It about that time of year !! Who's in - Who's out in college coaching !!

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by jiggaman123, Oct 30, 2012.

1. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's still college soccer... a lot can change from year to year with the amount of player turnover that happens.

if stanfurd hired salcedo away from UCLA last year, then UCLA could be in the wilderness right now.

charlotte came out of nowhere on a cinderella run all the way to the ncaa final last year.

perennial powerhouse UCSB had a nightmare season this year despite having quality players and respected coach.

portland and stanford made the tournament in 09 and portland did some damage beating new mexico and NC State

Cal knocked UCSB out in 2010 and took Akron to PK's in the quarters

it's not all hopeless for the west

2. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
    VT players strong & prater

3. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Rumor on the streets Harvard is going to give coach another year

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  5. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Feel bad for the players in that situation. Coach already proven utterly incompetent, but do they really want to transfer out of Harvard?

6. poprox

poprox Member

Oct 10, 2012
    Club:
    Coritiba FBC
    I would say yes, look at their schedule and the winning games were vs lack luster teams plus they were terrible on the road!

7. PlayForKeeps

PlayForKeeps Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Middle America
    Terrible decision if this happens. You have so many qualified coaches who would jump at the chance to coach the Crimson. How bout Ainscough at Northeastern who has lead them to three 10+ win seasons out of the last four. Then there's a guy like Fleming at Xavier who has had incredible success, proven he can coach at private universities, and hails from Boston. I'm sure there are others.

Why keep hoping this unproven guy and make the kids suffer for another year? Yale must be happy.

8. Stan Anderson

Stan Anderson New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the kind words. Brendan is a good man and a great family man. Maybe one is not supposed to reveal themselves on these forums but just wanted to give that nod to Brendan and say I appreciated the kind words from Fire in the Hole and Soccerist (whoever you are) :) Loads of great men in this profession. Work hard/no other way. Stan

24Seven, tolstoy and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  9. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Andy Fleming should be up for one of the bigger jobs that may open up this year !! Watching the IU and Xavier match. He has done a great job putting that program together

JoeSoccerFan, Sandon Mibut and Hararea repped this.
  10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Agreed.

Pitt, Ohio State and Virginia Tech should be paying attention. They likely aren't, but they should be.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  11. podborney

podborney New Member

Nov 4, 2012

12. podborney

podborney New Member

Nov 4, 2012
    I know that inside the OSU locker room Fleming's name comes up quite a bit!

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    A coach that hasn't been mentioned but maybe should be is Ed Kelly at Boston College.

Aside from the fact that he's the only head coach in D-I men's soccer without a Bachelor's Degree (assuming everyone is telling the truth), BC has under-performed almost every year and doesn't seem able to take the next leap in the ACC.

In fairness to Kelly, they have rarely been bad lately. But they've also rarely been a national contender, which is what an ACC program should be contending for every season.

The past 10 years, they've missed the NCAA Tournament 3 times and of the 7 they've made it they've been eliminated in the 1st round twice, the 2nd round twice and the 3rd round twice.

Again, they aren't bad. But, in the past 10 years 7 other ACC schools have made the Final Four at least once and 4 have won a national title.

Here's a quick summary of Kelly's tenure at BC.

25 seasons
    3 conference championships (2 Big East, 1 ACC)
    8 losing seasons
    11 NCAA Tournament appearances (including the last 6 seasons)
    6 to the second round (3 1st rd. byes)
    3 times to the Sweet 16 (last in 2009)
    1 time to the Elite Eight/QFs (2002)

14. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    If he were getting paid $3 million a year then maybe you want more, but that looks like a pretty good resume to me. Probably puts them in the top 10% of all programs especially over the last six years. Boston is not exactly an easy sell compared to the warm weather and Bermuda grass of the rest of the league.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  15. PlayForKeeps

PlayForKeeps Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Middle America
    Since BC football and basketball are such powerhouses right now, the soccer program really pales in comparison. Oh wait, BC football and basketball suck...

16. Branko Segota

Branko Segota Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Fleming to OSU.......hmmm. Trask, Yeagley, Fleming, Rensing, Cirovski - all in the Big Ten. It would be a former IU Soccer Camp staff All-Star Division if they split it up right!

Hararea repped this.
  17. I Love the game

Jun 20, 2005
    I don't know how you know this but even still, the locker room does not select the next coach. If the AD is talking about Fleming that's a different story.
    I think Flemming has done an excellent job at Xavier but I sure would not like to see the Buckeyes losing to IU 4-1. On the flip side, when he was an assistant at Northwestern they had very good results vs. OSU.
    Bottom line I don't see Bluem going anywhere right now. A couple more bad years then you might see someone like Justin Cook who WAS a Buckeye and has been at Tulsa for several years now.

18. PlayForKeeps

PlayForKeeps Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Middle America
    Except Cook has no head coaching experience and is Asst. to a good Tulsa program in a relatively weak league. On the flip side, Fleming has taken a Xavier squad to two A10 titles and three NCAAs in 3 seasons at X... the 2 seasons before Fleming, X won a total of 5 games. Before that, he was three year Asst. at Northwestern who has proven to be a consistent B1G/NCAA contender for the past 6-7 seasons. Cook has no B1G coaching experience at all and no head coaching experience.

You're comparing luxury sedans to Yugos right now.

19. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Towson's, Richmond's, and Mount St. Mary's coaches are available for hire!

20. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Richmond's coach was a temporary fill-in when Clint Peay pursued other options.

21. I Love the game

Jun 20, 2005
    All your points are actually excellent and make a lot of sense.
    I'm also not saying that it should be Cook over Flemming either. As I said before this is moot but kind of fun because Bluem is not going anywhere.
    However, there was also a time when Flemming had no HC experience and got a head coaching job. I know Xavier is not B1G country but that almost does not matter these days. How about Caleb with no HC experience getting the Akron job. You know how IU always likes to keep it in the IU family as far as their HC's. I'm just saying. Maybe OSU needs to keep it in the family too.
    Then again if Tulsa wins the National Championship?
    Basically I guess you are saying the natural progression is Assistant first, then HC at mid major before HC at a BCS school. Like Kelly Findley, right?
    I'm sure there have been some assistants that went right to a HC job at BCS schools at some point.

22. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Todd Yeagley IU assistant to Wisconsin HC
    George Kiefer Uconn assistant to USF HC
    Marlon Lablanc PSU assistant to WVU HC
    Brian Wiess ND assistant to Gtown HC
    These are a few off the top of my head - let me know if you come up with any others

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Kevin Grimes - SMU assistant to Cal head coach.
    Caleb Porter - Indiana assistant to Akron head coach (I'll let others argue if that that was major or mid-major when he got hired)
    Brian Wiese - Notre Dame assistant to Georgetown head coach

Then there are the assistants who got promoted to head coach at their own BCS school:

Mike Brizendine - Virginia Tech (not that it worked out well)
    George Gelnovatch - Virginia
    Tim McClements - Southern Methodist (had prior HC experience when promoted)
    Cam Rast - Santa Clara (was major-er at the time)
    Damon Rensing - Michigan State
    Jorge Salcedo - UCLA
    Carlos Somoano - North Carolina
    Jay Vidovich - Wake Forest

24. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    In his post-game press conference, Fleming actually teared up a little bit talking about how Yeagley gave him his start at the IU camp. Right near the end, he said, "I'm just very proud of Xavier giving me my first head coaching opportunity," sounding a lot like a guy who's headed for his second head coaching opportunity. As he says, though, it really is amazing that those seniors were 2-13-1 as freshmen.

http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/111812aaa.html

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Very classy comments by Fleming and very classy of IU to put those comments on their website.