Is MLS future in medium sized cities?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by okcomputer, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    With the announcement of San Antonio tonight, it makes me wonder if MLS isnt better off putting teams in medium sized markets that don't have MLB to compete against. Columbus has always been solid and Salt Lake looks like they have a really good chance to do well also. It seems in many of the major markets where MLS has to go head to head with baseball they have trouble succeeding. They get virtually no media coverage in those areas while the other areas without baseball get plenty of media coverage. I'm thinking it might be better in the future for MLS to consider expanding to places like Portland, Charlotte, Sacramento, Rochester, New Orleans and Orlando before going to Houston, Seattle, Atlanta, Philly and Phoenix. Why play second fiddle when you can be top dog?

2. yahugaming

yahugaming New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    Don't forget Vancouver, BC! We have no MLB team, the city is relatively more soccer-aware than a lot of other cities, and our USL team draws well.

And I should add that I really do think you are on to something. I think mdeium sized cities works very well as a possible model. Even limiting yourself to cities of that size certainly allows for a lot of possible locations, and, like you say, no competition for the sporting dollar.

And if they can scale it down even more, they can put a team in Butte-Bozeman, Montana: I suggest: Lonesome Butte FC because then the fans could be either the "Butte-heads" or possibly "the Lonely". :)

3. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    The only thing that would get me to drive an hour to Butte willingly is St. Patrick's day and even then I'd have to be pretty drunk.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The reason most leagues want to be in NYC, Chicago, LA, etc., is because of the national television coverage. Presumably, any televised game with the big market teams has sufficient built-in interest and correspondingly high ratings.

MLS, having to rely on gate revenues, is probably better off going to the cities without the established sports competition and with hope to get cable coverage as their source of TV income and advertising.

5. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Flint, Michigan here we come!

6. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I think it's a mix. I think AEG is looking 10 years out and seeing some TV revenue. The adidas deal is huge. Sponsors require a national audience.

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html

I read that NHL's Bettman slept with this list under his pillow (maybe someone was kidding, but the essence is true). The NHL is showing that large markets and TV money can be a trap. Definitely MLS ought to proceed with caution.

But the list is important. Also of importance is the growth of these markets. SLC will keep growing. The families on average have more kids. The religion is growing. They're building up a city now after the Olympics. Columbus is the only major city in Ohio that's growing.

Mostly the Sunbelt is growing but cities like Nashville, New Orleans, Orlando don't have the same kind of average income/jobs that you'll find in Seattle, San Francisco, etc. If you could add to that link market growth, average salary, and ethnic data, then you'll see what MLS is looking at. MLS is committing to Hispanics (primarily Mexican/Central Americans). Salt Lake City has more Hispanics than most think and that population there is growing.

So Houston & Seattle are different than Atlanta & Philly.

There's a lower limit that MLS wants. Right around where Rochester is. MLS isn't excited about Rochester and its stagnant growth.

MLS isn't ignoring "geographic footprint". It's just way down below a bunch of other factors. MLS wants in the Pacific Northwest and Southeast, but won't settle for the wrong situation. For now they'll back off the SE summer humidity anyways.

Competition does seem important. DC (until now), Columbus, & RSL are good examples of MLS filling in where baseball isn't.

19 Sacramnto-Stktn-Modesto 1,315,030 1.200

20 Orlando-Daytona Bch-Melbrn 1,303,150 1.189
    24 Portland, OR 1,086,900 0.992
    25 Indianapolis 1,053,020 0.961
    27 Hartford & New Haven 1,017,530 0.928
    28 Charlotte 1,004,440 0.917
    29 Raleigh-Durham (Fayetvlle) 966,720 0.882
    30 Nashville 916,170 0.836
    34 Columbus, OH 867,490 0.792
    35 Greenvll-Spart-Ashevll-And 813,210 0.742
    36 Salt Lake City 800,000 0.730
    37 San Antonio 748,950

51 Las Vegas 614,150

Baseball's smallest market is #33 (Cincy). Right where that ends, you have 34 C'bus, 36 SLC, and 37 SA. Yeah there's an emerging pattern. Portland & SJ think they might can get baseball. Greenville's area is really spread out without a big city center type of feel. But it's growing. Vegas is really growing so baseball flirted with them. These cities often "want" to be major league. So SLC, SA, C'bus might actually seem to "want" a soccer team in the summer, they realize baseball is not realistic. I think KC really suffers from the competition. The Royals sputtering along maybe has helped recently. Fans ought to realize (like here in Tampa) that's there's almost no chance of being competitive.

I'm not sure MLS wants to go much lower than #37. Especially looking 10-20 years forward. What will the list look like then? Will some TV money come around by then?

So right now I think the list above is useful. But older cities like Hartford probably aren't going to grow. Orlando has much of it's economy based on service jobs. Maybe that's changing, but they're having trouble now keeping the Magic. New Orleans (43) may lose the Saints. The southeast is rough in the summer and while growing, not rich. Indianapolis probably isn't growing much?

So I think Portland is the ideal market on the list. Vancouver & Montreal if looking at Canada.

But also keep an eye on those larger markets at the very top. Especially the ones with large & growing Hispanic populations. SA seems like a very good fit for MLS.

My watch list for the top markets (that I think MLS still really wants in)

4 Philadelphia 2,919,410 2.664
    6 San Francisco-Oak-San Jose 2,359,870 2.153 (SF)
    11 Houston 1,902,810 1.736
    12 Seattle-Tacoma 1,690,640 1.543
    21 St. Louis 1,216,700 (most likely scenerio is a move from KC)

these are the 5 I think we should watch

lesser options
    9 Atlanta 2,059,450 1.879
    10 Detroit 1,943,930 1.774 (not growing)
    13 Tampa-St. Pete (Sarasota) 1,671,040 1.525 (tried it, humid)
    14 Minneapolis-St. Paul 1,665,540 1.520 (probably tops on this list)
    15 Phoenix (Prescott), AZ 1,596,950 1.457 (the desert in the summer?)
    16 Cleveland-Akron (Canton) 1,556,670 1.420 (not growing)
    17 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale 1,496,810 1.366 (see Tampa)

Miami & Atlanta will get serious looks with the right ownership stepping forward. The south has a lot of newcomers and thus some issues with residents not identifying with local teams like those with history in the northeast.

So summing it up, the markets I think coudl be good for MLS (ranked)
    Houston
    Toronto
    Portland (if the give up on baseball)
    Seattle
    Montreal (probably not all 3, 2 would be a stretch)
    Vancouver
    Philly
    SF
    St. Louis

lower tier:
    Rochester (stadium is tempting)
    Indy
    Minneapolis
    Miami
    Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham (not yet)
    Detroit
    Tampa
    OKC
    Birmingham (make the leap to "major league", not kidding)
    Nashville
    Vegas

while the medium-sized theory is great. I only see it taking off to a limited extent. Of course we all need to repeat OWNERSHIP > stadiums > anything else

7. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet!!

8. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    San Jose Earthquakes?

9. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I put (SF) at the end. I think they can be considered either 1 or 2 markets. I don't think much of SF considers SJ to be in "their" market.

10. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Buffalo for MLS!

Or..........not.

11. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure about soccer wise but they wanted to move the Oakland A's to San Jose but the Giants wouldn't allow them to move there, because it was in their market.

12. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I didn't say SJ wasn't part of the SF market. But SF isn't really part of the SJ market. Does that add up? :)

13. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, sure why not..

14. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    This is a trap that has partly led to the problems the NHL has today. They expanded based on market size and national footrint all the while leaving cities with hardcore hockey fans for places where going to a hockey game is a mere curiosity with no history of the sport. They did this all with the hope of getting a huge TV deal. I think MLS should learn a lesson from this. They should go to the place where they have the best chance at succeeding(good stadium deal, lack of competition, good media coverage) rather than the hippest, biggest city. Granted to be considered major league you have to have teams in NY, LA, Chicago and DC but I think it might be smart to have half the league made up of these medium sized cities where you can have stable, successsful franchises.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But see, the Crew do compete against baseball. No, the Columbus Clippers are definitely not in MLB, but they are direct competition for ticket buying, sports going fans. In fact, according to www.kenn.com , some 480,000 fans attended Clippers games in 2003. The Crew, by comparison, saw barely half that number: 243,000.

Half a million parking, hotdog, popcorn, and souvenier buying fans is definitely competition.

16. Pmoliu

Pmoliu New Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Princeton, NJ
    How many games do the clippers play in comparison to the Crew?

Paul

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Based on what? Seriously. No stadium. No ownership. It's just as easy to move a franchise 3,000 miles as it is to move it 200. Please explain any scenario which relocates the Wizards to St. Louis.

But we've had that discussion. It isn't about "markets". It's about ownership and facilities.

Step 1:
    Get an owner

Step 2:
    Get a financially viable facility

Step 3:
    Welcome to MLS

All San Antonio has done is show us that Steps 1 and 2 may be reversed - but then they don't have a team, yet.

18. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    They tried a soccer team in Long Island. It didn't work. Hot soccer Moms, I mean hot bad of soccer Moms. The team was from "A" league.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    72 (minus rainouts/doubleheaders) to 15 in 2003.

But that only affects average attendance. Anyone that doesn't consider half a million sports watching spectators in the same market during the same time of year to be competition is fooling themselves.

20. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I had a feeling someone would bring up AAA baseball. I see your point but its still not the same as going against MLB. The media still views that as minor league while MLS is not tagged with that label. I think the way the media is treating SLC is a perfect example of this. They are being treated the way a new NHL or NBA team would be if they pulled into town. I think it was 2 weeks ago the tribune had a preview with 20 articles on MLS in one day.

22. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Gotta disagree. I think the media definently views soccer in this country as minor league, including MLS.

I think Andy raises a good point: Minor league BB IS part of the overall competitive framework (which consists of a lot of different 'competitors' for soccer fans time and money).,.

23. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Any chance of them being called the Blues? :)

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's irrelevant. He wasn't making a post about the relative popularity of the two sports. He was just making the point that the Clippers suck some money from the Crew.

25. Bacchanal

Bacchanal New Member

Jul 4, 2004
    New York
    I will say this about Raleigh-Durham ... they already have a soccer specific stadium. SAS Stadium only seats 6,000 or so right now but it's incredibly easily expandable. It was built originally for the WUSA's Carolina Courage but has six or so youth fields around it (I played on one of them in the adult rec league I was in and it was pretty nice), has good parking and isn't too far from Raleigh or Durham.

It's one thing to keep in mind. The USL uses it now (as well as any collegiate competition in the area).