Is it time to consider a team WITHOUT Altidore?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DCURFK, Dec 17, 2013.

1. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, Edu has checked out mentally.
    He should probably consider coming back to the MLS.

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That won't get him back in the picture. He needs to go to a league that challenges him to improve his game not just be comfortable while still being good enough to get off the bench. Can't be a top 4 league but other good leagues exist

3. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's rarely seeing the ball -- and that has nothing to do with his runs -- the Sunderland midfield are really looking to shoot than looking to facilitate from what I've seen -- except for Giaccherini. They majority of their shots come from outside the box -- and they're averaging a woeful 2.7 shots on target a game -- ouch. I do think they will get better now, it seems they're starting to turn the season around a bit. I think Jozy's chances will increase as the season goes on (or at least let's hope so).

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...amStatistics/England-Premier-League-2013-2014

He get so much more space playing for the Nats, but that's because everyone is looking to get him the ball whether it be Fabian or Graham or whoever is on the wings. This is just not the case at Sunderland .

Konut repped this.
  4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adam Johnson is a big culprit in that

5. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to switch to CB.

6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd have to play for a long ball style team cause any team looking for their cbs to play the ball on the ground out of the back would never trust edu to play there. Assuming were taking about a decent league as well. In a weaker league it would be less of a problem as he'd have a lot of time on the ball like in turkey. But when under any sort of pressure he's just disgusting when passing.

7. Socrates76

Socrates76 New Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Bring him back to MLS. He'll play a full ninety every week. Bada-bing-badda-boom.

8. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm much more worried about Dempsey then I am with Altidore

Xenimus, Wessoman and truefan420 repped this.
  9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    We got AJ to carry the team to glory. No worries...

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like its offical upon clearance of medical he will be heading to Fulham. Hopefully he regains his form.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So quick to annoint him after just ... 5 caps?

12. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's kidding he thinks AJ is overrate on here if I'm not mistaken.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He's alright as a center forward the one position he has both played and excelled in at club level. 'bout 3rd on the depth chart if one is being realistic.

14. Brian Chenault

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I don't understand the need of a lot of posters on here too bash a player or make smartass remarks about them if they like other players. Im a big fan of Jozy, Deuce, Boyd, and Agudelo, yet I feel no need to bash people who like AJ. Just like im a big Cameron fan but feel no need to bash Evans or act like im smarter than JK.

ckl26 repped this.
  15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I also feel no need to bash players, as my interests lie mainly in tactics rather than personalities. Now if someone is constantly gainsaying a player like for example Clint Demspey in order to promote another like for example AJ then a little smack may be coming. No big deal.

16. Brian Chenault

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I get you it just seems like these days if you pay a player a compliment in a thread it pretty soon dissolves into: you are stupid that player sucks this player is miles better JK is an idiot for not seeing it...........no you are stupid my guy is the best player ever and JK is a god among men. (obvious hyperbole for effect).

17. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The reason why I'm more worried about Dempsey is because he had the tools around him to succeed in a league that is generally rated slightly below England's 2nd tier. Furthermore, Clint has a lot work ahead of him because he only scored 1 goal and 1 assist in the MLS, the goal was a chip in from ~6 yards out which he didn't have to beat the GK in 921 mins of play and was invisible in the playoffs (besides set pieces which he didn't capitalize on). He absolutely must show that he can bring the old Clint Dempsey back to life. He has 7 games to do it, 3 of which will be against 'Pool, Man U, and Arsenal so this is a fantastic opportunity...I'd like to see at least 3 goals. If he goes scoreless, however like he almost did in the MLS, then there's no reason to think that AJ (who is having a stellar season for AZ) couldn't take his spot. Lastly, Clint had some pretty forgettable showings for the US ever since June the 2nd. Obviously Clint has the reputation, but if AJ has the hot hand and Clint approaches his loan like he did with his time with the Sounders it's certainly a situation that should be thought out.

Jozy on the other, unlike Dempsey, has not had the tools around him to succeed. Sunderland's midfield is woeful and the guy is given literally no service. Now, should all the blame be put on his supporting cast? No, because Jozy has had some good scoring opportunities...however I think if he were playing for a Hertha Berlin or Lazio you'd see him having much more success.

Xenimus, Wessoman, Konut and 1 other person repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Demps has only to show JK that he can do what is needed in Brazil. He can do that at Fulham, at camp, in a friendly or back in MLS.

Demps will on the plane to Brasil. Whether he is a key starting component for the US will depend on his play in April, May, June, not the past 4 months.

This boner you have for the demise of Demps is pretty funny. That's ok, Shea will save the day.

futbal4eva repped this.
  19. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I dont wish upon Dempsey's "demise" whatsoever, quite the opposite actually...I just have extremely high expectations for a player like Clint like JK does with Landon or Jozy, so if anything I admire him and his playing abilities more then almost anyone on the team. However I haven't seen any of that as he's massively underperformed since June 2nd for club and country.

What is needed in Brazil from him is the old Clint Dempsey...if his Seattle Sounders form is the best he can bring to the plate that will not suffice and he may be passed over in the starting 11. I agree he'll be on the plane to Brazil, however you cannot ignore the past 6 months...I'm not sure he'll be able to all of a sudden magically improve his form to sub-par play in the MLS to impact player against the likes of L'pool and Arsenal especially if Berbatov bolts.

Not sure why Shea is being brought up...he missed his shot with Stoke/Austria...in fact I'd maybe take Julian Green over him now. I originally thought he might be good as an impact sub but he seems to be a major liability on defense (Austria match/Everton match). Anyways, this is derailing the thread topic at hand.

20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been considering a team w/out Altidore for at least two years:

-----------Howard----------
    Dolo---Gonzo---Besler---Beasley
    --------Jones---Bradley----
    LD/Zusi/Bedoya----------FJ
    ---Dempsey/LD----AJ/Clint/Boyd------

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Jozy is the best striker for us. He has the experience. He knows what his teammates can do. And I'm sure he's ready to perform in Brazil. Now of course some more goals before season's end should ease ours and his worries.

22. gunnerstahl

gunnerstahl Member

Sep 7, 2013
    This game versus Norwich Jozy looks out of position alot. It seems like the past few games now where Sunderland are actually passing through the midfield and reach the final third he has not been playing well in terms of his off-ball movement and position. The team playing well is exposing his weakness of off-ball positioning.

23. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    The answer is yes. He beyond regressed this campaign. Maddening watching him of late

24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    by all means bring Herulez Gomez back into the team. He hustles. Right?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    when your teammates don't pass to you or actually make the effort, any striker would look bad.