Israel/Palestine in the News, Part IV

Discussion in 'International News' started by JBigjake, Nov 20, 2012.

1. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
  2. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't need to shoot you in the face, you would get tasered or a similar response of scale of force 1 up from what you bring to me.

But your analagy doesn't apply here, hamas aren't throwing stones, they are firing rockets and missiles. Shitty iranian ones, but rockets and missiles nonetheless. And they are firing them at civlian targets, as was stated earlier, you have massed Israeli forces right on the border, why aren't they firing at them?

I love how people are glossing over the celebrations by hamas over the bus bombing. And nothing is said about the murder of 6 people in full public view? Or the dragging of a body down the street behind a motorcycle?

3. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weak argument and pathetic attempt to liken hamas use of human shields to hamas placing a bomb on a civlian bus that didn't even detonate at the ministry but nearby.

Had they bombed the ministry building, I would accept it as a viable military target. But that isn't what happened no matter how you try to spin it to fit your silly arguments.

4. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust a European to support an anti-Jewish group.

5. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fallicy of your statement is the if part. hamas does exist, and they have clearly stated their intentions of their existence. What facts on the ground are being changed in the West Bank while hamas is fighting from gaza?

6. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/21/world/meast/gaza-israel-strike/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

What a nice guy, I am sure this was mis-translated and he really meant to strike at just military targets right? o_O

odessit19 repped this.
  7. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    While there is no comprehensive settlement, Israel continues to settle the West Bank.

8. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they do and they are wrong to do so. You will not get an argument from me on that point. Not sure if you have seen my posts in the past on this topic, but I feel Israel should remove themselves from the West Bank and allow the PA to have full authority there, no checkpoints, nothing. And as for the settlements that are there, well they become part of Palestine and the people can either stay or go back to Israel. I would expect that anyone who stays would be given the same rights as any other citizen of Palestine at that point.

Moishe and Umar repped this.
  9. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Sounds reasonable. I suppose Israel's objection is that, if this were to come to pass, the militant Palestinians would be able to obtain better missiles and would be closer to Tel Aviv and Jerusalem (under the '67 boundaries they would be in "East" Jerusalem). I think the answer to that is, if the Palestinians could not control attacks from its borders, Israel do that for them. But that might be harder then "mowing the lawn" in Gaza every five years

The only point of my original post is that Hamas is playing into the hands of Israel (or at least the Israeli "hardliners").

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't support them. I recognise they're frustrated by the lack of a meaningful response from the other side and that's strengthened the hands of the religious morons among them.

Unfortunately it's YOUR ill-informed and historically illiterate support that might lead to an unfortunate, possibly catastrophic, end for the Israeli state. If they tried my, (well, the majority position of the UN, more accurately), approach, they could, even yet, survive in the log run.

11. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    [​IMG]
    Posted on a Facebook page purporting to be the official Arabic page for Dr Mohamed Morsi. Not sure if I believe it or not, doesn't seem original. It's doing the rounds on Facebook though.

12. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    If they tried UN's approach, Israel would cease to exist. Thanks, but not thanks

13. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a risk they run. As we saw with gaza it led to rocket attacks against Israel. Where I see it differing is that I would make the west bank and gaza part of Palestine and they should get immediate recognition as a nation and made a member of the UN. I would think that would change the rules so far as attacks from either side.

At some point the charters of likud and hamas need to be thrown out by each group. They are unrealistic and are an excuse for continued fighting from each side. How can any peace be conceived when charters exist denying the rights of the other side?

teammellieIRANfan and jmartin1966 repped this.
  14. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually if you read my thoughts of a solution it would not lead to an end for either state, rather a beginning for a new Palestine.

15. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Hamas rockets destroyed Israeli left. And now Israeli hardliners destroying Palestinian moderates. :-(

GiuseppeSignori and jmartin1966 repped this.
  16. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eastern European immigrants killed the Israeli left.

Moishe repped this.
  17. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    LOL.......of course.....didn't realize you have an extensive background in ME history, as well as superb knowledge of Israeli politics.

And of course two intifadas, Lebanon, and constant rocket barrage had nothing to do with that. It's those damn pesky Russian and Ukrainian Jews.

18. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did you come to this conclusion?

19. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Demographically speaking, yes. It's those damn pesky Russian and Ukrainian Jews.

20. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Considering the Eastern European Commies started and built Israel - you're right.

"sigh"

21. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Avigdor Lieberman killed the Israeli left? I think that's a stretch. I agree that Eastern European immigrants are generally more conservative and thus their immigration has made Israel more conservative. But I think it's generally security related issues that has made Israel more consevative.

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UN_242

The preamble[3] emphasizes the "inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by war and the need to work for a just and lasting peace in the Middle East in which every State in the area can live in security."

Operative Paragraph One "Affirms that the fulfillment of Charter principles requires the establishment of a just and lasting peace in the Middle East which should include the application of both the following principles:
    (i) Withdrawal of Israel armed forces from territories occupied in the recent conflict;
    (ii) Termination of all claims or states of belligerency and respect for and acknowledgment of the sovereignty, territorial integrity and political independence of every State in the area and their right to live in peace within secure and recognized boundaries free from threats or acts of force

On 1 May 1968, Israeli ambassador to the UN expressed Israel's position to the Security Council: "My government has indicated its acceptance of the Security Council resolution for the promotion of agreement on the establishment of a just and lasting peace. I am also authorized to reaffirm that we are willing to seek agreement with each Arab State on all matters included in that resolution."

In a statement to the General Assembly on 15 October 1968, the PLO rejected Resolution 242, saying "the implementation of said resolution will lead to the loss of every hope for the establishment of peace and security in Palestine and the Middle East region." In September 1993, the PLO agreed that Resolutions 242 and 338 should be the basis for negotiations with Israel when it signed the Declaration of Principles.

So it was the Israelis that accepted 242 and the PLO that rejected it, albeit initially before later accepting it. Of course, and as you'd expect, there's some very 'lawyerly' language there but NOWHERE does it say Israel won't exist.

You're not exactly big on this whole reality business, are yer mate :)

23. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Like acceptance of refugees, going back to 67 lines - that would cause Israel to cease as a Jewish nation. That's reality, bloke...

24. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In other words, you are in favour of apartheid policies, and denying Palestinian rights under UN resolution, to preserve this pathological status of Israel as a Jewish nation. Lol How myopic...

Boloni86 repped this.
  25. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    In your words. The apartheid states are Syria, Lebanon, Jordan that keep Palestinians in refugee camps.
    Palestinians had these rights, but they refused to accept them time and time again. They can thank their Arab brethren for that

Mr. Conspiracy repped this.