Is Klinsmann set up for a huge failure?

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by chelodelgado, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    The latest numbers:
    http://www.presseportal.de/story.htx?nr=798110

3% believe that Germany will win the title

5% think the German team will make the final

13% think they crash out in the semi-finals

26% think the team will only make the quarter-finals

25% think the team will crash out after the round of sixteen

17% think the German team will crash out after preliminary round

66% would forgive Klinsmann a loss to the USA,
    19% feel he should be fired should the German team lose

2. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I didnt know where to post this, but this looks the most appropriate thread

This must be the worst moment in German football history. I am not a big fan of your national team, but I admire them for their ability to get results. I also do not think a world cup will be complete if a German team does not atleast reach the semi's.

The horrible mauling at the hands of Italia.
    The repeat mauling of Bayern at hands of AC Milan in Champions League.
    The fluke, but demoralising win of Juventus vs Werder Bremen in Champions League.
    Win of a weak palermo team over Schalke in UEFA Cup.
    Win of some obscure Romanian outfit against Vfb Stuttgart in UEFA Cup.
    The FIFA rankings gone below 20, with teams like Iran and Japan making it ahead of Die Klinsmänner.
    Robert Hoyzer match fixing case.
    Schweinsteiger match fixing allegations.
    Klinsmann spending more time on the beaches of California getting a sun tan, rather than scouting and improvising with the team.
    Lack of hope shown by almost all German greats, like Beckenbauer, Hoeness, Sammer etc who don't have much hope in this team.
    What is more suprising is that the German people have lost hope in their own team.

I am sure Fritz Walter must be turning in his grave seeing all this. What is wrong with DFB? Why are they having nobodies like Huth,Hitzlsperger, Asamoah etc in the nationalelf? If one is to compare player for player, this team is stronger than the one that played in World Cup 2002.

I still think Germany will suprise all to have a good world cup. They should top their group, and win against Sweden (hopefully Paraguay) in a dull and dirty game. When they reach quarters, given the present state of mind of everyone, it would look like an achievement, and the players will be more relaxed. It is then I suspect, that Germany could match any team.
    I predict a semifinal or a final spot.

3. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Thank you for the update

If Klinsi could reach the final, it would be too cruel to see him go.

4. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    There were a few worse moments actually. For example, when they announced that Ribbeck would take over the national team - ouch! Or the 3-0 drubbing at Euro 2000 by Portugal B. It looks far better now than back then. Still, it doesn't look good of course, but one should also not forget that Germany drew with Holland, France and Argentina recently so the 4-1 now should be taken with a grain of salt.

5. Dutch_Master

Dutch_Master New Member

May 10, 2005
    Holland
    Isn't it lovely to see the Germans struggle like this? :D

6. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Stomme Kaaskop! Nu, als Oranje dan maar niet wint is het nog oke... en wij weten natuurlijk dat het alweer niet zal gebeuren. :D

7. Dutch_Master

Dutch_Master New Member

May 10, 2005
    Holland
    Kalm aan Franz-Josef :p Oranje doet tenminste mee om de prijzen! Als Oranje in de finale speelt zit Klinsi thuis achter de buis. En vergeet '88 niet! :D

8. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Euros tellen niet echt, dat weet jij ook. :)

Eigenlijk zal ik het leuk vinden als jullie gaan winnen. Jullie zijn echt aan de beurt. Succes dus!

9. Dutch_Master

Dutch_Master New Member

May 10, 2005
    Holland
    Wij zijn inderdaad aan de beurt :mad: Maar bedankt ;)

10. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    should i learn dutch now to read german forum:)

11. Dutch_Master

Dutch_Master New Member

May 10, 2005
    Holland
    It's not bad to be multilingual eh? ;)

12. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    It's just a German dialect anyway, not so different from what they speak in pepper's village (see the webpage DF posted in the other thread). :)

13. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i understood what you said:)..my dutch friend....
    but i can not answer you in dutch or this dialect...i only can read it and understand:)

14. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    haha..i know now:)..thanks

15. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    LOL!!!

16. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh yeah, I actually forgot that loss. What made it worse, was that it was the last time Lothar Mathäus played. It was like a farewell game for him. A player like him deserves a more respectful exit.

To Dutch_Master:
    I saw the Germany vs Holland game. Germany played without Podolski and Schweinsteiger. They still managed a draw at Rotterdam. And Italy defeated you guys too, by a very comfortable margin, I think that was in Holland too. I do not know what makes you so optimistic. You are not much better than Germany right now. And in all likelyhood, in 3 months time, some tactical changes by Klinsmann + intense criticism by media and Beckenbauer and fans + traditional German propensity to perform good in world cups + krombacher will mean that they start the tournaments stronger than your team.
    Also they have an easier group.
    Only your jersey is better ( by a very big margin) than the German jersey.

I am no fan of German football, but gut feeling and logic both tell me that the position the German team is in now, when no one expects much of them, is the type of psychological condition they need to do well at world cups.

17. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  18. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nah, the orange colour sucks!

It's only good for traffic cops standing at the middle of nowhere when the traffic lights stop to function.

19. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  20. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
  21. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    yeah, very subtle and intrigue piece of work from Uli.

The world cup is a straight road ahead round the corner. No turning back nor shelters for a recess.

Solidarity and re-building team spirit is important at this stage. It's good the Dfb and Merkel have reacted postively towards meeting these ends.

All Germany needs to do is to muster whatever resources possible to help the NT perform the best they can.

Think about Greece in Euro 2004.

22. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have read some of Uli's articles earlier too on soccernet.com. He is a good writer, and has a decent sense of humour too, but he is very pessemistic ( read extreme case of realism). He was even pessemistic before the Euro cup 2004 competition and the World cup in 2002.

23. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    I haven't read those, and I've also read a few bad/superficial articles by him, but I wouldn't blame anyone who was being pessimistic before WC 2002 or Euro 2004.

24. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC

Uli is pretty level headed when it comes to writing about the National team. I see him as more realistic, than pesimistic

25. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is all very fishy. This seems like a joint strategy by the media, Beckenbauer and the fans to criticize the German team very severely before the world cup, so that they are not considered as favourites before any tournament. I think the same was the case in World cup 2002 and world cup 1990 and world cup 1994. Once the tournament starts, no one expects them to play good, but they do good, and so their oponents who are expecting a relatively easy match, end up facing a tough team. Then Germany have the psychological advantage, and win the game in penalties. Too far fetched? :D

I am also having doubts over the 4-1 loss to Italy. I am begining to think it was all intentional and is a ruse.:p