It about that time of year !! Who's in - Who's out in college coaching !!

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by jiggaman123, Oct 30, 2012.

1. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I'm surprised (not only with this poster), but with all of the regular contributors of this thread, to overlook the obvious candidate. In an unusual but not too unexpected move, Jared Embick moves to a new school before coaching his first game. It's a trailblazer move - but it's Akron.

If Embick declines to move, I'd like to be first to propose Embick for all future coach movement thread. It's Akron after all - Canadian National Coach - could be opening.

2. Zipper123

Zipper123 New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Akron and the MAC...a new opening...Buffalo is now looking for a new head coach

3. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Stan Anderson is no longer at Marquette, he is at Loyola. Brian Johnson no longer at West Virginia

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. Zipper123

Zipper123 New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Soto at UCLA or Bo Oshoniyi at Penn State??

5. #1 fan

#1 fan Member

May 13, 2007
    Adam Cooper at St Mary's is a class act, great work ethic instilled in his players and positive role model. Any school in the WCC should be so lucky.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    One good thing about Grimes is he rarely recruits players out of the state of California or from what I heard , foreigners. Not sure if its a UC thing or if its the school who dictates to him who he can or can not recruit. I do know the school like Stanford is tough academically and if you don't keep up your studies, you are as good as gone. This can also be a factor on which player come to CAL....

7. Tagg

Tagg New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Interesting to see what some of the UC soccer coaches get paid.
    According to sacbee.com, Grimes got $233,000 in 2011, TVS 142,000 and Salcedo 137,000.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Some coaches get free housing not included as part of their salary. Anyway, supposedly, from what I heard, many of them make a lot more than that because of the youth summer camps they or the schools hold on campus.

9. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm trying to understand this post. Santa Barbara, also a UC school has no restrictions on rostering foreign players so why would Cal? I think it has to do more with the recruiting philosophy of a coach as opposed to any type of rostering restrictions.

As for Academics, how does UCLA get it done with a recent final four team, conference titles 4/5 years yet still placing 4 starters on the COSIDA District All Academic teams with their players majoring in rigorous majors while Cal places none despite the Cal team major of choice being Social Welfare?

But the forum topic is Coaches on the hot seat. With the amount of money Grimes is making, perhaps a bit more scrutiny of his program and the type of student athlete he is recruiting is in order Cal is also a BCS school so presumably his athletes have the academic support to succeed also, that is if the coach is placing some semblance of a priority on academics in his program.

Hey,. It may appear I am dumping on the guy but again, he is one of the highest paid mens soccer coaches in the West and as a California taxpayer, IMHO it doesn't appear his teams performance both in the classroom and on the field warrants that level of compensation.

But they do make good music videos. :p

10. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Because Cal carries a lot of sports with relatively limited resources. It's been quite a few years since I last heard about their soccer team's funding situation, but at that point they had something like four or five scholarships total, and it wouldn't surprise me if they were limited to in-state.

It's interesting that Cal chose to pay Grimes as much as they do, but that doesn't necessarily mean the program is particularly well off now. We know for a fact that not too long ago, their program wasn't all that far from being cut. Their situation is nothing like UCSB, where soccer is a top line sport, or UCLA, where the athletics department is filthy rich.

11. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was two or three years ago that Cal put baseball, rugby, men's and women's gymnastics and one other sport (I think women's field hockey) on the cutting block. Donations saved them all.

Men's soccer was not among the sports targeted.

WatzBruin repped this.
  12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Cal's choice was down to keeping soccer or keeping baseball. Fortunately, the choice was baseball, and then alumni stepped forward. If soccer had been the one to get axed, I'm not sure it would've been capable of similar fund-raising.

13. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not know it came down to soccer. I think fund-raising and community pressure would have kept it though. A UC without men's soccer is like an SEC school with no football.

14. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    These guys have all been fighting with one hand tied behind their back with the RPI. Now granted they haven't been as impacted as some others in the West early on, but it has still happened. In 2010 LMU Massey ranking was 34 when bids go out. If Krumpe gets and at-large bid his program deserves, it makes recruiting top local players a bit easier. Similarly Portland had a 40 in 2010. Probably not enough to make it, but the misleading RPI makes them look a lot less competitive than the program really is. Why these guys are not complaining about it publicly is a mystery to me. Maybe I wasn't listening since I heard announcers mentioning that Washington felt they got snubbed last year. But when if I happen to run into some of them I will definitely ask.

15. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I agree. UCLA is UCLA. Stanford finished like a ball of fire and should be in the tournament this year. Washington lost 3 MLS draftable players last year yet was even better this year. Since RPI has turned the Pac12 into essentially a 2 bid league, I don't see how Cal is going to be in the top 2.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have no idea about Cal's or UC's restrictions on signing foreign players as opposed to signing home grown talent. All I'm only saying is Kevin Grimes doesn't sign anyone out of the state like many others schools coaches do or have in the past so if he only signs in state players and doesn't have to, I'm sure there is some kind of reason behind it.

As far as his salary is concerned, maybe Grimes has other duties? I know he has been there 13 years and even though $233k a year seems a little extreme for a soccer coach, the cost of living in San Francisco and its surrounding cities as well as the entire Bay Area is incredibly high so maybe that is the norm for a UC Berkley coach? I have no idea really why he makes that salary. All power to him though if he does in fact get that.

As far as why UCLA being consistent with a winning program as opposed to Cal or not, I'm not sure. If I'm a top HS recruit though, and I had a choice on picking UCLA or Cal, I'd pick UCLA in a heart beat. I think any player and/or parent in their right mind would. As far as the Bay area is concerned, the schools are Santa Clara, Stanford and Cal. Growing up here, I can tell you Santa Clara usually loses out when those two schools want you as they are all pretty prestigious for this area.

As for baseball, Cal were in fact in danger of losing the sport as they were going to cut the program last year until someone stepped up and donated $11 million dollars and then they kept it.

17. mdc00

mdc00 Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two points I'd like to make here.

First, about Sam Koch's record. While it is true that he's had two winning seasons in nine years, that's a little misleading; he's also had three seasons that were exactly .500 in that time span, so he's only had four losing seasons in that period. The choice of period is also pretty arbitary. If you go back five more years, you add five more winning seasons; if you go back two fewer years, you subtract out two losing seasons. Overall, in 23 seasons, he's only had four years in which his team was significantly below .500 (by which I mean, if you convert a loss into a win, would they have been .500 or above)--his first year (1990), 1998, and the last two seasons. (Full record available here: http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-soccer/archive/umas-m-soccer-archive.html.)

Also, with respect to the resources available to him: It's only an indirect indicator, but the media guide available on the team's home page (http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-soccer/umas-m-soccer-body.html) is for 2010. They didn't produce one for either of the last two seasons. Moreover, for this season, they didn't even bother to produce a quick facts info sheet. My inference from this is that he's not being given much support.

18. Fire in the Hole

Fire in the Hole New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Neil Jones - Northwestern

19. Fire in the Hole

Jun 23, 2009
    Stan did a great job recruiting for Marquette. I think he will likewise for Loyola. Tireless worker. Very likeable.

20. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Except Brendan Eitz was let go so Stan may be out of job.

21. Fire in the Hole

Jun 23, 2009
    thanks for the update. Maybe Stan will get the job?

22. I Love the game

Jun 20, 2005
    Where did Brian Johnson go?

23. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Brian Johnson left WVU and is now a scout for USoccer

24. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
    VT could be in trouble. Heard 2 of his best players are leaving/transfering from school. Maybe a couple more to follow.

25. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Have you heard who the two are that are looking to Transfer from VA Tech ?