Israel gave birth control to Ethiopian Jews without their consent

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matt in the Hat, Jan 28, 2013.

1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    It's not stupid, it's a fact. Being Jewish, especially in the Soviet Union had nothing, nothing to do at all with religion, but with your ethnicity. If someone in your family tree at any point in time was Jewish (practicing or not), you became Jewish. Being Jewish is not the same thing as practicing Judaism. It's a complex issue to which a simple answer doesn't exist.

And not that it matters here, but Yes, you can be part of a religion and not believe that God exists. All depends on your definition of religion, but that's neither here nor there.

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expand

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I do not know any Ethiopian Jew who lives in Israel, nor have I ever talked to anyone is Israel about Ethiopians, nor do I live in Israel, so I have no idea.

4. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    It's a semantic argument. Some define Jewishness as adherence to a set of religious values, including a belief in God. Others define it as having been born to a Jewish mother, so ethnicity more than religion. Those subscribing to the latter POV would call Jesus a Jew.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fair enough- one down, one to go.

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Some Russian Jews in Israel are criminals. Some claimed to be Jews but weren't. So what? The majority of Russian Jews in Israel are perfectly good citizens. So what is the problem that we're referring to? That some immigrants have done bad things? Oh noes!
    As for my "personal ties to Russia" - roflmfao. Yeah, I'm a big defender of that place!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Where have I defended this action? Go ahead, find a single post where I've done that. Any sentence, anything. Rather than accusing me of something read my posts first.

7. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it's not an ethnicity. Ethnicity is a not a choice. Religion is.

8. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Some Russian Jews in Israel are criminals. Some claimed to be Jews but weren't. So what? The majority of Russian Jews in Israel are perfectly good citizens. So what is the problem that we're referring to? That some immigrants have done bad things? Oh noes!
    As for my "personal ties to Russia" - roflmfao. Yeah, I'm a big defender of that place!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Where have I defended this action? Go ahead, find a single post where I've done that. Any sentence, anything. Rather than accusing me of something read my posts first.

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    +1. the examples of jews being classified (and persecuted) as such regardless of their individual religious practices points to them being an ethnic group at least as much as a religion.

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    ROFL. I love your tapdancing. All Israeli Zionists are Jews!

If they weren't accepted as Jewish, they wouldn't be in Israel.

Seriously, 3000 years of human history disagrees with you, but who are we to argue with your mighty ignorance?

Whether Israel has a problem with racism (it does) has nothing to do with this question.

A stupid answer since we're not an explicitly Christian country. But, then again, no Jew here has been disputing that the action in question was morally reprehensible.

A "non-ethnic" Jew - a rather curious term.

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    It isn't a "semantic" argument, since you don't understand what "semantic" means. You're also wrong on the differences between the two situations, but then again, you don't seem to know a lot about the subject at all.
    Incidentally, there's no other way to view Jesus than as a Jew whose followers took Judaism in a different direction. But good example!

12. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know you could stand to be a bit more civil.

crazypete13 and guignol repped this.
  13. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty clear they face a great deal of racism, but Ethiopian Jews are considered "fully Jewish" by most other Jews. I'm sure you can find plenty of examples of extremist groups saying that they're not real Jews for some made up reason or another. But Israel started actively making efforts to bring Ethiopian Jews to Israel some time in the 70s. I'm sure there are people who know more about the history of it than I do. What I recall is that, as a teen, I bought a "liberate Ethiopian Jewry" bracelet from a nonprofit dedicated to repatriating Jews from Ethiopia to Israel. They are not an unwanted immigrant group, by any stretch. The Israeli government and various organizations have lobbied for decades to bring them into the country. (Again, not to say there isn't a lot of racism, or that there aren't certain elements who object to Ethiopian immigration.)

14. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Not all Zionists are Jews, and not all Jews are Zionists. These Zionists happened to be israeli. They also happened to be Jews but they didn't do it because they were Jews.
    What is it called when people use the same term ("Jew") to mean different things (one views the term to denote religious affiliation and the other uses it to denote ethnicity), and then proceed to make differing assertions based on that? I think you'll find it's a semantic dispute.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_dispute

Now, stop being a complete and utter cunt - it's not helpful.

15. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it is an ethnicity. It's an ethnicity and a religion. You can't quit being Jewish. You're born Jewish. Umar is mistaken. It has nothing to do with how you define "Jewish" or "Judaism." These are not separate definitions. The Jews consider themselves both a religion and a nation. A person born to Chinese parents doesn't stop being Chinese just because she grows up swallowing more Coca Cola than sorrows. Similarly, a person born to Jewish parents (or even one Jewish parent) never stops being Jewish.

Most people don't have trouble grasping this.

Moishe and crazypete13 repped this.
  16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well, my post #81 that provoked this exchange referred not to a russian problem in the absolute but relative to a putative ethiopian problem. so please identify for me the ethiopian equivalents of gregory lerner, sofa landver, etc...

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Seems I read you say you were born in or spent significant time in Russia. You didn't, you didn't.

No one said a word about your defending anything. Read MY posts again.

I used the word "fully" as an entry into "Well, why the ******** are they being prevented from procreating?"

It may well be, I don't know. That's part of what I'm trying to find out.

18. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Says you.

I know a former Jew who converted to Islam. He doesn't consider himself to be a Jew. He also doesn't consider himself to have been born a Jew - he considers himself to have been born a Muslim.

Who are you to tell him he is a Jew?

19. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    and so do we. they haven't been feeding bonfires and crematoriums for centuries based on whether they go to synagogue but on how many of their grandparents did.

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being Jewish is an ethnic/national designation as well as a religious designation.

See also: The former Yugoslavia.

21. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you met most people?

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Can you become Jewish with no previous Jewish ancestors?

23. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A person born in Ireland could move to Italy and become a citizen there. He could then claim to be Italian and insist he's Italian and even say he was born Italian, if that's how he feels. And that's fine! People should self-identify however they want. I would gladly call that person Italian, if that's what he considers himself. But most of the world would say he's still also Irish.

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Doesn't it simply mean someone whose ancestors adopted the Jewish faith at some point in the past rather than being born into it? I'm talking about during the past few hundred years, obviously.

It relates to this issue because, by the looks of it, (from these actions), some people are thinking that, while all Jews are equal, some are a little more equal than others. Isn't that sort of the point?

25. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By this logic, all Chistians are Jews