Israel gave birth control to Ethiopian Jews without their consent

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matt in the Hat, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then after each shot, their chance of getting pregnant for the next 3 months is very low. What is the point you are making ? Some women in this country use this form of birth control for years.

I am not debating the morality of this at all. If it was done, even to one woman, it was completely immoral.

What I am trying to do is to clear up some obvious misconceptions about this form of birth control.

2. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I understand where you're coming from, but the despicable nature of this program for me isn't in the way it affected each individual woman. The thing that is evil about it (if it's true) is the way they calculated that if they gave it to as many women as they could, the birth rates for that group would drop dramatically. Whilst the effect on the individuals might not have been severely detrimental (and indeed might have been beneficial in some circumstances), the effect on the group was drastic, and was intended to be so. A 50% lower birth rate amongst that group is not an insignificant effect.

What you gotta ask yourself is why they would do it. The reason is to marginalise these people politically and socially in order to maintain their ethnocracy. The full damage done to these people isn't going to be apparent now, that'll come further down the line. Planning to marginalise people's rights decades in advance, that's some evil shit right there.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The problem is, if you don't accept the bibles version of events relating to that part of the world and that period of time it's difficult to see what a 'right of return' means. Bluntly, how can someone 'return' to somewhere they or their family have never been.

Boloni86 repped this.
  4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you should make up your mind first.

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Maybe. But birth control comes with its own very real set of risks. How do we know if the clinics were evaluating each woman's medical history to see if they could even get the shots? My guess is that they didn't and just herded them in & out.

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    there you've got me. there was no place of worship on the kibbutz i was at and it was one of the biggest and oldest in the country. come to think of it, what israel needs is a lot more atheism and a lot less religion.

but to get back to the russians, i perceive (and ask only to be proven wrong by those who know better than i do and will not hesitate to prove it) that they consitute a much bigger problem in isreal than the ethiopians.

Auriaprottu and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    FYP
    the term "right of return" was chosen to give aliyah a historical raison d'être (however dubious) but the greatisraelites actually motivatated by such considerations are a minority... one the majority of israelis considers troublesome... and many of which have less intention of recognizing the state of israel than hamas does.

but we all know that israel owes its existence to nothing said or done 2000 years ago nor 100 years ago. it's what we discovered 68 years ago that made it happen.

jews have been identified as an ethnic group so strongly and for so long that i see no conflict in Q's position. marx, freud, einstein, lévi-strauss, raymond aron, woody allen (just to start a long list) are all identified, and identified themselves, as jews, and all were atheists.

and then there's the case of henri bergson. he was not an atheist. in his theology he was if anything a catholic. but though the vichy government exempted him from having to do so, he at great pains insisted on registering himself as israelite.

several years earlier he had said : "i would have converted [to catholicism] had i not seen preparing for so many years the formidable wave of antisemitism ready to crash down on the world. i wished to remain among those who will be the persecuted of tomorrow."

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So you would identify as culturally but not religiously Jewish?

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think you are ignoring the psychological effects. I can only assume that many of the women involved were in relationships where they had the desire to procreate. Failure to do so caused by a contraceptive they themselves were not aware of will have caused them serious harm.

Demosthenes and Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    From the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide
    (Adopted by Resolution 260 (III) A of the U.N. General Assembly on 9 December 1948.
    Entry into force: 12 January 1951.)

Article I: The Contracting Parties confirm that genocide, whether committed in time of peace or in time of war, is a crime under international law which they undertake to prevent and to punish.

Article II: In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such ...(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group.

Article IV: Persons committing genocide or any of the other acts enumerated in article III shall be punished, whether they are constitutionally responsible rulers, public officials or private individuals.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Dude, we know.

The world has made up its mind on that question already; pretty amusing to hear you demand it be answered again though.

Because that's the name given to a specific law? Does it matter what you call it?

You mean a quasi-communist commune didn't have a temple? No way!!! I wonder why? I guess the kibbutz founders weren't really Jews then?

What "problem" exactly are we talking about?

As far as I can tell, Dr. Jay was only clarifying the way the drug works. He repeatedly said that he wasn't condoning the action regardless of the details.

12. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF are you talking about?

13. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    You can be Jewish and not be religious. Pretty clear to me.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You may have missed guignol's post, as it was a response to someone other than you, but this is what he said...

"...and russian jews who... create in only a few years an organized crime problem the likes of which israel had never seen before and even form neo-nazi groups..."

I believe this is the problem he's referring to. If he's mistaken, you would know and you'd be right to say so. If he's right, I'm really, really, really hoping you didn't ignore his post because of personal ties to the faith or to Russia.

This dancing is beneath you. It's not a team sport. What Israel's done here is unconscionable, and it's equally so for anyone to be doing anything but saying that, over and again. Belonging to a faith doesn't give you a responsibility to defend its more odious actions.

Umar repped this.
  15. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Completely agree with the rest of your post. But it's important to note that this wasn't Judaism doing this. It was israeli Zionists who just happened to be Jews. And the victims were Jews too.

Boloni86 and Moishe repped this.
  16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do understand that. Hope the words I used don't confuse anyone else.

17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I find many of the responses to his post confusing, as they seem to be reading much more into it while also ignoring the fact that he said the actions were morally reprehensible.

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Then perhaps you can clarify the following for me. Are the Ethiopian Jews accepted by the rest as fully Jewish, or is that level of membership restricted to only those who fit into a particular ethnicity?

19. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's stupid. You can't be part of a religion and at the same time not believe that God exists. It's a full on contridiction.

20. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Maybe this article from 2007 will help in answering that.
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3480010,00.html

Unlike me, Ynet is not known for its "i h8 izrael" stance so the article is worth reading even if you dislike my POV.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If you think of it as the Church of Shoal Creek or Augusta National rather than a church dedicated to worship of a deity, it may make more sense.

I'm waiting for confirmation from either Nicephoras or Yasik on that...

22. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You only need to look to our country and our treatment of Christians of other flavors for the answer to that one.

23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You couldn't be wronger.

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't know about this site, so I'm not sure what to type here. But your POV will be a hell of a lot more tolerable if it turns out that this actually is the reality for non-ethnic Jews in Israel.

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fully aware of that. But we're spending men and money propping these folks up in the ME. I'm really trying to find some other reason --almost any reason-- than race or culture for this to have happened because I'd rather not conclude that we'd be better off allowing them to be driven into the sea.