Is Ryan Meara ready for the challenge? The next Tim Howard?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Elvis Minaya, Feb 26, 2012.

?

How do you rate Ryan Meara?

1. He's going to be our goalkeeper for the entire 2012 season.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. He'll be the real Tim Howard's successor.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. He is not as good as people think he is and will struggle a lot.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. He'll go to Europe in 2/3 years for a lot of cash.

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Elvis Minaya

Elvis Minaya Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Valparaiso, Chile
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    We all know that Ryan came to the Red Bulls with a very good reputation. It somehow reminds me when Timmy Howard got the job after Tony Meola was traded to KC I think. We all thought that Tim was "the man" for the job though he was very young back then. My question is, do you think Ryan Meara is ready for the starting job with the Bulls? The game vs Pumas FC was crusial I think. Ryan did an excellent job and kept us in the game the whole time. He looked very secured and that is exactly what we need at this particular time. After Timmy left to Europe we havent had a REAL goalkeeper . A keeper where we can put our hopes and go home happy. I think we are in front of a very goalkeeper and we need to support him even went he goes through some dark waters. He is going to get a reality check in each game he plays this season. I hope we dont have to go back to what we experienced last year. Now, how long it will take for the "european missiles" to aim at Ryan? I hope he stays away from it at least for a few years. We need a dicent goalkeeper and why not him? I believe the outcome will be a good one for all. Welcome Ryan Meara to the New York Red Bulls.

2. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have seen him play one game and now you want to compare him to Tim Howard and worry about him going to Europe. Can you cool your jets please? Another overreaction like usual. I think we have all been impressed by Meara and Vuolo and at this point we would be comfortable with one of them being the starter. But chill with the expectations.

And we haven't had a real gk since Howard left? I guess all those time Jonny Walker stood on his head for us slipped your memory. And Meola's decent second run too. Sure we've seen the likes of Cepero, Conway, and Bouna stink up the joint but Jonny Walker was the man.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Jonny Walker was a very good goalkeeper for the Metro.

4. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Johnny who:

I like what I see of Meara and I think that Backe will haven't time to find a Europa sub for him before the summer brake, and at the time he get one he will realise that Meara is our man and live it at that....

5. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

Do people here even follow the team. How the hell could anyone forget the awesomeness that was Jonny Walker?

6. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up there with the most underrated Metrostars of all time

7. badideas

badideas Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Seriously? After one game? Also looked to me like he gave up some soft rebounds, which is a killer in a league built on Conor Casey-type poacher strikers.

Also as a side note, I think the GK spot was yet another thing Backe made a joke of last season. Neither Bouna nor Sutton were really that terrible--they just made a few bad mistakes. Certainly nothing that warranted wasting a DP spot on a GK. Interested to see the young guys develop though.

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree with you to a point here. Neither of them could distribute the ball. The DP came in and was dropping it 70 yds onto a friendly shirt's foot. It was rather amazing to watch him put the ball where he wanted it.

9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's impossible to rate the guy until I've seen him in a meaningful game.

it's impossible to ACCURATELY rate the guy until I've seen him in a few meaningful games.

I would guess that he's very talented, but will make some errors in his first season. No idea if this will be his first season or if Vuolo will get the nod.

10. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    C'mon man, Bouna and Sutton were both mediocre at best. Bouna was at least a decent shot stopper but was horrendous in literally every single other aspect of goalkeeping (aerial presence, positioning, decision making, distribution). Sutton was just plain mediocre across the board and was capable of some truly awful games (remember away at Seattle?).

Its true that the situation was not handled very well last year and I think they overpaid for Rost, but that doesn't change the fact neither Bouna or Sutton were a reliable long term answer as our starting keeper.

11. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    A big part of what a good, veteran keeper brings is organization of the defense. He literally directs everyone else in front of him. That is a skill that it is hard to develop quickly. Maybe Meara will have good instincts in that area that help him, but he'll still have to earn the respect of his more experienced teammates. I'm not saying that is impossible, it is a challenge he'll have to overcome.

There is also the general experience factor. Younger players in general tend to have a narrower range of experience, and for young keepers that is in large part knowing (or not knowing) all the things that can go horribly wrong in a game. Knowing how to deal with these events will make him a better keeper, but there is very little he can do to shortcut the learning process.

Against a well-matched opponent, so often it is the mistakes that define the moments of separation, making the difference between winning and losing. Not having gone through that already means we have to rely on him to make naturally good decisions every time. That's a tall order for a young keeper, a lot of pressure. I'd rather wait to anoint him until he's a had a chance to learn a little. If he were playing behind a stacked defense, that we knew based on past experience was money, it would be different. But since the keeper is expected to be part of the rebuilding process, a young one, even a good one, is a risk.

12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need more reserve games.

Guys coming right out of college or the academy need to be able to make a smoother transition and suit up against somewhere near the talent they'll be seeing at MLS level.

Otherwise we'll have guys like Meara making rookie mistakes in meaningful games.

13. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    My point is that Bouna and Sutton made more than their share of "rookie mistakes" despite their experience. Bouna diving to the ground a full 2 seconds before the ball reaches him against Chicago or dropping the corner kick against San Jose, Sutton fumbling the ball at his feet against Seattle...

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh sure. I don't disagree with this. I just wish we were in a situation where either:

1. Vuolo was clearly outplaying Meara right now.
    2. Meara had a season or two of reserve time under his belt.
    3. We had a veteran keeper.

We have a pretty decent roster though so I can't complain too much.

15. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Making a mistake in a pressure situation, like trying to catch when you should have punched, I can understand. Making brain farts, unforced errors, on the other hand, at least in large quantity, is what is inexcusable. Good keepers are steady, even if they don't always make the spectacular plays. Great keepers give you both. Bouna especially was guilty of way too many unforced errors, and a lot of mediocre play, although he occasionally did something spectacular.

16. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A very good debut for Meara. Couldn't do much on the two goals but he made a ton of nice saves to keep us in the game. Took command of the penalty box by getting the crosses and showed some communication with the defenders. Good with the ball at his feet too. I like what I have seen so far. Him and Vuolo make me feel comfortable with our gk situation. But at the same time lets not get ahead of ourselves. He is still a 21 year old rookie.

17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meara was very good considering how green he is.

However (and I hate to say this), it's damn near impossible to win anything with a 21 year old goalkeeper.

He might be steady all season, but as Backe said, he's not a guy who is going to make the spectacular save. If you're going to win hardware you need a few of those.

I do think he'll be capable of the spectacular after a few seasons. He looks like the real deal to me.

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

Look who's in first place.

19. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I said "damn near" impossible and not "entirely" impossible.

I might also add that his resume is a little better.

20. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Gonna totally derail this thread for a second, but it was absolutely ridiculous how the English media tried to put down De Gea in his first few weeks at Utd when he was putting up the best goalkeeping stats in the league.

21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Howard can tell you all about how great the English media is.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Peter Schmeichel gets better with each and every game past his retirement.

23. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meara had a better game than Zac McMath.

24. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I don't think any keepers in the league had a worse game than MacMath

25. Ilvinotinto

Ilvinotinto Member

Apr 8, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Meara no question has talent. Should he be the keep all season ? absolutely not! You need a veteran there who has the know how to keep your team in the game. Meara has only had one professional level game and there will be plenty to come.

college soccer is played at a much slower pace than MLS and he definately has not seen yet what great teams can do to a young keeper like him. Teams will test him out , mid range shots, will change sides on him to see if he gives up bounces, once they figure out his positioning they will exploit it.

Im not saying the kid can not put a good solid season , what I am saying is that the odds are against him. At this moment we are experimenting with an unproven midfield and backline, why experiment with a keeper?

After couple of season with Backe why do we need to do so much experimenting? Did we all forget how much we criticized Osorio for putting a different lineup at every game? Watch how Backe will start making adjustments on the got in the attempt to save his job.

Listen Very carefully to what Thierry Henry says. " I dont know why we cant execute", What is it they cant execute?

clearing balls, playing from deep, controling pace of the game, set pieces.

sounds familiar? I guess Backe hasnt figured it out yet.

I know its early but If Henry is already being reminded of last season something must be really wrong and bringing 1 DP is not going to solve it.