Israel/Palestine in the News, Part III

Discussion in 'International News' started by JBigjake, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that once you give the Palestinians the chance to see what life is like not fighting a war day in and day out, and they get a fair deal in the West Bank, the concept of violent resistance will hold even little appeal to them and Hamas will eventually either have to change or will lose it's popularity.

I don't think Fatah would sacrifice the chance to get a Palestinian state, I think they are desperate at this point for anything, by attacking Israel in the future. That would just risk a reoccupation, which frankly would be justified if they were stupid enough to do that.

Now there might be small incidents where splinter groups try to derail the process, probably one both sides. Someone trying to provoke the other to do something stupid. Either Israeli settlers resisting or radical Palestinian groups continuing their terror attacks. so it would be crucial that Fatah would work with the Israelis whenever an incident occurred to mollify Israeli concerns. Whether that is cooperating with an investigation, extraditing perpetrators of violence etc. From what I've seen from afar, I think Fatah and Israel have done a decent job of cooperating considering the circumstances and I certainly think they'd make it work if they had something to lose.

2. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I still don't understand the structure of the Israeli government. Yea, by politically, I meant its allies will start to abandon her (not the US but a lot of European states) as well as India. India is a rising power and thus it is going to have increasing energy needs. This will cause it to form stronger relationships with countries with natural gas and oil (Russia/Iran) and given the significant Muslim population, there will also be more pressure for India to push a New Dehli policy and not a Washington policy re: the Middle East. Therefore, a stable Middle East is in Israel's best interests. A destabilized Middle East (such as now) is Israel's worst nightmare given its isolation by governments and people in the region.

I don't know how you can have a peace with the Palestinians when the Palestinians aren't even united. I think the prospects for peace were much greater in the 1990s.

3. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=213848

Barak confirms: 'Iron Dome' to be deployed within days

hope it helps.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I assume they are like Patriot missiles - a barrage of missile interceptors fired at any incoming missiles.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks

7. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    can actually destroy kassams before they reach their destination and can provide a shield from short-range rockets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Dome

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it is like patriot missiles essentially.

9. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
  10. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    supposedly different in that it can destroy less sophisticated tragectiles like kassam and katushas.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My knowledge of weapon system is about the level of, "it's a missile intercepter." Haha

12. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    If true, will anyone apologize for all the rhetoric & the abuse of the Palestinians in the nearby villages (all men arrested - some physically abused, houses raided & vandalized, etc., & that's just by the govt.!)?

13. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
    I believe that is a rhetorical question. They used this incident effectively in the media against the Palestinians. It just shows what this current government is all about.

14. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
  15. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
  16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that is not really the best way to explain a source as legitimate.

17. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
    In that case lets delegitimize Israeli sources as well.

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was a widely reported incident where say, Israeli soldiers killed some Palestinian family, and the only place that said it wasn't them was some Israeli site, I wouldn't believe them either.

19. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I don't think the linked by Zaid story is reliable at this stage, but nor are the all the other reports suggesting it was a Palestinian. There is no evidence at all that this was done by a Palestinian. It's simply an assumption by everyone.

Now, the assumption may well be correct, but to suggest that it was a Palestinian unless someone comes up with a reputable source to disprove that assumption is not usually how it works.

EDIT: In-depth review from Al-Jazeera about the situation faced by israelis involved in the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement.
    http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/features/2011/03/2011318171822514245.html

20. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    To assume otherwise is naive at best, but credibility of such websites is a pure joke.
    As to your other link, it pains me to see Israelis boycotting their own countrymen's products. Again, it's the Jews who try to feel guilty for everyone else. Pathetic...

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't see why people in a supposedly free country aren't allowed to protest against actions that they feel are unjust. If Americans feel the Iraqi invasion was a bad idea, they are allowed to do something about it. Blindly following one ideology is dangerous.

22. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I never said they are not allowed to do so. Fortunately they can, but I believe it's wrong and that guilty consciousness won't bring them any more peace and doing or believing THAT, as you claim, is dangerous.

23. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as american i take the third option. I dont care either way. They both can go off the face of the earth for all i care.

Salazar repped this.
  24. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    And as an American you are free to speak your mind. And as an American I can tell you many things, but I won't, because it would be a waste of my time to do so on people in your IQ bracket.

25. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    You're probably right, but anything is possible.
    Obviously, not much has been released in any media, but I recall a mention og footprints in the mud leading to a Palestinian village. Of course, that could be misinformation as well.
    Here's a subsequent report from another source:
    http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/8469618-itamar-massacrethai-workers-rounded-up-in-itamar
    Other reports have indicated that another home was targeted first:
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4041701,00.html
    To some, others apparently share moral responsibility as well:
    http://www.forward.com/articles/136249/
    http://www.forward.com/articles/136252/