It about that time of year !! Who's in - Who's out in college coaching !!

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by jiggaman123, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Soccerdad08

Soccerdad08 Member

Dec 12, 2008
    McCourt, Roland, DaCosta and Casper all in the NEC Playoffs. DaCosta won the league and was named Coach of the Year. Roland won in PK's and since went on to beat St Johns and St Louis. Not bad for a small conference.

2. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    What's the thought on San Diego State men's team/program?

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Isn't San Diego State leaving Pac 12 next year?

4. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
  5. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When SDSU football joins the Big East its time for a moratorium on conference names having anything to do with geography (already beyond the point of no return).

There was a time, not so long ago, when all conferences were aligned by relative geographical proximity, and not by potential TV revenue. Obviously, college soccer has a ways to go before, if ever, it becomes a revenue producing sport.

I'd add one more coaching name to the list of those doing more with less: Cesar Markovic, at NJIT. They might not have gotten as far as the 2012 NCAA tourney, but he has turned them around in his second year, after successful stints at Stonybrook, St. Peter's and Hunter.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The Big East might not exist by the time San Diego State is supposed to start playing football in it.

Nacional Tijuana and padgman1 repped this.
  7. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I am also amused by the Big N (N being a number from 5 to 16). The Big 10 now includes 12 members (and will soon be 14), the Big 8 became the the Big 12 but only has 10 members, and on a similar route, we have Big 5 -> Big 6 -> Pac 8 -> Pac 10 -> Pac 12 (which really does have 12 members, but with 5 associates in various sports).

Nacional Tijuana and JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  8. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Yeah I got it about realignment. My question is regarding the coaching situation there. The team hasn't been good in awhile, what is the general thought about that program? Would a new coach make the team competitive?

9. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FDU doing well.. Like I said.. perhpas I should re-evaluate.. but I've been to lots of NEC games.. it aint the ACC...

10. soccerall

soccerall Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Any rumors about the URI job yet?

11. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    My sense is that Lev and Matt have done a pretty good job with the resources they've been given. Getting lights for night games this year should help with creating a bigger fan base and also recruiting. Like several (most?) of the California schools, they probably could do a little better getting local talent to stay home.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So Cal fired their football coach Jeff Tedford and they will pay him $6.9 million buyout. Youwonder why soccer coaches keep their jobs so long but football lose their easily? I know football is a money maker but I can't help but think college soccer programs aren't bringing in some type of revenue for schools. I'm not saying at the gate or in TV money but maybe in exposure and/or in the form of camps which bring in money? I'm not really sure just speculating but there has to be a reason on why soccer coaches don't lose their jobs as much as other sports do....

13. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Because the boosters call for the coaches head:ROFLMAO:

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And basically what you are saying is no one (or not enough people anyway) cares about soccer , right?
    ;)

15. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Does anyone know anything about the URI job ? Did they almost drop the program a few years ago or was that Maine ? Have they been since Andy Williams ?

16. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maine dropped its program 4 seasons ago. URI was never considering it, IIRC.

17. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008

18. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Ten straight winning years from 98-07, then .500 in 08 and 09, and terrible since.

19. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Heard this over weekend. Briz at VT is going after the international players. He is recruiting guys from Germany and Israel. When he took over from Weiss , he agreed along with VT that he wouldn't recruit overseas for 4 yrs. Time is up...

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You know when I see this, it really turns my stomach? Why Israel? Like they are a world power? This is why soccer never makes it in the USA. I've lived and worked abroad even in the professional game and I don't believe American born players ages 18-21 are any worse than their Euro counterparts from abroad. If you are good in Europe you are already a pro at that age and therefore, whoever goes there and gets these types, its because they aren't that good therefore, why get them when you can get the same type of player with the same characteristics in your own backyard? It makes no sense!

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Because you get Israeli players after they've done their military service, which means you get them from ages 21-24.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And that is good? Playing players ages 21-24? I think starting 21 year old freshman and 24 year old seniors is horrible for American but also college soccer! What a terrible thing to do. This will not help improve the American game IMHO.....

unnamedsource and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    You and I agree. I'm just explaining why certain programs recruit Israelis.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I guess selling the ACC and good academics was just too much of an obstacle for him to overcome with domestic players.

25. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    The collegiate system is not responsible for improving the American game . The collegiate game does not get a nickle out of player progression....they have no player rights. It is great if they participate in player development do but they have very close to no responsibility in this area. Their only return on players going forward to represent the American game is a few lines on a webpage or in a PR document " Jimmy XXXXX went on to success in YYYYYY" . While this player development/progression is a element of future recruiting almost nothing is more influential in recruiting than recent success on the field.

Sooooooo as has been posted here of late..... just win baby !

Player development IS in the hands of the thousands of youth soccer clubs across the US....all of which also have essentially no return on player progression. THAT is one of the major problems with trying to apply internatioal practices to the American game. It is a HUGE difference. So how do these thousands of of youth clubs survive? Their gravy train starts at ...meanders through and ends in mom and dads wallets. It is a pay for play system. How do these organizations attract mom and dad and their wallets???

As has been posted here of late....just win baby !

The real problem is that winning at the youth level is not exactly connected with long term player development. It is a VERY short sighted system.

None of this is exactly news.