Is Tim Ream the deal?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by deuteronomy, Mar 22, 2010.

1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think his contract is up until the end of either the 2012 or 2013 season. At that point he'll be 24/25. I think that would be a good time to make the move.

2. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To answer the OP: somewhere between not yet and no.

He certainly is a work in progress with a lot of promise.

3. royslist

royslist New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been unfortunate to me that Ream's reputation has been hurt in the Gold Cup. He definitely made a huge mistake versus Panama, and his defending definitely struggles time to time, but those critical errors he makes can be fixed with experience and coaching. A move to Europe would be great for him. Dutch or French leagues I think he'd be a good fit with a mid level team.

Was at the USA vs Canada game and Ream was splendid. He made a mistake in the 2nd half, but taking that away, he won a ridiculous % of balls in the air and with his feet. He was probably 2nd on the US in touches to Bradley in the first half, winning everything, and distributing to Bradley to start the "offense" going.

4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Not to belabor the point.

TR's problem is that the errors he is making, at club and country, are bad.
    Very similar to what Benny F did at Hamburg. He had the skill and savvy that showed he could hang, but he could never stop making the big/dumb error that lead to quality chances and goals by the opp. That's why he was in Denmark and now MLS instead of the Bliga.

TR made two terrible errors against Canada. Not one. He didn't get punished on either because it was Canada. He allowed three clear goal scoring chances for the opp in two matches because of careless/lazy/immature plays.

It doesn't matter how good his other attributes are, like Benny's, it's gotta stop, and you can' assume it will...like Benny.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda is the scrap heap on which the next future impact players are built. He doesn't make many but when he does...eek.

It will decide whether he is a decent player in a decent league, or an impact player in a good league.

It's gotta stop. Until then it will be the old "he's got time/no worries/he'll learn" cliches we love to bandy about here.

They don't think and act like that abroad...but we do here. Maybe that's why we have a team that looks so damn lethargic right now.

It's not about giving up on Tim, but it's not good enough for the GCup...it shouldn't be. Who cares about hurting his feelings. If he can't handle this and get stronger from this than guess what? He wasn't the answer anyway.

That's what it means to be a pro.

We still are learning that concept in soccer here.

If you are gonna get a shot in a legit comp you gotta produce.

5. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Sorry, this is just ridiculous.

Does TR need to get better? Yes. Does he get a ridiculous amount of scrutiny that no other CB receives? Yes.

At the end of the day, Ream is the real deal.

6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not getting that much scrutiny. There are very few posters (myself inlcuded) that are holding him to an incredibly high standard because we are looking for improvement in the CB position for the USMNT. Nothing more. Nothing less.

7. Superpippo

Superpippo Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Does anybody here think George John should be capped before he gets capped by Greece?

8. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    He gets far less than Gooch and more than Demerit. Demerit was a solid defender but didn't add much more to the game..But he could defend 1 v 1. Ream does alot of things better than Demerit ever could except defend 1 v 1.

My only critism of Ream is he can't defend 1 v 1 when matched against good forwards. so no matter how well he does everything else if he can't perform his primary duty, which is to defend, then he will always be limited against stiffer competition.

1 person likes this.
  9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Yes, I believe he should be called into the next available camp.

10. bnjamin10

bnjamin10 Member

Charlotte FC
    Jun 4, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim ream doesn't always make mistakes but when he does it is epic

11. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008

Agree to disagree re the level of scrutiny. There have been plenty of mistakes by each of our CBs in this GC, including boca (e.g. 1st couple of minutes v Guadeloupe). It will be interesting to see when other young CBs get into the mix how much scrutiny they get compared to TR.

I hear your point re: the high standard you are holding him to; it feels like sone confuse a high standard with perfection. And by confusing the two, those people are going to be perpetually disappointed.

12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

Yes.

I just don't want this BS rumor to start that there are tons of people crapping on his play. There aren't. There are a few posters (myself included) holding him to an incredibly high standard. Almost everyone recognizes his flaws and that he is a work in progress. You could count on one hand the people that have been highly critical of his play.

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the level of scrutiny that's the problem with Zoidberg, it's the silly notion that Ream is unable to improve.

Anyway:

1) Jamaica's second best chance of the day came when Lichaj blew an offside trap, a continuing problem for him.

2) Their third best chance of the day came when Boca cleared the ball directly up the middle of the penalty area, a continuing problem for him.

Each of those gaffes is as big/worse than anything Ream displayed against Canada or Spain.

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree with this.

Again, I'm holding all our young defenders to high standards because I don't just want to see replacements on the back line as the old guard gets phased out. I want to see improvement in the quality of our defenders.

Question: Do you think any of our young defenders will become better than Gooch, Boca, Dolo in their primes? If so, which ones?

15. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ream, Chandler and - please let him be moved back to central defense - Geoff Cameron.

John maybe. Omar, no (slow feet). Wynne, no.

Not sure about Lichaj. I think Brek Shea could be a world class left back, but he'll need 3 years of playing there.

Kitchen, no way. Franklin, no way. White, I doubt it. Opara yes if he stays healthy.

Who am I forgetting?

16. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not that impressed with Eric Lichaj, although he has been adequate/servicable here. What's your take on him?

17. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lichaj has locked down the left back spot. I don't see anyone close to taking it from him right now...

18. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me in as another one who agrees with you here.

19. Superpippo

Superpippo Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Found the left back the US is looking for:

Kellyn ACOSTA, the left back of the U17 NT playing against Czech Rep. in this moment. He is born in 1995, so that makes him 16. He is real quality. I would try to integrate him into the full squad ASAP. Bergomi was 17 when Italy won in 1982.

1 person likes this.
  20. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looks really REALLY good today.

21. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, Cap him now, repped . . .

22. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spector still counts as a young defender. . . if he still counts as a defender.

Agbossomounde

23. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's serviceable at right back, but seems to have lost a step or two since 2009, and wasn't that fast to begin with.

Never been a fan. Hope to be proven wrong, but I think he's the second coming of Goodson at best.

24. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa