Is Tim Ream the deal?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by deuteronomy, Mar 22, 2010.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the central defense pool as I see it (including ages)

1) Bocanegra (32)
    2) Onyewu (29)
    3) Goodson (29)
    4) Ream (24)

--------
    In no order

Parkhurst (28)
    Cameron (26)
    Whitbread (28)
    Hines (23)
    Gonzalez (23)
    John (25)

2. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    So wait is Tim Ream the real deal holyfield? Or does he suck and should be put out to pasture? I have a hard time keeping up with the bi polar nature of big soccer on these things

3. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both, obviously.

4. Mestes

Mestes BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's inconsistent, which is not surprising considering he's playing in a great offensive league along side other average to below average defensive players.

5. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Ream is a serviceable player. However, it seems that people want him to be a world beater or a lost cause, when in reality he is neither.

6. Mestes

Mestes BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course that's not quite the point in a USA Men's forum. I think the question is, "Is he good enough to be an International?" In two years, I think he might be a "serviceable" player at the International level. Today he's neck and neck with a slow and aging, but cagey, central defender. It's not really about Tim Ream, who we should allow to grow and improve, as it is about our lack of choices at the position.

7. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Ream has played this season at a pretty high level, it's the Premier League after all. Bolton are not very good, and in danger of being relegated.

From what I've seen with Bolton it's kind of the same with the US, he's inconsistent, and still struggles as a lock down defender. Now, maybe he'll never be great but with our depth lacking and him coming off a season in the Premier League he's virtually a lock for the upcoming friendlies.

The jury is still out on Ream, but he's certainly back in the US picture.

8. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked at several of the highlights and some games and it is shocking that the kid starts for Bolton. His play is pretty bad, although he has stopped giving the ball away. However, he is still out of position on many of the goals, has gotten beat several times, and he has a classic expression of lifting his arms and looking around every time they score on him as if to say " it was not my fault"... to me means he is feeling guilty and knows he screwed up. I sure hope he does not get called up to the USMNT.

9. Cleats Up

Cleats Up Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Saint Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is BS! And I dont mean BigSoccer. You cant be serious with what you said. You are someone who has made up your mind about him, and will look for anything you can to make it seem like he just doesnt belong.

Is he perfect? No. Is he ready for top international competeition? Not yet. But let him grow as a player before you dismiss him as trash. Obviously he is doing something right, as greater soccer minds than yours see something in him. Nobody looks good when the other team is scoring a goal. Obviously it was all Reams fault, though, because you watched the highlights. Awesome job of breaking down the play.:sneaky:

You must think Adu is the next pele. You have seen his "highlights" right?

Namdynamo repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Bet the farm that he's included in the upcoming camp/friendies.

Once there it's up to him to impress the coaching staff. If he doesn't, Jurgen won't use him.

11. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a hater guys but I just do not see it. I guess I get a little frustrated when guys like Gonzo and his old teammate Miller did not even considered for the USMNT and Ream did...just dont see what some of you guys see.

12. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your favorite club was scouting Tim and wanted to buy him what's up with that?

13. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I am with you.

I don't think he is ready to start for the National Team. Can't think of one good match I have seen him play in a USA jersey at CB.

14. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ream has gone 90 or close to it in the following solid USMNT defensive performances:

1-0 over South Africa in November 2010
    1-1 with Chile in January 2011
    2-0 over Canada in 2011 Gold Cup

And those are all from the era in which the USMNT supposedly didn't play defense, so maybe he should get even more credit.

dwsmith1972, deuteronomy and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  15. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Just cause he went 90 in those games does not mean he was particularly impressive to me. I remember more of his faults than his solid play which is a very bad thing.

16. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    T'im, It's a good day to step forward and be the deal today. They don't get any bigger than this . . .

17. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    and Bolton is heading down.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Holden and Ream will play D2 next year, or do you guys think 1 or both will be sold?

19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end he played a good game.

The keeper let them on that first goal.

20. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most neutrals would probably agree that Bolton got screwed today. But that's the game.

I don't really see any scenario in which either player goes. Holden is too important and too indebted to BW to leave, and not even the silliest Premiership club is going to pay a fee for someone who hasn't played in a year-and-a-half. Ream just got there and, while he wasn't terrible considering the situation he came into, he didn't exactly cover himself in EPL glory over the last few months.

However, Bolton is a good club, Coyle is a good guy who believes in them; they could be in a much worse situation than this. If they bounce back up (they might have left themselves open too much in the top flight, but they have the potential to absolutely dominate the Championship), Holden and Ream will have a chance to challenge themselves in the Premiership for the season before Brazil.

Marko72 repped this.
  21. schwefumbler

schwefumbler Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Bolton fans watch entire games, and from what I've seen/heard/read, most of them disagree with your assessment.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Miller? His old teammate Roy Miller? That Miller? The Roy Miller from, and capped by, Costa Rica?

God, I hope so. You credibility was shot with your first post, and if this is the case, you are nearing the Hall of Fame for this site.

23. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Ream had a great year, but it was his first year in the Premiership, hopefully for Bolton not his last. I hope he stays with Bolton for a year in the nPower champ'ship as that will be a great challenge and tons of games against very good talent.

Personally I think he plays a bit too much zonal marking as opposed to getting on a body, but I don't know what he is instructed to do. We'll see how he develops next year, but he will play a good sized role in the summer for the USNT.

24. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    this... Championship will be great for him to be honest, and for Stu to get healthy. But ream, over and over, gets caught marking space and not his man. Though the crouch PK wasn't his fault, per se, crouch ran right past a standing ream. it happens too often for my liking.

regardless, great professional move for him, glad Coyle gave him a chance, and hope he continues to grow.

25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I get what you are saying, but if Ream moves with Crouch, there is a clear shot at goal by the guy with the ball. Ream, in this case marking the space is taking away a shot on goal. This was a case of too many bodies in the same spot.