Italia vs Spain Wed. March 5th (R)

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Deleted User x, Feb 28, 2014.

1. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Half that team yesterday wont see the light of day on the NT this summer so these arguments are a mute point.

Like someone has said...why show our full deck when you don't have to.

Once again typical over exaggeration by our Tifosi. There was a reason why Italy was ranked below 10 in 2006.

2. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's exactly it...Prandelli isn't going to reveal his hand until the tournament starts and has an idea of how to pace this team forward.

With that said, I am concerned about our selections...hopefully he doesn't leave out the Pescara 3.

3. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    best midfield for italy is de rossi-pirlo-marchisio

without these 3 this team will suck

4. metallicaband

metallicaband Member

Jun 11, 2004
    There's no way in HELL Pirlo can play a full tournament in Brazil's summer, which is why this moron Prandelli should have used Verratti more often so he can switch between the two in the WC and let Pirlo rest, we DESPERATELY NEED CREATIVITY when Pirlo isn't on the field!

Yet we still see players like Motta and ********ing Osvaldo being called up again and again, what a damn joke.

5. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He was saving his *aces*

6. Anthony212

Anthony212 Member

Aug 8, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  7. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    So you don't like Marchisio…can you at least tell us who should replace him or are you strictly whining.

What does Marchisio have to do with Veratti? Two different types of players. Are you suggesting Verratti replace Marchisio and also have Pirlo in the starting lineup??? I guess you would love to see our midfield overrun and completely demolished. Verratti is not Marchisio's natural replacement lol.

I was thinking the same thing dude. I hope your right because Giaccherini should instantly be replaced with Diamanti. Last night should be it for the Sunderland benchwarmer.

Simple…Prandelli is not sold on Verratti and will probably leave him home. Giaccherini and Diamanti are fighting it out for that midfield spot on the team.

8. joe83

joe83 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The most positive thing I can take from this game is the fact that Aquilani wasnt playing ! Hopefully thats the nail in the coffin...

Daei_10 repped this.
  9. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Aquapussy wasn't playing because he is already locked into Prandelli's roster, unfortunately.

10. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    So Prandelli didn't want this game. Didn't want to expose any tactics. Players weren't fit. PLEASE!!! All these excuses don't justify him wasting a game like that. If he thought the friendly so meaningless he should have started all the youngsters then and had them gain some experience win or lose.

Daei_10 and Il Ciuccio repped this.
  11. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    thanks for not making me feel like the emo kid in the back of the bus.

12. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A game of two halves:

1st half:

Prandelli clearly set out with a defensive 4-3-3 posture in the first half with the formation staying fairly compact and barely venturing outside their own half. Tactic was to play it to the front three who would attack into space on the counter. Cerci was excellent in that respect and has done enough to book his ticket to Brazil, but Candreva looked out of sorts on the left (not his natural position) and Osvaldo struggled receiving and holding up the ball with his back to goal. The Italian fullbacks pretty much stayed in position with Maggio putting in the most disciplined performance I've ever seen from him and the mids looked as though they were given limited freedom with the instruction to close down opposition players, keep their shape and play it to the forwards as quickly as possible.

Osvaldo looks good in and around the box and went very close to scoring , the team were also pretty solid defensively and I wouldn't get too down on the mids who were given a pretty limited mandate in terms of being able to express themselves.

2nd half:

With the introduction of Pirlo Italys approach changed to be much more open and offensive 4-4-2. Destro and Osvaldo/Immobile were the targets upfront and the 11 were covering much more field with players given more licence to make runs etc. De Sciglio and Abate were often pushing forward but this left more space for Spain who capitalised although they were a little fortunate with the ball spilling to Pedro on a Palletta slide tackle and perhaps Buffon should have done better. Immobile had a good chance which he miscontrolled and Destro also went close on a corner.

So whilst Spain were the better team in terms of overall play, at least Italy were able to create solid chances with by my count at least 4 close calls and they were generally solid defensively with Buffon only having to make one 1v1 save in the box.

All in all I think it was a worthwhile 90m in which coaching staff and fans alike were able to learn a fair bit:
    • Cerci best over 90m, and good option for FWR in 4-3-3
    • Add Palletta to list of Italys quality CBs
    • Another solid performance by Abate should be in 1st XI
    • Osvaldo is a good option to partner Balo in a front two
    • Apart from omissions for injury and suspension the final 23 will come from the squad v Spain
    Questions
    • Our FWL in the 4-3-3 isn't settled, is Insigne still being considered?
    • Or will Candreva fill that role, seems a bit redundant to include both Cerci and Candreva in the 23 otherwise
    • Astori or Palletta in final 23?
    • Destro or Gilardino?

forza_azzurri repped this.
  13. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You're misrepresenting what he said. He said he didn't want to play Spain which is fair enough when you consider Italy had less than 30% of possession, which didn't really give us a great chance to look at our forwards especially. The friendly still needed to be played it just would have been better to play a different opponent.

On the fitness comment, I agree that was bullshit. But he probably felt he needed to say that to assuage Italian pride after the loss to head off criticism from rabid fans/media etc.

14. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006

Lol. Classic.

Il Ciuccio repped this.
  15. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe you should educate yourself by watching PSG and learn that Marco Verratti starts on the right side of PSG's 3 man mid.

16. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If education means believing that Pirlo and Verratti should both play together in the same midfield than I'll remain ignorant thank you. Starting on the same side doesn't mean they do the same things on the pitch. I can't believe I even have to say this lol.

17. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Using Juve's model can Verratti play in Pogba's role?

18. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Verratti is wasted as a regista. His skill set is the closest to Cassano's of any Italian player, he should be in a free role behind the prima punta. He is too careless in possession and in the tackle for that deep role. He is more energetic than Pirlo, and as skillful, but he is not Pirlo's heir, he is too much of a dribbler by nature. Italy needs Verratti nearer the point of attack. The fact that PSG is so stacked up top they can afford to use him deeper is unfortunate. Post-Brazil, a trident of Balo, Verratti and Berardi should be tried.

19. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    I am finally getting around to watching this game on tape.

Things we already knew:
    Criscito is garbage. One of the worst performances ever by anyone in an Italy jersey. Which is not surprising, I have never understood why anyone rates him, he offers nothing.
    Motta is garbage. I don't watch PSG and I don't really care if people say he's doing great there, he is an extremely limited player and always has been at club and NT. A nothing, a zero.
    Osvaldo is garbage. How many times does he fail to capitalize on being played into space because he lacks pace and guile to get by a man? Yet at the same time, his hold up play is ponderous and suffocates opportunities to break with numbers. Pirlo put a goal on a plate for him early in the 2nd half with a magical pass. That's how far I've watched so far, I had to stop for a while in disgust.
    Candreva is a nonentity. Giacc may be limited but at least he is active and plays a part in the match. Giacc has never ever been as anonymous for 45 minutes as Candreva was.
    Marchisio lacks the ability to impose himself on a match, especially in such a crap midfield. He is a complementary piece, you can't deploy him alongside empty jerseys like Motta and Montolivo and expect anything.
    I still don't think Montolivo is a complete lost cause. Once in a while he actually shows his talent and he has played some good matches for Italy in the Euros. When the alternatives are horrors like Aquilani, I can live with Montolivo.
    Prandelli is a stubborn asshole. Playing a four-back formation when you have no decent sidebacks in your entire player pool is stupid beyond belief. I actually feel sorry for Maggio, why does the coach keep trotting him out in a role he cannot hope to succeed in?

20. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    The way Motta lost the ball at 59:00, the same way he lost it over and over in this match because he utterly lacks any skill or vision on the ball, made me want to punch a kitten.

21. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    the whole team played like garbage.

22. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Motta! What a ********ing imbecile! It's intolerable to watch him!

23. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    DeSciglio, another shit sideback. This Italy playing 4-3-3 is like playing 2-3-3. It's amazing how well the centerbacks did considering they got absolutely no cover from the flanks.

24. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    give the kid a break he has been out most of the season plays on a crap milan side and then got thrown to the wolves against Spain.

Davide13 repped this.
  25. Davide13

Davide13 Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Interesting but what about his scoring ability? You want your trequartista to score some goals too.

Somewhat agree

Agree

Was played out of position. Please no positive words about Giaccherini

Insightful

Disagree. You cannot call him up. The alternatives are Cigarini and Parolo.

Agree and disagree. Prandell is stubborn. But no decent sidebacks what they hell are you on about? Antonelli? De Silvestri? Cassani? De Sciglio? Santon? Darmian? D'Ambrosio? Antonini is having a good season I could go on. Abate is ok.

Agreee that Maggio is best in a 3-5-2.