Is It Time for Gabarra to Go?

Discussion in 'Washington Freedom' started by cwimmer77, Jul 29, 2010.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Consultant" may just be a better term for "acting assistant coach." I would guess she's being tried out for the rest of the 2010 season and will be upgraded if it works out.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, gotcha. So Gabarra is a lame duck. It'll be interesting to see how that works out in the end. They could still sneak into the playoffs.

4. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I was actually thinking that she's being tried out as the new assistant coach and will keep the job if it's shown she can help the team. But replacing Gabarra is certainly another possibility. The bit in the statement about retaining Gabarra "for the remainder of the season" clearly implies that change thereafter is under serious consideration.

5. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great material for a reality show on FSC.

6. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I wouldn't want to be Gabarra right now - "keeping him for the rest of the season." Now we have the answer to "what's worse than the dreaded vote of confidence?"

Hopefully management has been very clear about how Hayes and Gabarra will work together - this could really toxic really fast . . .

As far as hiring coaches from outside - money talks. Nothing would say "WPS is sticking around" like seeing the Freedom hire a new coach on a 3 year guaranteed deal. Keeping Gabarra through this year might allow for a really effective search - allowing the Freedom to name someone at the end of the college season.

7. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jerrry Foley - GM at Philly on Twitter just now.

"I am thinking going back to Coaching is what will be best for me, not sure when but who knows."

Just a possibility.

8. cwimmer77

cwimmer77 Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Positioning himself, I like it.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like people that openly campaign for other people's jobs.

And Terry Foley has been the GM for Philly since ~mid June. iirc, at the time it was said Foley was moving positions in part to allow more time to give more focus to the youth club in which he's involved.

10. cwimmer77

cwimmer77 Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not say he is "openly" campaining just putting himself in possition in case the job becomes available. You see this in sports all the time. its his way of showing availability.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have added that I wasn't saying Foley was openly campaigning. Your point is taken. But people can "show availability" in ways other than posting on twitter and in ways other than gunning for other people's jobs.

12. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main thing is this is a very competitive, very balanced league - they're all good teams! I admit to some skepticism about the depth of Washington's roster but I realize budget considerations do come into play. Asante, if she's fully recovered, can help you a lot. She was a very integral part of Sky Blue's success last year. If she helps solidify the back line that allows Washington to play Bompastor in the midifield and, if needed, Nikki Marshall at forward. That may be all you need to make a run at the playoffs.

Look at Boston: their hot streak is largely traceable to Kelly Smith getting hot and being moved to the striker position. That was made possible by, A) Leslie Osborne regaining form in the midfield and, B) Jordan Angeli taking a midfield spot. And Angeli's moving to the midfield has been facilitated by Ifeoma Dieke filling in on the backline. So a little chain of related changes has helped fuel Boston's resurgence. Something similar, though less dramatic, can happen with Washington.

Injuries are hurting Washington, though. Losing McLeod and DeVanna hurts. And it's hampered the return of Britanny Bock who, when fully recovered, will make a solid contribution.

13. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Agree with this view of how balanced and tight the league really is, with the exception of Pride, all the other teams are capable of beating each other and games often decided by slimmest of margins. Washington has struggled (but so has NJ who have gotten a few more breaks). There are a lot of teams out there not playing up to their potential (cough, cough, Chic, NJ, ATL) and struggling.

I like the fact that team doing something and trying to improve, albeit perhaps in a controversial way. Every game counts in a tight playoff race.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true & good points. And this has really been a lost season for Bock after such a great season last year.

15. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    What do you think about Sawa sitting on the bench and the zero SOG for the playoff game?

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought sitting Sawa was the right move. She's been a shadow of her previous self in the games I've seen and far too easily dispossessed (particularly by physical teams). I thought Bock was superior but the piece on the wps site says her substitution was forced (foot problem again).

I sort of feel that Washington has the feel of a team that needs to be blown up (good pieces that just haven't come together as a winning unit) to get better so I'm not exactly giving Gabarra a sterling grade for the season but sitting Sawa Sat wasn't a bad move in my book.

18. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I think the loss of De Vanna really hurt them, her and Abby were a good pairing up top.

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QFT

Abby does best w/ a running mate. She never really had one this season. She looked exhausted (physically but I think more emotionally) the 2nd half of the season.

20. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Mykjåland never really panned out as an alternative. I'm not sure what happened there - she seemed to do well early on, but late in the season you'd scarcely know she was on the field.

21. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't know if Sawa is easy to dispossess but instead of her, you have players (not neccesarily Bock who did not show me anything this weekend) who give the ball away themselves or do not have a creative bone in their bodies!
    This team, at the start of the WPS, looks promising to be one of the top teams, if not the best, and it just does not look very good right now.

22. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I thought she was very noticable. The commentators also noticed that she turned the ball over most of the time she touched it.

23. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not what people were saying during preseason:

#5 #3 #4 #3

BigSoccer members: 6-5-1-2-5-2-7-2

24. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Not pre-season this year. I said start of WPS.