Is Riquelme the most overrated South American?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by laudrup_10, Aug 24, 2013.

1. laudrup_10

laudrup_10 Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Really, how great was he? there's been a plethora of South American star's that have succeeded, failed and performed well both in club and national stages.
    I'd like to see results! Neutral fan's are more than welcome...

2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    no idea who this Riquelem is

but your agenda is pretty clear

for the record the most overrated south american ever is Pele closely followed by Maradona

Pipiolo repped this.
  3. laudrup_10

laudrup_10 Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Wow quick response! Roman Riquelme is an Argentine player who played for Boca Junior's and Villareal.

4. laudrup_10

laudrup_10 Member

Jun 6, 2011
    For the record why Maradona and Pele?

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I think he was as sarcastic as you are .... no???

condor11 repped this.
  6. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
  7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Leo Messi is more overrated. He played for Barcelona.

condor11 repped this.
  8. FROADS

FROADS Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Riquelme, in his prime, could have been the best 10 in the world next to ronaldinho had it not been for his personality. I personally think he's a better all around playmaker than xavi, iniesta or anyone in Europe. He controls the tempo from the midfield onwards and does it with much determination; he likes to force plays at times but that's his quality. Rarely does he disappear from games because he's essentialy the focal point of creation within the team (Boca).

You'd have to watch him often to respect his style of play because there haven't been too much like him. He's not overrated in South America because his career over here is gold; in Europe he had a good little run in Villareal but ultimately failed expectations for a motive that's probably closer to personal issues as opposed to his skill. Other than that, this thread is pointless.

puertorricane and leadleader repped this.
  9. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just stupid.

The person who was stupid enough to create this thread, obviously, has only seen a handful of Riquelme's games, and now thinks he's the expert on all things Riquelme. It's quite childish and stupid, if you asked me.

For the record, that same person who thinks Riquelme is overrated, also happens to think that Zidane is not overrated. He is now looking for "neutral" fans who agree with him. I mean, it's clear that he is the most neutral person in this forum, by far.

I'm glad he created this thread, it shows his real colors, even if said colors were extremely obvious without this thread.

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    One thing that must be said for Riquelme is that he was the second best #10 at WC06, behind Zidane, and better than Ronaldinho, Totti, Nedved, Fabregas, Ballack, Rooney, etc. Being among the top WC performers in their position is an argument that I see many posters make here for other players such as Rivaldo, Laudrup, Stojkovic, Bergkamp, Messi, etc. but somehow seem to forget it for Riquelme.

zenden and Luis Suarez repped this.
  11. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #11 leadleader, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    If anyone wants to look for overrated players, you might want to start with the following names,

Zinedine Zidane

Zidane is so overrated, that a pair of idiots who consider themselves "journalists", actually implied that Romario was in the same class as Ibrahimovic, whilst at the same time, these "journalists" went on to say that Zidane was in the same class as Maradona and Pele..... Now that is an overrated player.

No "neutral" fan of football would ever mention Zidane in the same breath as Maradona or Pele. I am pretty sure that Zidane himself would be embarrassed by such a comparison. In fact, Zidane himself has said, that he never thought he was ever the best player in the world.

As far as I know, nobody is saying that Riquelme is in the same class as Maradona and Cruijff, Riquelme fans generally place him in the same category as Zidane and Rivaldo, yet people like you still think that Riquelme is overrated.

Other notable mentions in the "overrated" department, in my opinion, include,

Andres Iniesta

Ronaldo

Sebastian Veron

Kaka

David Beckham

Doesn't mean that they weren't very good players, but I do think their reputations were bigger than what their actual ability on the pitch would deserve.

12. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #12 s7kru, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    Lol Zidane overrated

those who find him overrated reached a whole new level of stupidity and is completely deluded.

Zidane is one of the best 10s ever in football history.

13. laudrup_10

laudrup_10 Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Right, I would actually take each of the above player's over Riquelme any day of the week, each played/plays and proved themselves in the best leagues against the best players on a consistent level. A good Intercontinental cup match, a match that Palermo is awarded 'Man of the match' and you're all over his nuts.
    Ofcourse strong and valid point's are brought up to answer your argument and you resort to presumptous comment's posted below...

What a retard.

14. FROADS

FROADS Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    If i had to pick between Zidane and Riquelme for the 10 position in a fantasy team, i'd choose Riquelme. See there's no denying that Zidane had world class technique with the ball at his feet, but Riquelme's talent is far more than on the ball skill. Riquelme runs the offensive outset by his pure demeanor; in every single game that I've seen him play he actually gets more touches on the ball than any player on the field, again, every single game that i've seen him play. Can you say that about Zidane? No. What i'm trying to say is that Riquelme takes over games far more than Zidane ever did, and is still doing it in his mid 30s.

Riquelme's an unquestionable leader. He doesn't even need to yell at his teammates like most caps, if theyre messing up he just gives them a stare and then they follow. Zidane didn't have that trait, can u imagine him yelling at Figo and Ronaldo or Roberto Carlos, telling them to focus? Riquelme is an on the field manager moving his pieces towards what he deems best.

But the downside about Riquelme, like every genius, is often troubled. His influence is so strong that winning coaches had to get sacked if they didn't appease his feelings. Teams are built around him, not the other way around.

Of course, Zidane was a great player...he probably could've played any position in midfield because of his vision and skill. Riquelme couldn't probably play any other position because he's slow and is relatively null on defense, but the only position that he could play resulted in the full absorption of all of his faculties to which he employs far more better than Zidane ever did.

Riquelme is not the better player in overall terms, but he's a far better playmaker.

zenden and leadleader repped this.
  15. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Riquelme was as good as xavi far from overrated, is too bad he spent his best years playing with average teammates. If he was in his prime today the biggest beneficiary would be messi and argentina heading into next years world cup. Maradona shouldve picked him for last world cup he wouldve helped a lot and freed up messi to do the goal scoring instead of the play making.

[]__[]

Pipiolo and leadleader repped this.
  16. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Your limited literary skills certainly make you someone, who might be associated with the concept of stupidity. I certainly think that you are indeed, stupid. I must say.

Zidane is one of the best 10s ever? Of course. Was Zidane ever comparable to Maradona or Pele? No. Do Zidane fans mention Zidane in the same class as Maradona? Yes. Therefore, Zinedine Zidane is overrated.

But I guess you are just too stupid to understand my point.

Which again just shows how narrow-minded you are. You just don't get Roman Riquelme. Fair enough. What makes you a particularly biased and clueless person, is the fact that you use your subjective and flawed understanding of the game, as an argument against Riquelme.

Riquelme proved himself against the best players of his time: Luis Figo, Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho. What else do you expect from him?

Oh that's right. Sebastian Veron is a player who you think was "clearly" better than Riquelme. Oh well, I guess somebody must be wrong here.

NOTE

Yes: Palermo was "man of the match". Only a completely delusional mor@n would actually believe such a thing.

Strong and valid points? Certainly. I have never used my subjective understanding of the game, against Zinedine Zidane or any other player. I am not saying that Riquelme was better than Zidane. I am saying that Zidane was overrated, and he was, and a lot of people do happen to agree with me, so certainly, I am not alone in observing such a patently obvious fact.

I guess Frank Lampard is another one of those players who you would pick over Riquelme. I mean, seeing how you actually are narrow-minded enough to select David Beckham over Riquelme; again, how does that change the fact that David Beckham was overrated?

Your distorted sense of logic, makes absolutely no sense. Being overrated, and you thinking that the "overrated" player is better than Y player, does not change the fact that the "overrated" player is indeed overrated. Riquelme in 2000 never had anywhere near the level of publicity that David Beckham had, and obviously, the mentioned publicity had absolutely nothing to do with Beckham being the better player.

In other words: being overrated, and you thinking that the "overrated" player is better than Y player, are completely unrelated matters. I don't care if you think Beckham was better than Riquelme, the fact still is that Beckham was overrated: get it? A fairly simple argument, yet one, that you appear to be too mind-numbingly-biased to comprehend.

Wow. That really shows a lot of maturity on your part: "what a retard". Great response, to what was an actual fact, that most philosophers and journalists of our time generally agree with: the mentioned fact being, that the USA and Europe are heading down the toilet, primarily due to a bad education system, this was not intended as an insult towards Europeans, but merely as a confirmation that Europe does seem to be as bad the US, in that only a minority of people are capable of mature and well informed arguments. Your lack of sophistication and objectivity, only reinforces what is being said about Europe in the US.

And for the record, if you think such childish insults have any effect on me, I'm sorry to disappoint you but I think you are nothing but a disrespectful and biased mor@n, and I could not care less about whatever it is that you think of me. I defend myself against insults, but you will never see me insulting another human being just because that other person does not rate a certain football player as highly as I do. Having said that, I have absolutely no problem with insulting people who deserve to the insult.

You have been offensive towards me, before I even knew who you were. Certainly, something I said, must have gotten to you. What was it?

Was it when I said that Europeans are more narrow-minded when it comes to rating football players? Was it when I posted a youtube video of Carlos Valderrama? Was it when I said that Zidane was overrated? When was it, that you decided that you disliked me, for reasons that were unknown to me?

As far as I know, you started by insulting me right from the get-go, and I had absolutely no idea about why the animosity, I mean, I had never actually directed a single word at you, yet the first time you responded to me you insulted me. Why?

Please answer the question, instead of simply insulting me yet again. My insults towards you are well justified, due to the simple principle of cause and effect: you insulted me even though I had never said anything wrong or right to you, I insulted you back because I felt offended by what was an unjustified attack on my integrity. I would like to know what was it, exactly, that made you feel entitled to insult me, just because you felt your insults were justified. Again: just answer the question, instead of merely insulting me yet again.

By the way, I am not affected at all by your mindless insults, but I just want to know the cause of it, as I think I deserve an explanation as to why. I have demanded an answer at least five times, and never have you offered an actual answer. Again: just answer the question, and don't use insults to answer such a simple question. Thank you in advance, kind sir.

17. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Zidane is comparable to Maradona and Pele.

He won the World Cup in 98' and his country reached the final of the World Cup in 2006 mainly because of him. Denying that is either being stupid or deluded.

18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Zidane's 06 was much better than his 98. Yes, he scored the goals in 98 but he wasn't that figure he was in 06. In 98 he got a red for stomping on a player in the second group game, France struggled to beat Paraguay, went to PK's vs Italy, had to come back to beat Croatia when Thuram scored the only 2 goals of his INT career. He wasn't on the level of Maradona by any means and I like Zidane.

And LOL at this thread. Had the manager at FCB had half brain he would've played Riquelme at the proper position. He carried a Villarreal team to the semis of the CL.

Pipiolo and leadleader repped this.
  19. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm not saying he is better than Maradona or Pele, but I do think he is in their class.

But anyway, moving on.

Riquelme was a great player, and I'm still regretting that I never watched him live.

20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Zidane might be in their class generally speaking, but Maradona and Pele are undoubtedly the greater players.

21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Second this, Pele Maradona were surely TOP10 best material
    Zidane even in his best form was not a TOP10 material by natural talent, probably TOP20

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You still can, you know, if you can make it to Argentina. He's playing tomorrow and through this season, and probably longer.

Moishe and Dr. Know repped this.
  23. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    To be honest, while it was relatively short-lived, for his first 2-3 years at Villareal Riquelme was easily top 10, at times pushing for top 3 (as Henry, and as you said, Ronaldinho, were playing on a different level around that time).

24. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    I will not deny Riquelme's talents or that he had an outstanding career.
    I often hear nobody splits the waters quite like him, either you love him or you hate him... His annoying high maintenance personality or the fact that he is so much identifiable with Boca Juniors might have a lot to do with this. Personally, I thought Pablo Aimar was better.

25. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    The game really changed as his era came to a close. Creativity started to mainly come in from the wings and games began to be played at a much more demanding pace never seen before (his style, by contrast, was more lackadaisical). That played a role in explaining why he never achieved a great deal of success in Europe and in the World Cup. The game evolved and he was a throwback to a bygone era.

laudrup_10 and JamesBH11 repped this.