Italy internationals Stock Watch Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Sempre, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Their left backs suck so bad that Chiellini became their best option.

2. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we had ziegler which conte didnt like so they loaned him out...grosso is old and good offensively, but not so much defensively. De celige hasnt turned out as good as we hoped and he gets injured too many times...so yea we're left with chiellini....which i believe he originally started his career as LB, not sure

3. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Update through 10/29.

This is a good year for Italian footballers, several of whom are starting to play very well at a high level.

Balotelli, Giovinco, and Marchisio stand out for me as three Italian internationals who have been brilliant for their teams.

Pirlo, Maggio, De Rossi, Nocerino, Aquilani, Cassano, and De Sanctis have been in good form their clubs. Bonucci has been improving and Buffon has been steady.

One pleasing development is a rebirth of Italian wingers: Cerci for Fiorentina and Giaccherini for Juventus have shown some good things this season. They might be worth a look from Prandelli.

On the negative side, Montolivo is not having the best year for Fiorentina; Rossi has just injured his knee (out for six months) and he is a doubt for Euro '12. Ranocchia has been variously injured or in shaky form. He needs to be careful to get back in Inter's starting team. Pazzini has been Ok, though not brilliant, in his role as striker.

Chiellini is another question mark. He is now at left-back for Juventus but he is not having a world-class season. It is a bad sign that Italy do not have a settled back line; Prandelli will probably select his central defense after seeing what sort of form Bonucci and Ranocchia are in as we approach the finals. If Euro 2012 were to start tomorrow, this would be my starting XI based on form this season but also experience levels.

Cassano -- Balotelli

Montolivo -- Pirlo -- De Rossi -- Marchisio

Criscito -- Ranocchia -- Chiellini -- Maggio

Buffon

As subs, I'd bring in Cerci, Aquilani, Giovinco, or Pazzini to refresh the attack, while Nocerino or Cassani might present solid defensive cover.

Right now Italy have a lot of options, though the central defense and lack of width from full-backs remain two troubling spots. Ironically, the player Italy probably need the most is 35: Alessandro Nesta. What a season he's having.

4. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ^^You left out Matri. He's been finding the net every other game, on average. Even in games when he doesn't score, he's constantly dangerous. I know it'll be tough for him to get significant time ahead of Cassano, Balotelli, etc., but Matri on the Azzurri bench is reassuring; he has shown he has a nose for goal.

5. turco3

turco3 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Yea, Matri is better than Pazzini all day

6. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Don't count out Osvaldo yet either, as he's been featuring regularly now in Enrique's starting 11 and has been putting up solid numbers in spite of a slow start. Oh, and I also think that people really need to stop overlooking Di Natale's efforts. I know it's common practice for us to ignore older players due to their age, but in all fairness the guy really does deserve to have his name thrown into the mix of Euro hopefuls at this point. If either one of Rossi or Cassano isn't able to participate, then Di Natale is my first choice to fill the void.

It is also nice to see that our midfield options have been playing some excellent football thus far, particularly guys like Marchisio, Pirlo, Giovinco, De Rossi, Aquilani, Nocerino, and the dark horse Cerci. Here's to hoping that Cerci's efforts do not go unnoticed by Prandelli, as he is probably the best natural winger that we've had available since Camoranesi.

7. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Chiellini played LB with Fiorentina. Personally I've always felt he's looked better in that role than at CB.

8. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Chiellini has played more than half his career at LB. He didnt play CB until half way thru 06-07 when Deschamps moved him there because of injuries but at the start of the next year under Ranieri he was back at LB until Andrade got injured and Totti burned Criscito. Been at CB since now but he was a LB at Livorno when Juve bought him and loaned him to Fiorentina.

9. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I disagree. Chiellini has no business playing left back, at least not the way it is played in the modern game. Firstly, he is absolutely clueless when he has the ball far up the flank. He often looks clumsy, confused and just looks for a square pass to make to get rid of the ball. Forget him crossing or taking on defenders. In addition, he looks worse defensively. He has put in a couple of successive games at LB where he has been the cause (at least partially) of a goal conceded. He does not track back often enough, leaving the opposing right forward unmarked. Alternatively, he has a tendency to drift towards the center (where I think is his natural playing position now) and lose his marker.

A big N-O to Chiellini at LB.

10. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The guy does the same thing as a CB....

11. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    With us, at least, he was a kick-azzed defensive LB. If I recall he led Serie A in successful tackles and he was just a kid and all while we were systematically raped the entire season and ended up cheating our way into a tie for 18th place to avoid relegation.

Anyway, nothing wrong with a great defensive LB as long as Maggio is RB.

12. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Does the same thing? How do you figure? A CB is not expected to contribute as much to the attack with regard to crossing, etc. In addition, I think he is much more solid as a marker as a CB; his mistakes have been much more frequent when he's been played out on the left flank.

13. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    to me he always looks awkward i give him one thing he is great in the box for corners.

14. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was talking about looking awkward in the attacking phase of the game, not as a defender. Chiellini's probably been Italy's best CB since 2008. Which is hilarious when thinking about Italy's former CBs :rolleyes:

15. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ya he doesn't hold a candle to those guys! i dont know he looks like an idiot to me in every aspect of his game but that just my opinion of him and yours if different from mine so i will respect that.

16. bebo

bebo Red Card

Nov 7, 2011
    awesome thread

17. secretariat89

secretariat89 Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Portsmouth, NH
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Rumors from Fiorentina camp last few days says new allenatore Delio Rossi has called up Michele Camporese to start alongside Gamberini in today's match against AC Milan.

Also, Claudio Ranieri included Andrea Poli in a 21-men team to face Cagliari today. Possibly starting in place of Alvarez/Obi in the left side of the midfield.

FORZA CALCIO & AZZURRI!!

18. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    People always give him grief, but Pepe has been on the ^^^^ with Juve as of late. Still, the point has been brought up before.. where does he figure in Prandelli's tactics?

19. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Well at the moment we don't play wingers, but if we do want to play wingers then it is useful to have someone like him in the squad.

20. secretariat89

secretariat89 Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Portsmouth, NH
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You know these Serie A coaches are starting to piss me off. There are so many Italian youngsters who could have made the list for 2012 EURO if they had given a chance to begin with. I just don't understand coaches such as Ranieri, Cosmi, Delio Rossi, Pasquale Marino. I mean they are Italian, why do they favor foreign talents instead of those of Italian blood??

Ranieri is playing Lucio and Samuel instead of playing Ranocchia/Stankovic instead of Poli/Obi instead of Faraoni, Delio Rossi is playing a 3 man defense in Florence but Michele Camporese who sparked Fiorentina last campaign is not part of it instead he has given Nastasic who just got here during summer 6 straight starts, and after the 5-2 debacle of Palermo, Marino benched Mario Sampirisi instead of Granqvist who was in fault for at least 3 of the 5 goals, and finally Cantaluono benches Gabbiadini for Denis?? Denis was in great form at the beginning of the season, but now he sucks..lets play Gabbiadini and he benches Bonaventura for Carmona..let's hope with the departure of Padoin, Bonaventura can play every game now.

FIGC..WAKE THE F UP!! DO SOMETHING. ARRIGO SACCHI, ROBERTO BAGGIO, & ABATE let's get to work!! Limit the foreign players entering the league during transfers and implement the 6-5 rule would be great. Creating a u21 team in the serie B would be nice also.

21. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Miccoli ^^^ an arrow for every goal he scored against Inter! :eek:

22. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Miccoli, Di Natale, Giovinco, Borini ---- all super today.

23. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    With Cassano out, Di Natale is as good as there in my opinion. He's just been too damn good to overlook him.

24. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Update 2/7/12. Only four months from Euro 2012!

Italian players in positive campaigns: Buffon, Pirlo, De Rossi, Marchisio, Di Natale, Giovinco, Nocerino, Montolivo, Maggio, Abate, Chiellini, De Sanctis, Matri, Destro, Borini, Giaccherini.

Mixed: Aquilani (injury), Balotelli (brilliant - but discipline problems), Osvaldo (inconsistent), Pazzini (inconsistent), Faraoni and Poli (number of appearances).

Negative: Ranocchia (injuries, poor performances), Cerci (bright start, but now benched due to attitude issues), Cassano (long-term injury), Rossi (long-term injury).

What is your suggested starting line-up?

25. sempreITALIA

sempreITALIA Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Assuming Cassano wont be at the Euro's, (because he would be the first down on my team sheet). Doctors have said wont be back until late May early June.

Starting 11: Buffon

Maggio - Barzagli - Chiellini - Criscito/ Balzaretti

De Rossi - Pirlo - Marchisio

Giovinco

Balotelli Matri

Bench: De Sanctis, Marchetti, Abate, Ranocchia, Thiago Motta, Nocerino, Giaccherini (or) Pepe, Aquilani, Montolivo, Rossi, Pazzini