Is Stanley Matthews One Of Top 20 Greatest Ever

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Dearman, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    But what does exist is match reports covered by the magazine of El Grafico.

2. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    It is no coincidence that these two were voted by Argentine journalists as Argentina’s greatest ever players, once in 1978 for Moreno, and then in the ‘90s for Maradona.

3. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Correction: Moreno was voted in 1980 by journalists as the greatest Argentine player in the history.

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    and ... that was BEFORE Maradona showcase in WC86 ... :cool:

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's the other thing. When I was a kid one of my uncles had a storage shed in his backyard and in it there was a collection of El Grafico Magazines from the old days. He never threw them away. Since reading and soccer are two of my biggest passions, I used to "get lost" in his shed for hours, reading one Grafico after another. It was a gold mine of Argentine's soccer past. I would memorize the qualifications they gave to the players, the diagrams of the goals, all the great stuff they used to do.

And yeah, they had great praise for Charro Moreno and his teammates. As much as I hated River, I have to admit that back in the 40s and early 50s they were the sensation, the Pep's Barcelona of their time.

6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    wow that was a good "treasure" you had there ...

I am not that "old" to have seen those types of magazines. However, I can tell with the "good and ugly" of Internet (kinda) news, I missed the older "magazines" that was written much better than some "blogs" internet now aday ... (purely media biased and/or lacked of good backgorund and analysis)

7. United_xxx

United_xxx Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Thailand
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Off-topic !
    Vegan10 I have come across this youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/R9godmagic
    which is very interesting and creative.

I know that you have many Maradona videos. Is it possible to make videos of Maradona versus teams in your youtube channel.

8. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011

It’s possible as long as it’s not a copyright infringement. Bear in mind though, that a lot of what is available on video of Maradona seems to be on YouTube already.

But what I plan to do, as I’ve stated in the past, is create a similar thread like the one that exists of Johan Cruyff, and if there’s any videos of matches that haven’t been already put on YouTube, then I would add it onto my channel for historical reference. But I will need to put that on hold since I’m still finishing with Cruyff’s reports at Barcelona, and I still need to address some info of Maradona in his early years, which I’m still missing, and I plan to go away next month on vacation so this will delay some of my progress.

But once I‘ve finished with all of the above, I will take on that task.

9. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[This has always been the point that I was trying to make w/Matthews when rating him in any "A-T" category/list...]

10. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Agreed, if Matthews had played in an era w/a a more modern transfer/player retention system; he would've been out the door at Blackpool or Stoke for the greener pastures of an Arsenal, Chelsea or Man. City like a shot IMHO.]

11. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Uruguay also weren't the defending world champions from the '50 WC for nothing IMHO...]

12. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  13. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    nah.. here are 20 players better then matthews in random order.

di stefano, cruyff, pele, puskas, maradona, beckenbauer, maldini, yashin, best, eusebio, platini, charlton, garincha, kopa, zico, zidane, neeskens, matthaues, moore, didi, van hanegem

matthews was a rightwinger. i rate for his position garincha, best (who could play either wing) jairzinho and johnstone higher then matthews.
    that makes him in my book the 5th best rightwinger ever. impossible to rate amongst the 20 best players ever.

14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Matthews is better than Jonhstone (never heard of him) and Jairzinho, who is extremely overrated. Best played primarily on the left wing. Garrincha is definitely the #1 right winger of all time.

15. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    wow you never heard of the flea ?/ jimmy johnstone. if you never heard of him how can you say that matthews is better ??
    johnstone was the scottish equivalent of george best. played for the great celtic side of the late 60'ies early 70'ies with whom he won the championsleague in 1967 and reached the finals in 1970.
    that was a great side and johnstone was a very talented player.

further more george best did not primairily play on the left. he played manny manny matches on the right.

as for jairzinho being overrated ?? why ?? in 1966 he did his best on the leftwing as garincha played right. and the left was difficult for jairzinho. in 70 he did extremely well in the wc for his clubs he also did quit good.
    for a winger he has quit a high game/goal ratio so why is he overrated ??

16. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Johnstone was as good as Matthews, shouldn't he be better known? As for Jairzinho, he specialized in tap-ins at WC70, and could not help the team get past the group stage at WC66. He should not be listed as a top five right winger or all time, there have been a few who were better.

17. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    you don't know him that doesn't mean no one knows him.
    this only shows that you lack a certain amount of knowledge on the history and the great teams/players from the past.
    i think in europe most people with knowledge on the game know who jimmy johnstone is.

18. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't believe I am the only one who does not know him. However, that was not my point, it's more like building a consensus, a wisdom of the masses a la Wikipedia, in which Jonhstone is not ranked higher than Matthews. For instance, I don't rate Beckenbauer as top ten simply because I have a hard time placing a defensive player so high in an all-time list, however, he is usually seen as one of the top seven players of all time, so I will acknowledge that view when making a general list (as opposed to a personal one).

19. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Wasnt Jairzinho more of a forward or attacking midfielder at club level rather than a winger anyways? At least that is what I have been told.
    About the bolded part, it is a false statement imo.

20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Please NEVER mention about tap-in goals when you rated Rossi (6tap ins in WC82) as a great performance all time. At least Jaizinho scored in EVERY GAME 7/6games at WC from game 1 to final. Rossi just rode on his LUCK with the Italy solid defense (nearly caught knocked out in group_ with 3 ties and 2goals scored).

Your comment is alwyas missing something (back gorund or facts)!

Jaizinho was ONLY 21 at WC66 and he did rather good (2 assists/3games) before they exit the group - thanks to the CHOPPING OFF Pele from the team.

21. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Jairzinho scored tap-ins in the 1970 WC? WOW!!!! Here's someone who hasn't seen the 1970 WC. Jairzinho scored some the best individual goals of that WC, including two in which he started his run from midfield. During one goal, he dribbled past 3-4 players and scored. He was fantastic in that WC and is indeed one of the top wingers ever.

22. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In any event, most of his goals came when the match had been decided, except against England.

Jairzinho's performance can't touch Rossi's, he was just a cog in the machine whereas Rossi reached a level very few players achieve.

23. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    pipiolo please if you want to b taken seriously then stop thsi asslicking admiring of rossi.
    he was a good striker who happened to have a peak form and some luck at WC 1982 nothing else.
    paolo rossi probably isn't ranked amongst the 20 best strikers ever by anyone with a reasonable objective view on fotball

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Rossi WC82 > Jairzinho WC70, there is nothing you can say to disprove it.

25. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Finney also scored more than a handful of goals for England, FA XIs and the like because opposition 'keepers and defenders were frightened lifeless of Matthews. He pulled the opposition's attention and numbers over to his side of the pitch which opened up Finney's "barnstorming" off-the-ball runs in from the opposite flank.

BTW, I COMPLETELY rate Finny as a legend of the game...]

PDG1978 repped this.