Is US celebrating arrogant and over the top?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by MRAD12, Aug 5, 2012.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    New Zealand coach has some comments about US celebrations and choreographed dances after goals and wins.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olymp...aphy-annoys-zealand-coach-164229134--oly.html

I have no problems with goal celebrations or wins that are kept in check. It is a happy moment.

However...I have voiced my annoyance at Pia jumping up and down when we score against a Central American team after already leading 13-0. It shows disrespect to the game and your opponent.

Maybe the US should wait till they win the Gold then do their routine. But for now doing all that over-the-top stuff is unneccesary and IMO disrespectful and I don't blame other coaches with getting annoyed. You don't see anone else doing it. Just my opinion. What do you guys think?

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem with any of the goal celebrations I've seen so far this Olympics. Some have been fun & lighthearted. Some have been emotional & obviously joyful. The US is not the only team to celebrate goals together. Lots of teams across time have celebrated goals. It's part of the sport. The NZ coach's complaints sound more like sour grapes to me.

The cartwheel celebration in honor of the US gymnastics gold medal winners.

ag nigrin and jackiesdad repped this.
  3. katie14

katie14 Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ohio
    Sounds like sour grapes to me as well. I think the girls are having fun and enjoying themselves and if that's the case then go for it. Sure if you are the team who just conceded the goal it can be upsetting (ex: the US team remembered Norways goal celebration in the 95 WWC and used it for fuel for years to come) but it's part of the game.

Until FIFA says something then I think it's fine. Honestly I think it's pretty fun and funny to watch :)

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    This is pretty funny from a guy who's team does the Haka whenever they can, including this Olympics in the Cameroon match.
    [​IMG]
    FIFA won't let the men do it because it is too provocative.

Celebrations are nothing new and the USA didn't invent them. Perhaps the most famous was Norway's conga line when they beat the USA in 1995, which motivated the 91ers. They figured out the best way to stop celebrations is to beat the other guy.

Sweden has their stupid little dance:
    [​IMG]

Brasil has their Samba version:
    [​IMG]

But I guess ther is nothing more provocative that Rapinoe holding up a happy birthday message, doing a team celebration to get the keeper involved on her birthday, or doing in-your-face cartwheels.

Really?

DynamoEAR, Bees Knees, ag nigrin and 3 others repped this.
  5. Reallyoldnorth

Mar 7, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The group hugs, and the big smiles, and congrats to the player scoring the goal are fine. I can definitely do without some of the celebrations I've seen lately. Honestly, I thought the worm thing was juvenile.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Not arrogant although I think some have been over the top. New Zealand has no room to complain though.

7. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have any problem with goal celebrations, I think they just add some humor in the game due to the fact the US try to make them as cheesy as possible. Like everyone else has said, girls just wanna have fun!! ;)

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Walter Payton after scoring a touchdown just handed the ball back to the referee. No dancing, no shuffle, no showing up the opponent. - act like you've been there before.
    - now that's class.

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Walter Payton got his kicks beating the bejeesus out of people on the way there.

10. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    The New Zealand coach must hate these guys:

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  11. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    The cartweels were absolutely hilarious. The act like you have been there before mentality is good for sports where scoring is a common thing. In soccer, goals are relatively rare events so a creative celebration helps to keep things light and memorable. There would be no complaints if some of these other teams were as good as USWNT. If I recall correctly Japan was celebrating like they had won a 100 million in the lotto after barely escaping with PK in the 2011 WWC. No one said anything to them. If other sides want the celebrations to stop then don't let us score.

12. fcobbina

fcobbina Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love celebrations in any sport, as long as there's no taunting of the opponent (mocking celebrations excluded). If you don't want to see the other team celebrate, don't let them score.

13. bissell

bissell Member

Apr 3, 2012
    I think the NZ coach probably thinks that USA (and probably himself too) knew that they got NZ in the bag, so any celebrations is a "ha-ha, I'm beating you" taunt because USA is #1. However, with what happened during the 2011 WC qualifiers, I doubt USA would overlook any opponent, regardless of ranking, so I do think USA is just having fun and really celebrating the fact that they got a goal.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahahaha

Thanks for the pic, Cliveworshipper. I'd missed that the NZ team did the Haka. The NZ coach needs to stfu w/ his complaints about cartwheels.

15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps the NZ coach's comment is just one colony supporting another. (I know, I'm a little out of date.) Great trash talking by the Canuck and Kiwi coaches.

It's win-win for me. I want the USA to win, but I like Canada too. Three University of Portland friends on the field together makes me happy!

16. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    No team should apologize for the way they choose to celebrate a goal or a win even if they're taunting to opponents, it's part of the game. If you don't want it to happen, then don't lose.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I don't like taunting on this stage. Maybe if you're playing a team owned by cancerous taurine pusher it might be funny to mime spitting the drink out, but I don't like taunting during International events.

18. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Well, sitruc. How would you define taunting? Where is the line between a meaningful celebration and taunting?

19. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    As a spectator, i see nothing wrong with it even if it's done at the expense of the team i'm supporting. Like i said, if you don't want to be taunted, don't allow the opponent to score or win.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hate that saying "if you don't want.....then don't let them score, if you don't want....then win the game", etc. Stupid saying in my book.

Maybe call me "Old School" if you want, but I say win with class and dignity.

JanBalk repped this.
  21. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    But as others have mentioned all teams have some sort of celebration that seems like taunting (including NZ), so why just concnetrate on the US.

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I mean all those that do it. Not just US.

That's just my opinion. It makes my skin crawl when I see NFL players taunting and doing dances and all that other bullsh_t.
    Back in the day Walter Payton never did it. Gayle Sayers never did it. Jim Brown never did it, etc., etc.

I guess it's a new world of "Hey look at me, I'm on youtube!"

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's only new world if every player back in the day did what Peyton did. But they didn't Peyton and Sayers were noteworthy in their lack of celebrations b/c most others did celebrate.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I have no problems with celebrations. I simply don't like taunting. I don't think that needs to be in the Olympics. I'm not including all celebrations as taunting though. Likewise, I don't know how some of you are choosing to define taunting. I think of taunting as more negative than celebratory. I would have a problem with someone doing an airplane into a couple of players. I may be on the fence with a simulated pick play celebration though.

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That was the era when it was becoming big to celebrate. Before their era, most didn't.