Is it time to panic already

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by polska26, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Mexico is interesting................partly because their home crowd can turn on them fast. We've seen that before at the Azteca as well. Was it our 1990 WCQ there were they ended up "ole-ing" for all of our passes like they did for Jamaica last night?

And unlike the USMNT coach, there's enormous pressure on the Mexico coach. One more bad result, and the water will get boiling under him.

Last cycle we started with a 2-0 home win against Mexico, and most people in general had confidence about qualification after that. We knew it wasn't going to be easy, but the pressure was lifted by that first win.

When you start with a poor performance, the heat just gets turned up a little more. A little doubt creeps in even though you know that a road loss to a good team isn't going to determine qualification for you.

By the way, last cycle El Salvador was no "patsy" as we know. The US and Mexico both failed to beat them at their place. And let's not forget that Mexico didn't beat T&T on the road either. And in T&T the US struggled, winning 1-0 on that nice goal by Ricardo Clark. This is just the way CONCACAF WCQ is. There are no easy games. The games against the "lesser" teams can become street-brawls or an excercise in trying to get around a bunker. And the gap between Mexico/USA and the Central American teams isn't as wide as some think it is. Panama has beaten the US on US soil this cycle, so we know they're not going to be an easy animal to deal with.

And for those that say the other Hex teams are better this time..........that might be true. But we tend to think we should win every game. Only about 16 points will be needed to qualify. Don't think about our results in a vacuum. [Panam's result yesterday was worse than our result even though they got a point on the board.] It's going to perhaps be tighter than previous cycles, but I still have confidence that over the cource of the 10 games..........we'll end up in the top 3.

2. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    The Initial groups of 4 in the previous Hexes have always fallen in a way were a couple of decent teams were in really tough groups. They have always fallen kindly for us since the process began. Didn't happen this time.

Yes, these teams are getting better organizationally, professionally and experience wise...our roster suggests we are also...but something's clearly missing.

Again, we lack punch and direction IMO...other fans and obviously the coaches see this. It is pretty damn obvious. They have improved, but it's not just that.

3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. The entire region has improved pretty much at the same rate (give or take) and Mexico has a golden generation of talent right now. That's it.

Everything else is coaching, health, and the soccer gods.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Will it be worth it, to qualify playing no better than Honduras last cycle? They went to South Africa, what for? 1 tie and 2 losses. And out.

Excellency repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Those two losses in the World Cup were to Spain and Chile. They drew with a pretty darn good Switzerland team.

Honduras also just went to the Olympics, and impressed a lot of people. They beat Spain, and gave Brazil all they could handle.

Here's what the US looks like over the past two years.

U17: Made World Cup, then failed to beat Uzbekistan and New Zealand in group phase. Destroyed by Germany in first knockout round.
    U20s: Failed to qualify for WC
    U23: Failed to qualify for Olympics
    Gold Cup: Lost our first group game ever to Panama. Squeeked into final before losing to Mexico.

So I dont' think we have any leg to stand on poking fun at Honduras' record.

I think Honduras is much better than people are giving them credit for. We know many of their players. Many of them are now in MLS or came thru MLS. We just helped develop Andy Najar and Roger Espinoza, and sold them abroad.

Mr Martin, xbhaskarx and Excellency repped this.
  6. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    How quickly you forget that they were DECIMATED with injuries at the WC. To the point where they were missing what would be the equivalent of Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley and a few other role players at one point.

It was bad, but they did all they could with what they had. Had they been healthy, I think last cycle was probably their most talented, even more than the current group they have...but they couldn't.

However, the scary thing is they are still missing Izaguirre, Chavez and Najar from this group.

They will only improve imo.

Excellency repped this.
  7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    No, El Sal wasn't a patsy...but they weren't up to the better teams. Sure, they could beat or tie folks at home, but for a while CR, Hondo, US and Mex were playing chicken. Win at home, lose o the road.

El Sal, while a thorn wasn't a Hex threat.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I wasn't trying to poke fun at Honduras. Right now they are a solid team already, and with their full squad I'd say they may already be even with the USA. What I'm trying to express is my worry, not so much for the results (more or less expected, let's be honest), but by the way the team keeps playing.

It's not looking good. Still good enough to qualify, but then what? Playing like that and having to face Spain, Chile and Switzerland in the WC (injuries or not, missing players or not), the USA wouldn't do any better than Honduras did last cycle. Three, and out. Unceremoniously.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    When we consider Honduras..........................we need to remember that they're a football mad country with a population larger than that of Uruguay, Croatia, Serbia, Paraguay, Denmark, Norway, or Ireland.

Losing at Honduras ain't a sign of the apocolypse.

If we lose to Costa Rica at home in the next match, I think we can then start panicking to some degree. Because three points is unlikely in out 3rd game at Mexico.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Honduras are playing like happy warriors. They were well prepared, mentally and otherwise. Jamaica are putting it together and are in the ascendency with a tough home field advantage. Mexico has talent to spare. Right now it looks like USA, Panama and CR battling it out for the 4th spot. We should make it with a win against CR in Denver in March.

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Indeed, I actually didn't realize this.

They have a massively talented pool of players...all it will take is one solid WC performance for them to be noticed by the world. It really should have happened in '10, what a shame.

12. clebo99

clebo99 Member

May 28, 2006
    Not sure if this has been said yet, but all the teams are getting better and I credit MLS for this. Now these players in Central America have a good stable league to play in (not that their domestic leagues are horrible or anything, but MLS is better).

The US just needs to hold serve at home and take a few points on the road. I agree that probably 16 points puts a team through. Mexico tying at home is huge as well as the Panama tie.

Berks repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Can't say that after one game.........................

Call me after the 5th game.

With the knowledge that our 2nd set of 5 games on paper are easier than our first 5. [Because the road games in Mexico, Honduras, and Jamaica are in our 1st 5].

14. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to reiterate that Mexico tying to Jamaica was bad for us.

I think there is huge pressure for the next game to be a win. Our next match after that is in Mexico. I think realistically we can't expect more than 1 point from Mexico.

If we don't beat Costa Rica we could be looking at going into Jamaica for our 4th game still in last place. I'm not panicked yet, by any means, but I am concerned.

We'll get to see how the pressure gets handled, that's for sure.

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I cant call you right now after the 5th game because we have only played one game right now.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Right...........one loss in a game we should have been expected to be an underdog in.

I'm not happy we didn't pick up any points there, but it's not really going to play a role in whether we qualify or not.

We need ~16 points to qualify. Out of 30.

Win your home games, scratch a point or two on the road...........and you're fine. That's CONCACAF WCQing.

That's why the worst result for any team yesterday was Panama dropping two points at home to Costa Rica. By far the worst. Mexico's going to pick up points on the road to overcome their two points dropped at home yesterday. But Panama's next two games are at Mexico and home to Honduras I believe.....................

Berks repped this.
  17. onegoalatatime

onegoalatatime New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    miami
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    the U.S will qualify, i am not concerned. Honduras and Mexico are the other 2 team that will make it through with Jamaica probably finishing in 4th and with a chance to still qualify.

18. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    One point out of second place.

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Donovan doesn't play we are going to have to fight and claw to qualify and have virtually no hope of getting out of group.

If he does play, we'll get by fairly comfortably. We have no wing play to speak of. No real aerial threats up top. The CB pairing is completely new. And our forward crop scares absolutely no one. And our best players (Dempsey, Bradley, Jones) are all quite capable of laying big eggs at inopportune times.

The manager refused to play Jones (or Bradley) as a six, and also refuses to sit either, but insists on playing a DM behind one or both. Which kills the flank and the midfield attack.

20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we fail to win at home against Costa Rica, then we can panic.

Berks repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Biggest Loser was Panama. Dropping points to Costa Rica is going to cost them. The Ticos were their direct competition for that 4th spot.

Tying Panama at home is a big thing. I'm not even sure the USA can do it. So I think the Ticos will get that 4th ticket. Jamaica tied Mexico playing well, but truth be told, that Mexico didn't seem to be trying too hard.

22. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes we let one slip away but...
    Coach Klinsman.jpg

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If I were Landon, I'd be loath to return. At this point, people are starting to see him as a savior. Which he may well be. But still, when people start seeing you that way, no matter what you do, you won't please them, and you end up crucified.

24. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not as many in a single year.

We got a result @Italy and Mexico in Azteca. Say what you want, but those results were as meaningful to this program/more so than the ones you mentioned.

Seriously, I'm not interested in a shit spinning contest. I stated as such in my first post.

25. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

Hell yea it would be worth it... was it worth in 211 when the NY Giants finished 9-7 and limped into the playoffs? yes they went on the win the SB. Look qualifying will never be easy or pretty..just accept it. The goal it to get to the WC and then take it from there