossi, Osvaldo, Balzaretti.

Liverpool: Borini struggling mightily at Liverpool. Not sure if he'll make it.

Newcastle: Santon having a good season. Why won't Prandelli call him?

Man. City: Mario Balotelli is regressing from last season. Too much smoking and partying, not enough goals. He seems to be in hot water with Mancini. Needs to be careful.

Immobile also looks to be having a good season.

metallicaband and Daei_10 repped this.
  13. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ good summary

i think borini needs some time, hopefully the coach is a bit patient cuz he liked him from the swansea days....he is in sort of a new league cuz in the chelsea days he rarely played cuz he was too young, and swansea was 2nd division...and liverpool as a whole is struggling, hopefully he keeps getting chances to prove himself. This new age of giving such limited time and expecting miracles is damaging football

14. metallicaband

metallicaband Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Great post Sempre.

I'm really afraid Balotelli would be the next Adriano, immense talent but just can't get his act together and understand what he has to sacrifice to be a successful professional football player, would be such a waste if that happened.

15. Gianluca511

Gianluca511 Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Hopefully Balotelli plays up to his abilities in the future.

16. Scorp redded

Scorp redded Red Card

Jul 14, 2012
  17. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Of course he did.
    I wish Giovinco was more like Miccoli.

18. Scorp redded

Scorp redded Red Card

Jul 14, 2012
    He needs to eat more pasta fagioli.

19. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    CHrist almighty I'm hoping that Gilardino doesn't manage to wiggle his way back onto the NT again. I'm not at all fooled by his good form to start the season. I'd take any one of Balo, Osvaldo, or Pazzini over him in a heart beat.

el napulitan and Daei_10 repped this.
  20. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    I'd take Pozzi over Gilardino.
    I'd take Luca Toni.
    I'd take an azzurri jersey draped over a urinal, wheeled out onto the field on a handtruck, before Gilardino.
    He is the most ********ing hateable player in Italian history. An absolute shitbag.

jerrito repped this.
  21. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Nah, my vote still goes to Iaquinta in that regard.

22. Scorp redded

Scorp redded Red Card

Jul 14, 2012
    If you want to talk pieces of real shit and not just bad players, Cassano takes the cake. The dude abused drugs, hookers and was a complete cock to everyone around him, so much that so Totti, a real champion, who once was like a brother to him, refused to be on the same national team as that bastard. Then he gets cocaine induced Ischemic based cerebral damage and everyone falls this son of a bitch's total bullshit. Of course it all ends badly thanks to his ego not wanting to sit on the substitution bench and now all of us have a nice record loss to ponder on thanks to him.

23. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    SHUT YOUR ********ING MOUTH!
    NOBODY TALKS ABOUT CASSANO THAT WAY!

24. Scorp redded

Scorp redded Red Card

Jul 14, 2012
    You mean the truth? I guess not. Everyone is still in denial after that bad loss.

25. Scorp redded

Scorp redded Red Card

Jul 14, 2012
    Stock Dropping: Giovinco, Cassano, (both played like garbage during Juve-Inter) & Balotelli (In the doghouse w/Mancini after missing a complete sitter)

Stock Rising: ... Nobody really. Now that Inter have broken Juve's invincibility are are only one point back, we might to see the foreigners start dominating again. Hopefully not though!